First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Per the below article EV sales were 6% in 3Q 22, not sure what the overall will be for the year. Diesel sales in '14 were 3% as well but were supposedly up by 25% so who knows.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleant...ed-6-of-auto-sales-in-usa-in-3rd-quarter/amp/

Now the increase in sales could be the agenda, companies are investing so that's what they want a return on and what they're going to stock the showrooms with. With costs/inflation/interest rates going up you may see a drop as EVs price themselves out of reach to the normal consumer.
End of the day, if the politics weren’t involved and diesels weren’t crucified years ago, be more of them and less ev’s, more manufacturers would be selling them. Hell, a crossover with a diesel and manual would be golden, and if our girls came Manual diesel, no brainer

used market, diesels hold relatively strong, and unlike EV’s, can last for ages. Batteries degrade overtime, leak energy and at a minimum, are a 1000lbs, making them a ton heavier than the non electric competition. Also, regardless of the fuel, if you ran out, can always get a jerry can to get some gas/diesel, whereas with an EV, need someone to deliver a generator to charge you that’s probably

In 10yrs, that battery is gonna be spent and cost a fortune to replace, whereas the gas and diesel will still be around, maybe need a rebuild which would be a fraction of the battery price and even if it needs a new engine (gas), its not like it’ll be as costly as a battery, and we haven’t even discussed the weather, and how the extremes decrease the range.

sales #’s and what people may or maynot buy arent my concern, its how dependable is it in the real world and where will it be a decade later, whether you keep it or hand it off to someone who buys it used.

this is fun, shall we continue?
Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
End of the day, if the politics weren’t involved and diesels weren’t crucified years ago, be more of them and less ev’s, more manufacturers would be selling them. Hell, a crossover with a diesel and manual would be golden, and if our girls came Manual diesel, no brainer

used market, diesels hold relatively strong, and unlike EV’s, can last for ages. Batteries degrade overtime, leak energy and at a minimum, are a 1000lbs, making them a ton heavier than the non electric competition. Also, regardless of the fuel, if you ran out, can always get a jerry can to get some gas/diesel, whereas with an EV, need someone to deliver a generator to charge you that’s probably

In 10yrs, that battery is gonna be spent and cost a fortune to replace, whereas the gas and diesel will still be around, maybe need a rebuild which would be a fraction of the battery price and even if it needs a new engine (gas), its not like it’ll be as costly as a battery, and we haven’t even discussed the weather, and how the extremes decrease the range.

sales #’s and what people may or maynot buy arent my concern, its how dependable is it in the real world and where will it be a decade later, whether you keep it or hand it off to someone who buys it used.

I'm not sure where everyone is coming up with this non-existent demand for diesel vehicles. They were popular in Europe, but that was only because taxes made diesel cheaper than regular gas, and they haven't been the most popular choice for several years now. Despite technological advances, they really aren't any cleaner than gasoline. There are trade-offs and differences, and some of the newer "clean" diesel tech ends up being expensive over time (look at replacement cost of a DPF designed to last ~10 years or 100k miles), or you get Adblue, which is it's own maintenance annoyance. In the meantime, batteries easily last over 10 years and continue to improve. We're at the peak of gas tech, and at the beginning of battery tech.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am excited about it. I LOVED my Mach-E GT, but Ford forced me to get rid of it. I also love my Bronco. I would like an EV Bronco, but EV Scout would be cool too. More the better, just another choice. Not everyone has to like it.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure where everyone is coming up with this non-existent demand for diesel vehicles. They were popular in Europe, but that was only because taxes made diesel cheaper than regular gas, and they haven't been the most popular choice for several years now. Despite technological advances, they really aren't any cleaner than gasoline. There are trade-offs and differences, and some of the newer "clean" diesel tech ends up being expensive over time (look at replacement cost of a DPF designed to last ~10 years or 100k miles), or you get Adblue, which is it's own maintenance annoyance. In the meantime, batteries easily last over 10 years and continue to improve. We're at the peak of gas tech, and at the beginning of battery tech.
What about older diesels? They still go strong, and lets not forget some states have no emissions testing, so sure you can gut it there.

For the money of a Scout EV, I could import a Manual RHD LJ70, mod, paint and lightly modernize it and have something more unique and infinitely cooler

its not just the mileage and range, its the torque. I’d also be able to take it off-roading without fear of it spontaneously combusting because the battery was punctured Or ruptured somehow.

EV’s are perfect for cities and some suburbs, but everywhere else it doesn’t make much sense, and of course, roadtrips. Cant stray off the path, there might not be superchargers in that neck of the woods

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My dad had a 1979 Diesel VW Dasher manual and I vividly remember him claiming that he got 43 miles to the gallon one time - it was a slow ass car and he drove it like it was dangerouly low on gas - coasted every chance he got. Coming off the gas shortage and raising 5 kids will do that to you! Not sure why I am even telling this story, I guess because diesel came up. I seem to recall diesel being cheaper than gas back then too - so it was about the cheapest way to own a car.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Our household is a bit unusual as we own a 2015 Tesla with 138k miles on it and a 2018 diesel Range Rover. We love them both. Our Tesla is fast, cheap to own, and a blast to drive. Our Range Rover pulls our boats, snowmobiles, and jet skis with ease with its 7,800 pound towing capacity and has a 600 miles range on the highway. I’m glad our Bronco is not an EV but really wish I had the same Ford Lion 3.0 diesel in it that gives us 29 mpg in our 5,000 pound Rover.

Our reason for buying the Tesla almost 8 years ago was for my wife to be able to get in the car pool lane for the 320 miles she commuted to work 35 weeks out of the year living in NorCal. It saved her 3-4 hours each week of windshield time. We kept it because it cost only $7 in “fuel” for a 200 mile range and the only ICE sports sedans than would give me the same performance and room would be something like an M5, RS7, or AMG Mercedes and they all cost $130K or more and our expensive to maintain. You are correct that the carbon footprint of the battery manufacturing makes an electric EV no more green than an ICE vehicle for at least the first 60,000 miles. In our case the Tesla has the same or worse CO2 footprint as we will be retiring in northern Minnesota for 6 months each year where our electricity comes from a coal fired plant. I love to tell my green friends and relatives that it takes 32 pounds of coal to charge my Tesla. IMO that’s OK as I find the current climate hysteria that grips much of the western world an utter waste of time and money. Switching to wind and solar is not a reasonable solution and eventually the incredibly inefficient governments of the world will realize that nuclear is the solution. It might take them another 50-100 years to figure that out, but they will land their eventually. In the mean time, they can do whatever makes them feel good and I’ll continue on guilt free with my diesel, 2 cycle snowmobiles, and V8 engines in my boats. They think I’m virtuous because I own a Tesla. :LOL:

https://www.realclearenergy.org/art..._how_i_wasted_20_years_of_my_life_839185.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lowcountry Bronco

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I understand your qualms and not arguing with you, I'm not an EV fanboy by any means but whether it's supportable or not doesn't mean it's not coming in whatever percentage. I am however a VW fan, I've owned 2 GTIs and 1 TDi wagen that was bought back. VW was the only one that had any decent US sales outside of trucks and this was done by promoting them as clean which is what they got busted for along with a few others including Dodge IIRC. You only need to research European pollution to see how bad the problem of diesel emissions were and understandably you'll see why they're all in on EVs.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thats sad that the scout is now a VW :( i miss my 1979 International super scout
Is a Bugatti a "VW"? What about Bentley, Lamborghini, or Porsche? Yes, these vehicles are owned by VW, but they are very much Italian, British, Spanish, etc.

The Scout company is based in the US, not Germany. They are hiring Americans in America, to design an American vehicle. The CEO is American. It is just German owned.
https://scoutmotors.rippling-ats.com/

Last edited:

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just tell your marketing to chill out, your consumer is not that ignorant and the planet does deserve better then what is hot today but not a wise long term solution.
Don't worry about what's hot today, it'll be plenty hot tomorrow and into the future.

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Removal top and/or doors will be a big factor towards the new Scout's success IMO.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Removal top and/or doors will be a big factor towards the new Scout's success IMO.
Agree. Without a removable top it eliminates a large chunk of the off-road crowd, including me.

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm interested in seeing the development of this. This website has a forum that was created to obtain feedback from enthusiasts and many appear to be wanting this future Scout true to its roots. I'm concerned with the turnaround time from plan to development but do expect the current lineup of Wrangler and Bronco to be a reference. Hope it will be a true offroader as they claim with classic design but modern technology. As a current 800 owner, I'm rooting for this design but expect it to be closer to the Scout II based on initial press release images/renders.

Screenshot_20220917-140835_Messenger.jpg
As a current Bronco owner, plug in hybrid owner and Scout 800 owner, I'm pretty excited about this. I agree, definitely looks they are channeling more Scout II in the design.

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've said this many times, a TRUE off-road designed EV will completely disrupt the off-road market. No drivetrain to get hung up on, 4-wheel independent motors, it will be a BEAST rock crawling...

NOW is that going to be the Scout, NO. NO WAY is Volkswagen going to deliver that. ZERO chance.

I will, however, absolutely be FIRST in line to trade my 2021 in for an EV Bronco!
I had a conversation with someone pretty high up at VW about the new Scout. Turns out, it will be most likely be sharing a Bronco chassis and engineering. The Mustang Mach-E was co-developed with VW (the ID-4) and share components.

My understanding was it will be a Bronco chassis, Mach-E battery, and new or shared tech to cut down on costs and development time. This leads me to be hopeful that it checks the right boxes.

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean the names and logos. Ford has done a decent job of maintaining the heritage of their legacy vehicles with a few exceptions (Mustang-E , Maverick,) but other manufacturers, not so much...Blazer, GTO... Time will tell if VW actually makes it worthy of it's nameplate, or if it just ends up being a tarted up Passat.
And as much as the Mach-E has and continues to piss off people for its name sell out, it outsells the gas Mustang and will probably continue to. I say if it helps subsidize the gas version for a few more years, I'm ok with it.
Sponsored