First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 12/12 build date so just wondering when you will be available to come to my house to give me a big hand, p.s. bring your welder πŸ˜‰
Sponsored

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That is a very purposeful and solid build. Thanks for sharing man! Great bumper work!!! Very impressive!

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is a long post. I was going to start a build thread a year ago, but work and life have kept me busy. With a few weeks off, I decided to catch you all up. We picked up our FE in November 2021 from Granger Ford. We ordered the factory tow wiring and hitch, remote keypad (relocated to the fuel door) and the rear fixed-lid cargo enclosure. It remained stock and served as my road trip vehicle to work at Bronco Off-Roadeo MOAB for 3 months or so:

IMG_9359.jpeg

My first modification was hood struts. Not sure why this is so hard for manufacturers, but is one of my only complaints. While I was doing that, I installed an underhood light with an override switch at the same time:

IMG_0066.jpeg

Some extra storage in the form of some Molle door pockets and the Mabbet center console organizer. Then added the archetype BYOB. After loading up recovery gear, I used this for a couple of trail recoveries, but held off on the winter recoveries until I had time to build my bumper and winch mount.

IMG_0130.jpeg

In March, my brother and I build a bumper and modified the factory skid plate to match. At about the same time, I traded the gloss black grille and mirror heads for the grey badlands to reduce the amount different color trim. To be honest, the gloss items look fantastic on the Antimatter Blue Broncos!

IMG_0141.jpeg

You can see the front crash bar mount was cut back and boxed in.

IMG_0179.jpeg

67207133890__1243DC6A-1238-4F48-AABC-FA3F8219DF5C.jpeg

I added the JCR camera relocation kit after getting the bumper and skid plate powder coated. The front bumper is mostly 1/4" and designed to support a much bigger winch (but I had this laying around after a $199 sale a few years ago). The recovery points are also designed and mounted to support it being towed behind my RV. The squadron-R SAE driving lights were wired into the existing bumper wiring and I added the new headlight switch and associated Forscan tuning to get it working. The winch line is Masterpull Superline XD, which is a 3/8 line armored and heat-treated to be as strong as 7/16. Plus no clean-up!

A140E521-3664-4D3D-9D69-D1F8696123B3.jpeg

The roller fairlead had to go, as it showed in the front camera. I purchased a Factor 55 fairlead that didn't have their logo printed on it. Cleaner look for sure.

67467646755__7E1B99F9-5088-46AC-92BD-7477D046EC9E.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

Then it was time for more light, and Baja Designs had their XD80s listed. Best customer experience ever; I texted to see if they were available. They send a picture back showing them in their hands and they were shipped a few hours later! I made a video comparing them to just the high-beams. You can watch that here:

IMG_1515.jpeg

With front protection taken care of, it was time for some frame-mounted rock sliders. the rockers were clearanced for movement of the bars (side of the frame has a bit of flex) welded back up and painted. Then the tubes were bent and installed:

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

Time for a rear bumper. The factory bumper has a few flaws, including the snap-in license plate can be ripped out going over obstacles due to the overhand on the left bottom corner. My brother was in town, so I enlisted his help again. You can see I am not a fab shop, just doing the best I can with tools and skills I have, and overcoming obstacles (no pun intended) as needed:

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2190.jpeg

The tow hitch was incorporated into the bumper so the frame crossbar didn't have to take all the force when winching (anchored) or towing. It also pulled it further off the ground so it isn't as much a "touch" point!

68330808612__F67AE262-554A-4748-9196-906C00197F73.jpeg

You can see the recovery points were also cut off, and swapped so they were facing up. They still protect the bumper, but are no longer hanging down to drag off rocks. The tow wiring was then reinstalled with a 7-pin plug under the bumper after this picture was taken:

IMG_2467.jpeg

It was then time for a lift. I added an Icon 3" lift kit (a full inch shorter than the zone 3" I just installed on a friend's Bronco). The Falken Wildpeaks were on a 4-month backorder, but these work so well in the snow of Colorado. Method 17x8.5 wheels (0 offset) were an easy choice, although I feel like a Toyota ;).

IMG_2447.jpeg

I added a Hammerbilt tailgate reinforcement kit along with a 2 gallon fuel container and a ham radio antenna mount. I also installed the Oracle flush-mounted taillights. The backup lights are far brighter than the stock units, and the fuel can lock no longer hits the tailgate when opening.

IMG_5391.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

I added some rock lights. I generally use these more often for installing/removing tire chains (watch front chain clearance with a stock offset wheel):

IMG_3084.jpeg

I like trail communications, so in addition to GMRS/FRS and an inReach satellite messenger, I added a ham radio, which also allow text and email as well. Since the head unit is remote, I put the radio under the dash and located the radio up above the passenger visor where I can see and reach it, but is out of sight when turned off.

IMG_2134.jpeg

Like a few others on this forum, I made a quick disconnect for my ham radio. This way, the microphone can be stored away unless I am using it.

IMG_2133.jpeg

Recently added the FPP 2.7 tune (and have installed a few others). What a difference it makes. After helping a friend with his lift and driving it to get aligned, I remembered the lack of throttle response and early shifting after installing the 37s. I don't have that anymore! Plus, I can keep an eye on my fuel octane:

IMG_2533.jpeg

Lots of other little mods that make life better, pull handles above the doors, a dog carrier in the rear (so I can store things on the seat) and of course, a bunch of recovery gear filing the cargo area!

IMG_3108.jpeg

309442278_798105581446257_2593622727100653733_n.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_5372.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2181.jpeg
That looks awesome!

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is a long post. I was going to start a build thread a year ago, but work and life have kept me busy. With a few weeks off, I decided to catch you all up. We picked up our FE in November 2021 from Granger Ford. We ordered the factory tow wiring and hitch, remote keypad (relocated to the fuel door) and the rear fixed-lid cargo enclosure. It remained stock and served as my road trip vehicle to work at Bronco Off-Roadeo MOAB for 3 months or so:

IMG_9359.jpeg

My first modification was hood struts. Not sure why this is so hard for manufacturers, but is one of my only complaints. While I was doing that, I installed an underhood light with an override switch at the same time:

IMG_0066.jpeg

Some extra storage in the form of some Molle door pockets and the Mabbet center console organizer. Then added the archetype BYOB. After loading up recovery gear, I used this for a couple of trail recoveries, but held off on the winter recoveries until I had time to build my bumper and winch mount.

IMG_0130.jpeg

In March, my brother and I build a bumper and modified the factory skid plate to match. At about the same time, I traded the gloss black grille and mirror heads for the grey badlands to reduce the amount different color trim. To be honest, the gloss items look fantastic on the Antimatter Blue Broncos!

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

67207133890__1243DC6A-1238-4F48-AABC-FA3F8219DF5C.jpeg

I added the JCR camera relocation kit after getting the bumper and skid plate powder coated. The front bumper is mostly 1/4" and designed to support a much bigger winch (but I had this laying around after a $199 sale a few years ago). The recovery points are also designed and mounted to support it being towed behind my RV. The squadron-R SAE driving lights were wired into the existing bumper wiring and I added the new headlight switch and associated Forscan tuning to get it working. The winch line is Masterpull Superline XD, which is a 3/8 line armored and heat-treated to be as strong as 7/16. Plus no clean-up!

A140E521-3664-4D3D-9D69-D1F8696123B3.jpeg

The roller fairlead had to go, as it showed in the front camera. I purchased a Factor 55 fairlead that didn't have their logo printed on it. Cleaner look for sure.

67467646755__7E1B99F9-5088-46AC-92BD-7477D046EC9E.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

Then it was time for more light, and Baja Designs had their XD80s listed. Best customer experience ever; I texted to see if they were available. They send a picture back showing them in their hands and they were shipped a few hours later! I made a video comparing them to just the high-beams. You can watch that here:

IMG_1515.jpeg

With front protection taken care of, it was time for some frame-mounted rock sliders. the rockers were clearanced for movement of the bars (side of the frame has a bit of flex) welded back up and painted. Then the tubes were bent and installed:

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

Time for a rear bumper. The factory bumper has a few flaws, including the snap-in license plate can be ripped out going over obstacles due to the overhand on the left bottom corner. My brother was in town, so I enlisted his help again. You can see I am not a fab shop, just doing the best I can with tools and skills I have, and overcoming obstacles (no pun intended) as needed:

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2190.jpeg

The tow hitch was incorporated into the bumper so the frame crossbar didn't have to take all the force when winching (anchored) or towing. It also pulled it further off the ground so it isn't as much a "touch" point!

68330808612__F67AE262-554A-4748-9196-906C00197F73.jpeg

You can see the recovery points were also cut off, and swapped so they were facing up. They still protect the bumper, but are no longer hanging down to drag off rocks. The tow wiring was then reinstalled with a 7-pin plug under the bumper after this picture was taken:

IMG_2467.jpeg

It was then time for a lift. I added an Icon 3" lift kit (a full inch shorter than the zone 3" I just installed on a friend's Bronco). The Falken Wildpeaks were on a 4-month backorder, but these work so well in the snow of Colorado. Method 17x8.5 wheels (0 offset) were an easy choice, although I feel like a Toyota ;).

IMG_2447.jpeg

I added a Hammerbilt tailgate reinforcement kit along with a 2 gallon fuel container and a ham radio antenna mount. I also installed the Oracle flush-mounted taillights. The backup lights are far brighter than the stock units, and the fuel can lock no longer hits the taillights when opening.

IMG_5391.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

I added some rock lights. I generally use these more often for installing/removing tire chains (watch front chain clearance with a stock offset wheel):

IMG_3084.jpeg

I like trail communications, so in addition to GMRS/FRS and an inReach satellite messenger, I added a ham radio, which also allow text and email as well. Since the head unit is remote, I put the radio under the dash and located the radio up above the passenger visor where I can see and reach it, but is out of sight when turned off.

IMG_2134.jpeg

Like a few others on this forum, I made a quick disconnect for my ham radio. This way, the microphone can be stored away unless I am using it.

IMG_2133.jpeg

Recently added the FPP 2.7 tune (and have installed a few others). What a difference it makes. After helping a friend with his lift and driving it to get aligned, I remembered the lack of throttle response and early shifting after installing the 37s. I don't have that anymore! Plus, I can keep an eye on my fuel octane:

IMG_2533.jpeg

Lots of other little mods that make life better, pull handles above the doors, a dog carrier in the rear (so I can store things on the seat) and of course, a bunch of recovery gear filing the cargo area!

IMG_3108.jpeg

309442278_798105581446257_2593622727100653733_n.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_5372.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2181.jpeg
The bumpers look awesome - nice work. Also, finally someone installed rock lights correctly - lighting the ground and not the wheel well. Can you provide more detail on how you mounted them and which lights you went with?

Hank 615

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm very much interested in the details of your radio setups, it looks awesome

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Great job! I really like the cardboard templates! My kind of fab. Maybe explains my enjoyment of watching FabRats and MORR.

Really good work. Thanks for posting!

Darrell

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, you hit it out of the park with those bumpers. You should sell the rights to a manufacturer and reap the benefits of your design. I would buy a set that is the best I've seen so far. Great job!!!

Hedrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr EG Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bumpers are 11/10, absolutely killer job. Great rig, too. How’d you get the job working at Off-Roadeo?

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok, how is it that you single handedly build bumpers that are EXACTLY what we the people want. all you overpriced, under built bumper companies take note. This man has checked ALL the boxes. Where do I buy these lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here are the radio install details. I wanted the ham radio to be tucked out of the way when not in use. So I put in a few extra steps to make that happen. Since my Yeasu FTM400XDR has a remote head unit, it made it easy to put each components out of the way, but still completely functional.

The antenna external mounting was a piece of cake. I used the Hammerbilt optional bracket on my tailgate reinforcement. Easy part over.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 03792205-01ED-47A1-B2C5-60B0E09DC227

Routing the coax cable was a bit tougher. The factory manual makes getting these panels off much easier. No clips were damaged in removing this!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2129

You shouldn't need a laptop to pull a few panels, but that's where we are these days!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2130

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2128

With the antenna mounted and coax run to the front of the dash, I was able to use a right angle drill to make a few holes to mount the radio itself behind the under-dash fuse box. Yes, I missed the location on the first hole-punch, it is almost impossible to get yourself under the dash to see anything. Next time, the seat comes out, but I was thinking "two, holes. How hard can that be?" The bottom hole was easier to get a punch into. Don't drill too far, you will reach right into a fuse box. I used a short-reach bit to keep me out of trouble, but I have taped on washers, nuts, and such to provide a positive stop when necessary

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2012

My latest Yeasu had a mounting bracket that didn't allow for any slip-fits. I swapped the mounting brackets with the year-older bracket in my Samurai. It made it way easier to slip the radio in with two screws loosely installed then fight to get the other upper started.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2014

I fit the radio into the bracket with the SD card opening and the microphone and head-unit connections facing out. That did leave the coax cable connection in the back which took a little work to install, but the programming cable (USB) connection is tiny. Definitely install that before putting the radio in!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2019

Running the network cable to the head-unit wasn't too bad. Pull the air bag cover, snake it up to the channel that runs under the front roof panel seal and pull the cable out where you want it:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2020

The head unit was easy. 4 small screws and it was sitting pretty on a uniball mount. The radio is completely hidden from view above the visor, unless you are sitting in the seat.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 579A9442-43F4-4BF0-A623-7AA6949749D5

To make this radio install really unobtrusive, I added a quick disconnect (RJ12) connector for the microphone. I also used a 3' extension cord to reach the radio: I started to pull the console and then realized that wasn't necessary:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2131

Here is the microphone set up for use. I didn't add a microphone clip as that would defeat the hidden radio setup:

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2133

I then programmed the radio. Since I already have my ham license, I tested it out and checked the text and email features as well. It also can send tracking data via APRS to allow my wife or whoever is scheduled to watch over me to view my progress. Works like a charm!

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2477

There are lots of radio options, but this remote, full-featured Yeasu is my go-to for trail communications.

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2134

Last edited:

68 galaxie

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 galaxie /2017 f450 /2021 f150 / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Maybe some of the aftermarket companies get the idea to copy your custom work. Your bumpers and rock rails look awesome

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Motorhead Mountain Recreation and Recovery Build πŸ‘·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_2134

I added a Hammerbilt tailgate reinforcement kit along with a 2 gallon fuel container and a ham radio antenna mount. I also installed the Oracle flush-mounted taillights. The backup lights are far brighter than the stock units, and the fuel can lock no longer hits the taillights when opening.

Hey Kelly! You were my Off-Roadeo guide at Moab! The bumpers look fantastic! Echoing others, I’d definitely buy these bumpers…I’ve been waiting for aftermarket ones that checked enough boxes πŸ˜ͺ
Sponsored