First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After flat, towing my bronco multiple days, the last go around after detaching from the RV, it would not disengage flat tow mode. I got a check, engine, light and service engine soon on the dashboard. I am awaiting, taking it to the shop when they get an opening. It also appears to be in limp mode, has anybody else experienced this problem and if so, what was the solution? the bronco will not engage the transmission at all.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After flat, towing my bronco multiple days, the last go around after detaching from the RV, it would not disengage flat tow mode. I got a check, engine, light and service engine soon on the dashboard. I am awaiting, taking it to the shop when they get an opening. It also appears to be in limp mode, has anybody else experienced this problem and if so, what was the solution? the bronco will not engage the transmission at all.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
G6Bronco

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have an email address that I can send vin directly ?

Travler

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 bronco 2021 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have flat towed my 2021 several thousand miles the problems are inconsistent , have you had the ssm # 51415 up date done to the abs yet , check the battery voltage , those are where i would start​

delynn.gibson

Outer Banks
First Name
Delynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outerbanks and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My wife’s 2022 Bronco OBX would not come out of neutral tow when arriving at campground. I talked to my local dealership after not being able to get it into a local Ford dealership. After confirming it was still in neutral tow I hooked it back up and towed it back home. The service department took it in the next morning and they advised it was a small electric motor, the size of a windshield wiper motor, on the side of the transfer case that
had went bad. They had it switched out and I was driving it the same afternoon.

Sponsored

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife’s 2022 Bronco OBX would not come out of neutral tow when arriving at campground. I talked to my local dealership after not being able to get it into a local Ford dealership. After confirming it was still in neutral tow I hooked it back up and towed it back home. The service department took it in the next morning and they advised it was a small electric motor, the size of a windshield wiper motor, on the side of the transfer case that
had went bad. They had it switched out and I was driving it the same afternoon.
Thanks for sharing.
Brian

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company
i got the “System off to save battery“ message today on my 2023 OBX with Advanced 4WD. (It had been parked for about 5 days)
I noticed that the transfer case mode had switched itself from 4A (which I always leave it in during snowy weather) into 2H.

While this isn’t a big deal as a daily driver, it would be catastrophic if I were flat towing - for the transfer case to shift itself back to 2H in the event of low voltage, etc.!!! That would certainly explain some “mysterious“ contested transfer case and/or transmission failures when flat towing (recreational towing).

delynn.gibson

Outer Banks
First Name
Delynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outerbanks and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company
i got the “System off to save battery“ message today on my 2023 OBX with Advanced 4WD. (It had been parked for about 5 days)
I noticed that the transfer case mode had switched itself from 4A (which I always leave it in during snowy weather) into 2H.

While this isn’t a big deal as a daily driver, it would be catastrophic if I were flat towing - for the transfer case to shift itself back to 2H in the event of low voltage, etc.!!! That would certainly explain some “mysterious“ contested transfer case and/or transmission failures when flat towing (recreational towing).
According to the checklist to flat tow the Bronco you have to place the Bronco in 2H before you select neutral tow. I haven’t checked it out but I don’t think it will meet the parameter to select neutral tow until you put it in 2H. If it is in 4A it shouldn’t let you go into neutral tow.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Shure, but @SuperDave150 was just using his experience to point out that the Bronco will shift to 2H by itself with a low battery. In his case from 4H, but maybe from neutral too.

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HOPE SOMEONE FINDS THIS HELPFUL - I WILL POST ON ALL THREADS BELOW - WORK IN PROGRESS

Flat Tow Transmission Failures – as of 02/22/23 – A work in progress – May have missed someone

Thread 1 – (06/03/22) Bronco won’t go back to drive after disengaging tow [2] – Checked 01/18/23

Thread 2 – (10/28/22) Neutral Tow / Transmission Problem [12] – Need to go back through – Long tread

Thread 3 – (07/09/23) Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty [14] – Need to go back through – Long tread

Thread 4 – (08/08/23) Flat tow won’t disengage [1] – Checked 01/18/23

Thread 5 – (08/16/23) Flat tow failure [3] – Checked 01/18/23

Thread 6 - (11/18/23) Flat tow failure (2) [1] – Checked 01/18/2

Thread 7 – (08/28/23) Bronco Raptor Transmission Troubles Anyone? [3] – Checked 01/18/23

----------------------------------------------------------

1) @Rgarrison58 – Thread 1 – 6/3/22 – Transmission Failure – Ford WILL cover

2) @Bad Sas – Thread 2 – 10/28/22 – Transmission issue – No resolution posted

3) @Blue Bulldog – Thread 2 – 4/12/23 – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover - Suing

4) @GddyupGG – Thread 1/2 – 4/19/23 – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover – Insurance WILL cover

5) @G6Bronco – Thread 4/5/3 – (08/16/23) – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover – Hired attorneys

6) @Bukin67 – Thread 7 – (08/28/23 – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover

7) @aknavy – Thread 2 – (08/21/23) – Transmission failed – Ford DID cover

8) @Lisa Aiudi – Thread 3 – (09/09/23 – Transmission failure – Ford will NOT cover

9) @delynn.gibson – Thread 4 – (09/21/23) – Stuck in tow mode – Trase electric motor failed – Ford will cover

10) @Peter Cole – Thread 6 – (11/18/23) – Transmission, Tcase, Oil cooler failed, Ford will NOT cover

Sponsored

2568tmh!

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you have an email address that I can send vin directly ?

Any results with the Ford Rep? I think we are going to look into seeking a warranty attorney. Ford has to come clean on this sooner or later. I guess they feel that the "Flat Tow" Community is a small enough segment that they are not going to accept responsibility for what appears to be defect. As stated in an earlier response, my 2022 Wildtrac experienced the same issue after only 300 miles of towing.

I loved my Bronco until this fiasco left me high and dry miles away from home! I have seen cost range from $7k-$10k for repair. Won't be Flat Towing the Bronco after fix. Most likely going to sell it and get a Jeep. Ford, if your following, you are about to lose a devoted Ford buyer. My F150 and what was to be my next purchase of a F250 King Ranch.