Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a crying shame that it’s going to take a class action lawsuit against @Ford for them to finally step up and fix the problem and make all the claim denials right. I’m glad I sold my Ford stock because the future of FOMOCO under the current idiotic leadership is not too bright.
Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like most of the failures are also related to the battery going dead (As well as having the 4A transfer case), A number of the folks flat towing Bronco's over on irv2.com report that adding a charge line from the tow rig to the bronco battery has been very helpful in avoiding that..

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like most of the failures are also related to the battery going dead (As well as having the 4A transfer case), A number of the folks flat towing Bronco's over on irv2.com report that adding a charge line from the tow rig to the bronco battery has been very helpful in avoiding that..
Point me to a recent Bronco trans failure thread over there if you can. I’m a member just haven’t been active for a bit.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it is related to the transfer case rein

Seems wiring in a switch would be simple enough. One more thing to have to do when setting up to tow but sure would be less worry.
So I guess you were kidding about the unplugging the transfer case servo. I thought that sounded like a good idea before you brought up the computer freaking out, probably correct on that.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I guess you were kidding about the unplugging the transfer case servo. I thought that sounded like a good idea before you brought up the computer freaking out, probably correct on that.
Well I was and wasn't. I'm sure if you unplugged the TC shift motor after it was in neutral it would stay there (at least on the part time TC). However there are many wires going to the motor, which one to switch? And all of this runs through the AWD module which I'm sure has even more wires integrated with the PCM. Killing power or unplugging would cause something to freak out when plugged back in.

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well I was and wasn't. I'm sure if you unplugged the TC shift motor after it was in neutral it would stay there (at least on the part time TC). However there are many wires going to the motor, which one to switch? And all of this runs through the AWD module which I'm sure has even more wires integrated with the PCM. Killing power or unplugging would cause something to freak out when plugged back in.
Yea no doubt, been researching this all night. I didn't realize there were so many wires going to motor so a switch would be out of the question. I'm starting to think its the low battery condition from a long tow thats causing the motor to engage the clutch. I just ordered a Bluetooth battery monitor so I can make sure battery voltage stays high enough from drivers seat of motorhome. I have a charge wire from coach battery to bronco battery. May not be it at all but it was inexpensive so worth a shot. Sucks we even have to stress about this. Wish us all luck right!

CoolContractor

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After following the "flat tow" instructions to the letter and getting the "flat tow enabled" sign from our 2022 badlands, the transmission was destroyed to the tune of $10,000.00 as quoted by the ford tech. They have blamed me for the failure even though I followed fords instructions to the letter. I always received a "flat tow enabled" prompt on the dash board before the bronco was towed one foot. I had a fellow rv-er tell me a similar account just days before. [ i dismissed their claims because i had no issues until the failure]. If you know of any Bronco owner who had had a similar experience please contact me asap so i may formulate a course of action. maybe class-action.
I originally purchased our Bronco to flat tow behind our motorhome. We used to tow a Jeep which never gave us an issue. I am a Ford guy so, I waited for all of the bugs to be worked out on the Broncos to purchase a 2024 Badlands for the sole purpose of flat towing. After purchasing the Bronco, I started to see more and more posts about ruined transmissions. I called my Ford salesman and he said he hadn't heard anything about it and to call their Ford tech line. Their tech guy said that there were no bulletins or any info on transmission failures related to flat towing a Bronco. After reading even more about all of the transmission failures after flat towing, I decided to buy a car trailer. Even if the transmission failed and it was under warranty, we would still be without the use of the Bronco on our vacation, which would suck. Of course, due to the weight of the Bronco and a car trailer, we needed to buy an aluminum car trailer. This was a very expensive lesson to learn after buying the Bronco. Good luck out there to anyone playing the Bronco flat tow roulette.

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How many failures have you counted. I was originally really freaked out about this but the more I look into it on the 3 forums I follow I can only identify 10 failures. At least 2 of those had dead batteries on arrival. No charge line. I am not saying that there is not a potential problem but as one poster noted just before he got out of bronco one time he put it in park no thinking after he performed the neutral tow set up. He realized his mistake and started over. I think the key to this is follow a checklist religiously when putting it in tow mode, video everything, don't exceed 70mph, and install charge line to battery. I also have a bluetooth charge monitor so I can see battery voltage while in the motorhome. The process to set up neutral tow while not complex but easy to make an error if your not careful. I may regret it down the road but I have decided to try it. Trailer not an option for me. I looked into driveshaft disconnects but not enough room for one on front axle so that wouldn't work.

CoolContractor

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many failures have you counted. I was originally really freaked out about this but the more I look into it on the 3 forums I follow I can only identify 10 failures. At least 2 of those had dead batteries on arrival. No charge line. I am not saying that there is not a potential problem but as one poster noted just before he got out of bronco one time he put it in park no thinking after he performed the neutral tow set up. He realized his mistake and started over. I think the key to this is follow a checklist religiously when putting it in tow mode, video everything, don't exceed 70mph, and install charge line to battery. I also have a bluetooth charge monitor so I can see battery voltage while in the motorhome. The process to set up neutral tow while not complex but easy to make an error if your not careful. I may regret it down the road but I have decided to try it. Trailer not an option for me. I looked into driveshaft disconnects but not enough room for one on front axle so that wouldn't work.
I have read over 10 complaints about ruined transmissions. Some from people who have flat towed dozens of times prior with no problems. Most have had charge lines. All have had auto trans with 4A. Most have had to pay for the repair out of pocket. I was not going sit on pins and needles while driving cross country flat towing the Bronco, hoping that it was drivable when we get there. Hey, at least I can back up now without disconnecting the Bronco.

Sponsored

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

True, wish my motorhome could handle a trailer and the bronco but just too heavy. And the hassle at every campground.... We travel around 300 miles a day, stay for a few days, go another 300 or so. Flat towing is so simple. Don't know what I'd do with trailer at most of the campgrounds we've been to. If I had known about this 4 months ago I would have never purchased Bronco. I was thinking about a tow dolly and rear driveshaft disconnect after someone mentioned it here. Tow dolly easy to store at campground and would solve weight problem. I just never thought they looked very safe. I'll have to think about it awhile... I had an elevated customer service call about the issue today, what a complete waste of time. I was hoping to get an idea of how many of these incidents have happened. Nope, "we don't have that kind of information "

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree we originally bought a 2019 Ranger to flat tow in the future then my wife fell in love with the new Bronco, we now own a 2022 Bronco Outer Banks Sasquatch 2 door.
I plan to flat tow behind our American Coach and have read all the info on this forum, which has me worried but I refuse to get a trailer and have to deal with that at every campground.
Brian

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have read over 10 complaints about ruined transmissions. Some from people who have flat towed dozens of times prior with no problems. Most have had charge lines. All have had auto trans with 4A. Most have had to pay for the repair out of pocket. I was not going sit on pins and needles while driving cross country flat towing the Bronco, hoping that it was drivable when we get there. Hey, at least I can back up now without disconnecting the Bronco.
I admit that while following the topic I wasn't following that closely because I had bailed on flat towing the Bronco and picked up a dedicated toad. The point about all the failures that you have seen on the forums so far being tied to the 4A transfer case is enlightening. I love my Squatched OBX, but maybe in a few years I'll pick up a clean used Bronco base or less optioned version as a replacement toad. My only issue with my cheap dedicated toad is that it is a manual and the wife can't drive it.

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just found this. Read carefully and you will note it calls for towed vehicle to be in park! This is the code they are using to deny warranty! What is it Ford? Owners manual says leave in neutral. This says park so parking pall is engaged.
Ford Bronco Flat Tow failure 1000002441

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After following the "flat tow" instructions to the letter and getting the "flat tow enabled" sign from our 2022 badlands, the transmission was destroyed to the tune of $10,000.00 as quoted by the ford tech. They have blamed me for the failure even though I followed fords instructions to the letter. I always received a "flat tow enabled" prompt on the dash board before the bronco was towed one foot. I had a fellow rv-er tell me a similar account just days before. [ i dismissed their claims because i had no issues until the failure]. If you know of any Bronco owner who had had a similar experience please contact me asap so i may formulate a course of action. maybe class-action.
Did you have Ford pass on your phone when this happened?
Sponsored