Sponsored

Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful?

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have read an insane amount of debate on this topic on forums. I've seen many YouTube videos of people reviewing them and using them to free Tacomas, 4Runners, and Wranglers. At the same time, I see people saying they weren't really stuck or just digging and shoving a couple rocks down there is all they needed to do.

I am a novice and it's difficult to know if these are worth investing in, and to what degree, ex: X-Bull / Bunker / Maxsa vs Maxtrax / Actiontrax / ARB Tred Pro. My understanding is the latter are good for many uses while the prior are good for a couple uses.

Have people here actually gotten stuck with the Bronco and used recovery boards to get out of:
  • Snow
  • Mud
  • Sand
Could you post any pics/videos?

I apologize if this question seems mildly repetitive. It feels like this topic ends up a bit circular so I'm hoping to avoid that with some evidence.
Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have used recovery boards when I was with a volunteer off road recovery group. Actually 3x in one day, one from sand, another for 2 rigs stuck mid way down a hill that I did not want to venture down, nor did I have a winch line long enough.

For simple pulls, I will always just do that, I rarely carry recovery boards with me any longer. They would be handy with doubling up and possibly crossing something questionable, or in snow/terrain that is hard to reach with another vehicle.

Also, if using recovery boards in snow or sand, make sure to use a leash, ask me how I know LOL.

EDIT - forgot to mention, very useful if you happen to wheel alone. Not going to preach about this as Im an offender as well at times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have used recovery boards when I was with a volunteer off road recovery group. Actually 3x in one day, one from sand, another for 2 rigs stuck mid way down a hill that I did not want to venture down, nor did I have a winch line long enough.

For simple pulls, I will always just do that, I rarely carry recovery boards with me any longer. They would be handy with doubling up and possibly crossing something questionable, or in snow/terrain that is hard to reach with another vehicle.

Also, if using recovery boards in snow or sand, make sure to use a leash, ask me how I know LOL.
Thanks. 3x in one day, which ones did you run and how did they hold up?

It sounds like they could still be useful rolling without a winch, but that a winch is preferred.

I did notice that a lot of them come with leashes, apparently that's for a reason lol.

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the maxtrax, on my 2nd set and don't see myself replacing these once used up.

And BTW, yeah mine came with leashes, I was lazy and spent more time digging around for them than it would have to just loop the leash onto the boards lol.

Pic below isn't the bronco, nor my current jeep, previous one.

IMG_5510.jpg

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Matt from Matt's Off-Road Recovery says that if you can get yourself out with a recovery board you weren't really stuck LOL. Not sure if that's an absolute truth, but I've been in a spot or two where they might have been handy. Not often enough to lug those damned things around everywhere though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Matt from Matt's Off-Road Recovery says that if you can get yourself out with a recovery board you weren't really stuck LOL. Not sure if that's an absolute truth, but I've been in a spot or two where they might have been handy. Not often enough to lug those damned things around everywhere though.
That is exactly what I'm talking about re:the not really stuck just shovel and a couple rocks in my OP lol.

Do all the people using them to get unstuck on YouTube not know how to use a shovel? Does Matt just always have a second vehicle with a winch, and therefore is spoiled for choice?

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve personally used some boards from Princess Auto (Harbour Freight?), and they exploded on the first recovery from a snow filled ditch.

Swapped them out for some DV8 Boards which have seen three snow recoveries - two of my own accord and one of a random driver who needed help. They are now cracked in a few places, but still good to go! Oh, and one sketchy mud/clay recovery.

As an added bonus, The boards also double as levelling platforms for my camper!

I’ll continue to keep a set on hand for adventures as I seem to keep finding a way to bury the bronco to the frame in snow. The forest roads are ALWAYS deeper than you think. A very cheap insurance policy to have on hand when you are out of cell service

Last edited:

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is exactly what I'm talking about re:the not really stuck just shovel and a couple rocks in my OP lol.

Do all the people using them to get unstuck on YouTube not know how to use a shovel? Does Matt just always have a second vehicle with a winch, and therefore is spoiled for choice?
Like I said I wouldn't agree that it's an absolute truth. He's an expert and usually does have multiple vehicles and other tools at hand. But in my experience the juice just isn't worth the squeeze of having to carry them around all the time on the miniscule chance I might need one some day. I can see they would be most handy in deep mud, which is something I tend to stay away from entirely, if I can. Sand? If you've already buried it to the frame rails so that letting more air out of the tires won't get you the flotation you need, you've got bigger fish to fry.

I know this will rub some feathers but I believe *some* people, not naming names, simply like to bolt as much crap onto the side of their rig as they can possibly fit, because they like the look of it and they want everyone else to see all their stuff and like it too. They're collectors, and that's how they display their collection. Flame suit on :)

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2dr Bronco Badlands+Sasquatc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They're damned useful on the beach and in snow. A shovel doesn't always help, especially if you've gotten through sand on the beach and down into marsh mud. You don't always have something to winch to.

I've worn out a set of cheap X bull ones (turns out those crack easy) and decided to get maxtrax. But with that said, it's really dependent on where you are as to how useful they are. I haven't used them since I moved to Utah (which was pretty damn recent), but they were more useful than a winch on the Texas coast.

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They're damned useful on the beach and in snow. A shovel doesn't always help, especially if you've gotten through sand on the beach and down into marsh mud. You don't always have something to winch to.

I've worn out a set of cheap X bull ones (turns out those crack easy) and decided to get maxtrax. But with that said, it's really dependent on where you are as to how useful they are. I haven't used them since I moved to Utah (which was pretty damn recent), but they were more useful than a winch on the Texas coast.
The difference you're describing between X-Bull and Maxtrax are what I've read. Inexpensive recovery boards use more firm, brittle plastic while expensive ones use a more flexible, durable material.

I am seeing a lot of pro snow, which alone would make them worth it to me.

I will have opportunities to drive in sand but it is extremely rare that I would be the only vehicle there.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's only one time I mighta coulda used them, and that was up on the Talimena in my pickup (2wd) and I pulled off the road, only to sink into the soft ground. Maybe if I could've put a board down so it had some dry purchase to grip it's way out? I highly suspect it wouldn't have gone my way, and anyhow a nice gentleman from Louisiana stopped and pulled me out with a rope between his and my axle. And now I have a tow rope in both my vehicles. :)

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There's only one time I mighta coulda used them, and that was up on the Talimena in my pickup (2wd) and I pulled off the road, only to sink into the soft ground. Maybe if I could've put a board down so it had some dry purchase to grip it's way out? I highly suspect it wouldn't have gone my way, and anyhow a nice gentleman from Louisiana stopped and pulled me out with a rope between his and my axle. And now I have a tow rope in both my vehicles. :)
I think that soft shackles and a kinetic rope and/or tow strap are essential for sure. They're always in my tote in the back. Compressor, inflate/deflate stuff, some tools, etc.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any tool is helpful if you know how to use it.

I have "shorty" or 2 foot recovery boards that strike a nice balance for me.

Nobody misses their recovery boards until they get stuck. Then they wish they had every tool in the tool box to get out.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Haelous