First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BEV’s currently make up only a little over 1% of the cars on the road in the U.S. and most estimates are that number will be somewhere around 50% by 2050, 29 years from now. I shouldn’t have any problem being able to find ICE vehicles for as long as I’m alive.
Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here is the issue-Hybrids aren't that big of a leap in MPGs. The thing people forget about that once you hit the 20-30 MPG mark, the gains in gas saving isn't that great. They work good to the way the CAFE is caculated (using the 1979 rules I think, not the ones that have been updated since then)

I'll use this as an example-I had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that I bought to hold me over till I got my Bronco (top then ADM issues). When I was going back and forth to work (I work two days a week in the office-26 miles round trip a day)...I was getting about 29 MPG going by the display. I was filling up about once a month between going to work and personal local travel.

When I got my Bronco in May, I get about 17-19 MPG doing the same type of driving and fill it up two times a month or so...so an extra tank of gas.

In practicallity, how much is someone going to be towing something? If its something you do every day-yeah a BEV isn't going to work. But at the same time towing has almost the same impact to an ICE MPGs/Range as it does to a BEV.

If you want some numbers:

In the 2022 EPA Fuel Economy Guide, the following extremes were listed. 2022 Fuel Economy Guide
  • Most efficient BEV. Tesla Model 3 RWD, 132 MPGe combined
  • Least efficient BEV. Audi e-tron S with 21" or 22" wheels, 63 MPGe combined
  • Most efficient conventional hybrid. Toyota Prius Eco, 56 MPG
  • Least efficient conventional hybrid. Audi RS Q8 and Mercedes-Benz GLS 63 4MATIC+, 15 MPG
  • Most efficient plug-in hybrid. Toyota Prius Prime, 133 MPGe electricity + gasoline; 54 MPG gasoline
  • Least efficient plug-in hybrid. Porsche Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid, 42 MPGe electricity + gasoline; 18 MPG gasoline
  • Most efficient gasoline vehicle, no hybrid. Mitsubishi Mirage, 39 MPG
  • Least efficient gasoline vehicle, no hybrid. Bugatti Chiron Pure Sport and Super Sport, 9 MPG
Sure there's no doubt evs are more efficient but the issue is there is no infrastructure to support reliably going where you might need to go and not having to possibly allot huge amounts of time to finding/waiting to charge. The cart is being put before the horse. The current infrastructure supports hybrids and we'd immediately gain 30-40% efficiency increases in many cases with no penalty other than a slight vehicle price upcharge. To me full EV is still at least 10 years away before it makes sense for the majority of people.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To me full EV is still at least 10 years away before it makes sense for the majority of people.
I think we are maybe 5 years out...

locally a new Target opened up and they have level two chargers in the parking lot that are free to use

There is a Wawa (Gas/convenicane store local to the North East and Florida) that is installing Telsa Superchargers in their complexes. I was in the middle no where Texas in September (inbetween San Antino and Kingsville) and the rest stop had SuperChargers in it. There are more and more Electrifiy America and other companies putting in charging stations, even at a local apartment complex that is normally a go-to for anti EV people to bring up. The area I live in is pretty well built up and the amount of charging options in the area has at least doubled in the past 2 years.

There has to be a demand for for them then they'll start building up the infanstructure, which looks to be underway at this point.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But yet they don't figure in the damage done by oil extraction and the addtional damage done by burning it in an ICE.

This is just like adding catalyic converters, using unleaded gas and enforcing CAFE from the 1970s or the Carb vs EFI debate in the in the 1980s...lots of people bitching about change for the better and having no clue that in the next 5-10 years most of the minor issues will be no issues at all.

It will be like when smartphones first came out-they'll have 80-90% of the market with in 10 years.
Last I looked, oil drillers and coal miners (at least in this country) do not employ child slave labor as is used in Africa for all the precious metals in your cellphone, let alone the battery and controld in a Tesla

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve reported this post as Spam. Don’t really give a sh*T about ev scout - and that is why I signed up for a Bronco forum.
Consider yourself a vehicle racist if you cannot tolerate civil discussion regarding anything automotive that others of us have an interest in

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last I looked, oil drillers and coal miners (at least in this country) do not employ child slave labor as is used in Africa for all the precious metals in your cellphone, let alone the battery and controld in a Tesla
So your being self rightous by using a device that most likely used child slave labor to post this message....come on try better..that has NOTHING to do with the coversation-its like aruging which way is better to die...the end result is your still dead.

Reactions: Jdc

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So your being self rightous by using a device that most likely used child slave labor to post this message....come on try better..that has NOTHING to do with the coversation-its like aruging which way is better to die...the end result is your still dead.
The argument that producing and operating and disposing of EVs at their end of life is overall better for the environment than recycling ICE vehicles only holds water at current levels of EV adoption. Once you can no longer buy anything but EV in California (and elsewhere TBD) AND the power grid goes down, as it will, then gridlock on the freeways will have a whole new meaning.

ANd as has been recently illustrated, exposing an EV to the harshest of environs (hurricanes) can lead to their self-destruction in flames

I am all in favor of electric vehicles and at the right price would use one as my daily driver.

But the other side of this is that just because we use gasoline and diesel in ICEVs is not the reason to ban ICE, just come up with alternate fuels. Banning ICE also would ban hydrogen fuel cell ICE

Aggie2000

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nobody is calling for the switch to EVs over night. Every year thousands of new charging stations are added. On top of that, for those of us who own a home the convenience of being able to charge your vehicle for under $10 is well worth along with the additional savings associated with maintenance. And the cherry on top is if these solid state batteries live up to the hype, you are talking about a useful life of 1 million miles.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve reported this post as Spam. Don’t really give a sh*T about ev scout - and that is why I signed up for a Bronco forum.
I think that is why the admin started the scout forum way earlier in this post. They were trying to direct people to that forum if you want to talk about Scout. Surprised this thread is not locked by now

Sponsored

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You know, at the top of the page there’s a little button that says Ignore. Tap that button, and you’ll never have to see this thread again. In fact, you can ignore the entire ”Bronco Versus the Competition” subforum altogether, and you’ll never have to read about any other vehicle besides a Bronco…

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Once you can no longer buy anything but EV in California (and elsewhere TBD) AND the power grid goes down, as it will, then gridlock on the freeways will have a whole new meaning.
How is that any different then not being able to pump gasoline due to the lack of power?

EVs don't need to be charged every day-just like cars don't need to be fueled up every day when you use them.

Its common argument to bitch about the "grid" being the issue-it is not. We don't have a power generation problem, its is a getting that power to where it needs to be and California is basically a worst case scenario used to prove a point. I'll use my home state of NJ-we generate 50% of power via NG, 40% with Nuke and the rest is mix of renewables and other fossil fuels. The local Electrical utility offers incentives for upgrading your houses power(if needed) and to install a charger at home. Also utility companies know that BEVs are coming and will be improving their power generation and distribution over the next 10-15 years to meet the demand for it.

Gas powered cars catch on fire all the time-go up and down a major highway and you can see burn marks where cars pulled over and melted the blacktop from a fire. BEVS get all this attention because they are different and partly due to some pro-oil interest embellishment that doesn't want their golden goose killed or maimed.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The argument that producing and operating and disposing of EVs at their end of life is overall better for the environment than recycling ICE vehicles only holds water at current levels of EV adoption. Once you can no longer buy anything but EV in California (and elsewhere TBD) AND the power grid goes down, as it will, then gridlock on the freeways will have a whole new meaning.

ANd as has been recently illustrated, exposing an EV to the harshest of environs (hurricanes) can lead to their self-destruction in flames

I am all in favor of electric vehicles and at the right price would use one as my daily driver.

But the other side of this is that just because we use gasoline and diesel in ICEVs is not the reason to ban ICE, just come up with alternate fuels. Banning ICE also would ban hydrogen fuel cell ICE
Hydrogen fuel cells won't be banned. 1. You don't burn the hydrogen, 2. The only exhaust from fuel cells, or even burning hydrogen, is water. Also hydrogen sucks for everything except maybe trucking
Sponsored