Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And as much as the Mach-E has and continues to piss off people for its name sell out, it outsells the gas Mustang and will probably continue to. I say if it helps subsidize the gas version for a few more years, I'm ok with it.
Aka the Cayenne effect with the 911.
Sponsored

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And as much as the Mach-E has and continues to piss off people for its name sell out, it outsells the gas Mustang and will probably continue to. I say if it helps subsidize the gas version for a few more years, I'm ok with it.
Aka the Cayenne effect with the 911.
Exactly. Haters gonna hate. If you dont like it, dont buy one. Being a previous Mustang GT owner, I was pretty impressed and thought it did the nameplate justice. Better than previous "real" Mustangs. If it keeps the spirit of the Mustang and nameplate alive, I'm ok with it.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it's an offroad vehicle- I take it up in the mountains and I run out of juice. How do I get down? Coast the entire way?
STUPID....

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly. Haters gonna hate. If you dont like it, dont buy one. Being a previous Mustang GT owner, I was pretty impressed and thought it did the nameplate justice. Better than previous "real" Mustangs. If it keeps the spirit of the Mustang and nameplate alive, I'm ok with it.
That's because most of the haters have never even tried an EV, much less an off-road capable EV SUV/truck. Few who've tried a Rivian (I got a test drive) haven't come away very impressed.

I personally have high hopes for the Scout EV. By the time it's released, battery tech and range should be vastly improved.

Sponsored

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly. I was skeptical of EVs until I drove a couple. We have a plug in hybrid and love it. Will I miss the rumble of a V8? Absolutely. That's the one thing that will never be better.

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would be great if the auto industry did the actual logical thing for 90% of consumers and moved everything to hybrid instead of full EV.
Agreed. The hybrid or plug in hybrid is a great compromise and start off point for most people. Eliminates the main complaint/worry of infrastructure that most people have.

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly. I was skeptical of EVs until I drove a couple. We have a plug in hybrid and love it. Will I miss the rumble of a V8? Absolutely. That's the one thing that will never be better.
I personally have high hopes for the Scout EV. By the time it's released, battery tech and range should be vastly improved. Glad to see there's a forum site for it already!

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I personally have high hopes for the Scout EV. By the time it's released, battery tech and range should be vastly improved. Glad to see there's a forum site for it already!
Not going to improve enough to where you can pull a trailer two hours down the road or get back the 40% of range you lose in -32° or +95° degree temperatures.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I personally have high hopes for the Scout EV. By the time it's released, battery tech and range should be vastly improved.
Battery tech isn't computer chips. It has not materially advanced in 20 years or so. In fact, the trend is towards less capable batteries for cost savings. For example, the lower trim Mach E and Lightning are switching to LiFePO chemistry for cost savings, even though it is heavier, so you get less range per pound.

Battery architecture on the other hand is getting better. The new Hyundai and Kia vehicles use an 800 volt architecture, which allows them to charge ~2x as fast as a 400V system like Ford uses. Scout would be crazy not to adopt an 800V architecture.

Sponsored

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not going to improve enough to where you can pull a trailer two hours down the road or get back the 40% of range you lose in -32° or +95° degree temperatures.
Perhaps not, but nobody said the Scout EV (nor any EV SUV) has to be able to do that in order to be an interesting option for anyone who'll own more than just one vehicle.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Battery tech isn't computer chips. It has not materially advanced in 20 years or so. In fact, the trend is towards less capable batteries for cost savings. For example, the lower trim Mach E and Lightning are switching to LiFePO chemistry for cost savings, even though it is heavier, so you get less range per pound.

Battery architecture on the other hand is getting better. The new Hyundai and Kia vehicles use an 800 volt architecture, which allows them to charge ~2x as fast as a 400V system like Ford uses. Scout would be crazy not to adopt an 800V architecture.
The new Audi, and Porsche BEV’s use 800V architecture so let’s hope the Scout will as well.

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would be great if the auto industry did the actual logical thing for 90% of consumers and moved everything to hybrid instead of full EV.
At this point, it looks like most of the industry is accelerating straight to releasing EV's and either slowing or jumping right over hybrids.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
At this point, it looks like most of the industry is accelerating straight to releasing EV's and either slowing or jumping right over hybrids.
Right and it makes no sense (other than I'm sure there is some kind of advantage from a profit perspective with full evs). We have no practical infrastructure for full EV, nobody has time to charge them, the range limits you to staying mostly around town, can't tow, weather affects performance, and cost is prohibitive for most. At this point, hybrid tech retails at about $1500 to $2000 extra for an ICE vehicle and substantially increases mileage and/or power with none of the disadvantages of full electric other than increased vehicle weight. From every angle hybrid vehicles SHOULD be where we are.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Right and it makes no sense (other than I'm sure there is some kind of advantage from a profit perspective with full evs). We have no practical infrastructure for full EV, nobody has time to charge them, the range limits you to staying mostly around town, can't tow, weather affects performance, and cost is prohibitive for most. At this point, hybrid tech retails at about $1500 to $2000 extra for an ICE vehicle and substantially increases mileage and/or power with none of the disadvantages of full electric other than increased vehicle weight. From every angle hybrid vehicles SHOULD be where we are.
Here is the issue-Hybrids aren't that big of a leap in MPGs. The thing people forget about that once you hit the 20-30 MPG mark, the gains in gas saving isn't that great. They work good to the way the CAFE is caculated (using the 1979 rules I think, not the ones that have been updated since then)

I'll use this as an example-I had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that I bought to hold me over till I got my Bronco (top then ADM issues). When I was going back and forth to work (I work two days a week in the office-26 miles round trip a day)...I was getting about 29 MPG going by the display. I was filling up about once a month between going to work and personal local travel.

When I got my Bronco in May, I get about 17-19 MPG doing the same type of driving and fill it up two times a month or so...so an extra tank of gas.

In practicallity, how much is someone going to be towing something? If its something you do every day-yeah a BEV isn't going to work. But at the same time towing has almost the same impact to an ICE MPGs/Range as it does to a BEV.

If you want some numbers:

In the 2022 EPA Fuel Economy Guide, the following extremes were listed. 2022 Fuel Economy Guide
  • Most efficient BEV. Tesla Model 3 RWD, 132 MPGe combined
  • Least efficient BEV. Audi e-tron S with 21" or 22" wheels, 63 MPGe combined
  • Most efficient conventional hybrid. Toyota Prius Eco, 56 MPG
  • Least efficient conventional hybrid. Audi RS Q8 and Mercedes-Benz GLS 63 4MATIC+, 15 MPG
  • Most efficient plug-in hybrid. Toyota Prius Prime, 133 MPGe electricity + gasoline; 54 MPG gasoline
  • Least efficient plug-in hybrid. Porsche Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid, 42 MPGe electricity + gasoline; 18 MPG gasoline
  • Most efficient gasoline vehicle, no hybrid. Mitsubishi Mirage, 39 MPG
  • Least efficient gasoline vehicle, no hybrid. Bugatti Chiron Pure Sport and Super Sport, 9 MPG
Sponsored