Sponsored

Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Traction boards are amazing! They come in so many different colors! Got a bunch of cool mounts! Are a sure sign that you are in over your head.

Mine sit in the garage and come out if I need to park my trailer on snow or sand. Keeps the tires from sinking in when parked and makes it easier to hook the trailer back up.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shows OOS, maybe they’ll get more.

When you tried to use them, how bad were you stuck and what in? Did you dig and get them a bit under the edge of the tire like I see in videos?
I found someone who was stuck. I thought it was a great time to try out the boards. It was sandy/rocky material so difficult to dig. It was a 2WD van. And they spun the tires too much (I wasn't behind the wheel, I would haven't had spun like that).
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/a-month-on-the-road-live-updates.74629/post-1970623
img_1248-jpeg.jpg

When the boards didn't immediately get them out I just grabbed a strap and pulled them out.

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I found someone who was stuck. I thought it was a great time to try out the boards. It was sandy/rocky material so difficult to dig. It was a 2WD van. And they spun the tires too much (I wasn't behind the wheel, I would haven't had spun like that).
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/a-month-on-the-road-live-updates.74629/post-1970623
Ford Bronco Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful? img_1248-jpe

When the boards didn't immediately get them out I just grabbed a strap and pulled them out.
It would appear to be a series of uh, interesting decisions that resulted in that van becoming stuck. Good on you helping them out!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would appear to be a series of uh, interesting decisions that resulted in that van becoming stuck. Good on you helping them out!
The road was pretty packed but as soon as they got off to the side it got softer. I think they got in late and if they had just gone back in the canyon they would have been fine (and had a spectacular view). I just happened to be coming out at the right time. With the right gear.

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a set of the regular size one's that I don't carry unless I end up going somewhere I think I will need them, but I do have a set of short one's that are always in my bronco for "just in case" situations. They are far easier to store in the bronco.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have aluminum ones I use as an enclosure behind my seat. They can support the entire weight of my bronco over a hole (span). I have not use these and may never, but i have uses PSP/marston mat. Thats why i got aluminum ones.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150-KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a set but they usually stay in the garage if I am out wheeling with a group. Logic being is I will just use another vehicle as a winch point if I get stuck and vice versa.

However, If I am out wheeling alone then I will carry them as I figure it is better to have to much recovery gear then not enough.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

simply like to bolt as much crap onto the side of their rig as they can possibly fit, because they like the look of it and they want everyone else to see all their stuff and like it too.
When I first saw them on the sides of rigs I thought, "a lot of people are volunteering for search & rescue". I didn't know what traction boards were yet, I thought they were back boards. 🙃

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only used mine once last spring. There was a massive rut on the trail and no way to go around it due to the amount of water/mud. I used them to create a bridge and walked right over the big rut. Other than that I didn’t really use them at all. If I am going to the dunes or wheeling in the spring they will stay in Bronco.

I got a set of Actiontrax and they fit perfectly against my front seats and I use the molle backs of the seats to strap them in. I got a 2 door by the way. Still plenty room.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs