Sponsored

Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful?

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Maxtrax and they have come in handy a couple times.

In a 4-Door Bronco, they fit just behind the back seat in front of the wheel wells like they were made for it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Like most (all?) of my recovery gear I carry mine as insurance more than anything as I like to get way out and away from people. That was also the catalyst to design the mounting brackets that I carry on my website - it keeps all of that gear tucked so far out of the way to the point where I forget I'm even carrying it anymore.

I used my ARB boards on the river bank to help these guys that lost their transfer case. I wouldn't say it was exclusively the boards that got them out, but a combination of available resources that got them out - traction boards included.
TBB.png
Whoa I would be extremely upset if I lost my transfer case while off-roading. I know stuff happens but that really sucks for those guys.

I have the Maxtrax and they have come in handy a couple times.

In a 4-Door Bronco, they fit just behind the back seat in front of the wheel wells like they were made for it.
Oh that's great to know. I could just get a cheap bag from Amazon or use trash bags to put them in after use and they could go right back in. I have seat-back covers already. I usually know when I'm gonna be doing something that involves folding the seats down, so that works.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I carry the folding variety. I've used them exactly once to get a 2D Rubicon out of some sand and it worked damn near instantly.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Usually if I get stuck, I just pull out the winch. Don't even bother with the boards.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve used the peeled off bark from side of a downed tree when we stuck a Jeep in the sand. Worked perfect so I would think boards would work.

Gray_Ghost

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Super Duty, 2018 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've stacked my boards once to safely get down an obstacle.

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I carry the folding variety. I've used them exactly once to get a 2D Rubicon out of some sand and it worked damn near instantly.
I like these. Very versatile, jack stands, ramps, etc. Have been sturdy so far, and fold up easily for storage.

https://gotreads.com/
I was wondering how GoTreads would work out. I was concerned about how the hinges would hold up over time, and if they would be too light and just shoot out. They work ok compared to the bigger, static ones?

mrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 Lariat; 2016 RAM; 2022 Black Diamond SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have read an insane amount of debate on this topic on forums. I've seen many YouTube videos of people reviewing them and using them to free Tacomas, 4Runners, and Wranglers. At the same time, I see people saying they weren't really stuck or just digging and shoving a couple rocks down there is all they needed to do.

I am a novice and it's difficult to know if these are worth investing in, and to what degree, ex: X-Bull / Bunker / Maxsa vs Maxtrax / Actiontrax / ARB Tred Pro. My understanding is the latter are good for many uses while the prior are good for a couple uses.

Have people here actually gotten stuck with the Bronco and used recovery boards to get out of:
  • Snow
  • Mud
  • Sand
Could you post any pics/videos?

I apologize if this question seems mildly repetitive. It feels like this topic ends up a bit circular so I'm hoping to avoid that with some evidence.

Sponsored

mrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 Lariat; 2016 RAM; 2022 Black Diamond SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For what it's worth: First, although it may seem obvious, take the time to fully understand the nuances of the GOAT system. It is your friend if you use it correctly. Second, a good set of AT tires make a difference (opinions on specific tires abound). Third, at least carry the basics- kinetic tow rope, shovel, first aid and a few tools. Fourth, a winch is a good investment and can get you out of a lot of trouble. However, it is not a cure all. I have been by myself on a downhill snowy slope with no room to turn around. A winch is good for pulling you forward- backward is much trickier. Finally, traction boards are relatively cheap and multi-purpose. You can use them as a shovel. They can help you go backwards uphill. They are a good jack stand and a mud/snow bridge. I don't carry them every day, but they do come along on hunting trips and some of the tougher passes (I live at 7600' in Colorado). Finally, if you can, travel with another 4WD buddy in the backcountry. It makes pulling, pushing and digging easier.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never used them? Nor do I own any. I have always cut tree, rocks and a shovel
Etc.

I do know that riding down Cape Cod area on the beach, they require you have boards with you.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They aren’t needed at the mall.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For what it's worth: First, although it may seem obvious, take the time to fully understand the nuances of the GOAT system. It is your friend if you use it correctly. Second, a good set of AT tires make a difference (opinions on specific tires abound). Third, at least carry the basics- kinetic tow rope, shovel, first aid and a few tools. Fourth, a winch is a good investment and can get you out of a lot of trouble. However, it is not a cure all. I have been by myself on a downhill snowy slope with no room to turn around. A winch is good for pulling you forward- backward is much trickier. Finally, traction boards are relatively cheap and multi-purpose. You can use them as a shovel. They can help you go backwards uphill. They are a good jack stand and a mud/snow bridge. I don't carry them every day, but they do come along on hunting trips and some of the tougher passes (I live at 7600' in Colorado). Finally, if you can, travel with another 4WD buddy in the backcountry. It makes pulling, pushing and digging easier.
TRUTH.
Was camped in Silverton for a month and rode many mountain trails in the area and once I needed my boards due to snow. Beautiful place you live in. Hope to return in 2024

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

SesquatenarianSasquatch's Law: The more recovery gear you carry, the less likely you will ever need it.
This is true on multiple levels.

Trash talk level: the guys who carry everything all the time never go off-road.

Real talk level: you'll only get stuck when you leave your recovery gear at home.

Personally I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but I only mount my boards when wheeling alone. I always keep a strap on me since I've pulled multiple stalled trucks (both Fords, btw) out of traffic.
Sponsored