First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Mini-Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all, currently going between base builds without Mid package, and Big Bend builds with it. The safety features I really like in it, but it’s not necessarily a dealbreaker - especially because it means the ability to step up to 2.7 V6 on the base.

But, I keep coming back to the 110v outlet too. It would be really handy to power stuff for camping, have the ability to charge and operate anything with a normal plug. What are the options out there for a 110v inverter that you can wire into the car’s 12v system? I knew very little about electronics and don’t know the difficulty on how to install one of these and what is required. Anyone with Jeeps or other overlanding-type rigs have something aftermarket for this?
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The stock one is pretty weak, I think 150 watts. So it can charge phones, laptops...that's about it.

They make cigarette lighter ones you just plug in. If you want more powerful inverters you will have to wire them to the battery directly. The stock switches/relays could be useful for this, depending where the wiring ends up.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wiring to the battery is a relatively simple process for an inverter. I'll be installing something bigger in mine. Probably a 1500watt. They can be had for $200-$300 and a couple hours of install.

You'll likely have to run new wiring as opposed to the wiring for the existing inverter. I can't imagine it is gauged and fused for a bigger inverter.

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tons of options out there...if you're doing a permanent install, a marine-rated inverter would be best for the weatherproofing. Your budget will be the main factor - pricing runs from mild to wild, depending on brand and features - I've looked at ProMariner models for my boonie camper...carried by everyone from Amazon to WalMart.

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
For portability and use in multiple applications, I have had success with the Jackery line. I also like that you can recharge via solar option. In short, you will have a ton different options whether hard wired or portable.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Permanent or portable? I plan on going with portable so I can move it around camp where needed. Google solar powered generator. Actually got a Rockpals Rockpower 300w for Christmas (I've used my cpap machine on it and can go 4 nights using AC, DC will be more efficient,). I will be getting another just to power the fridge and external lights. Charge it by solar or by the Bronco battery while driving. I'll be installing a portable solar panel on the roof/rtt. While camping I don't want to use the Bronco battery risking draining it.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They make cigarette lighter ones you just plug in. If you want more powerful inverters you will have to wire them to the battery directly. The stock switches/relays could be useful for this, depending where the wiring ends up.
I don’t think Bronco has a cigarette lighter.

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm only 31, don't make me feel old.
They're called "12V Power Points" now, but you can plug a lighter into most of them ?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wiring to the battery is a relatively simple process for an inverter. I'll be installing something bigger in mine. Probably a 1500watt. They can be had for $200-$300 and a couple hours of install.

You'll likely have to run new wiring as opposed to the wiring for the existing inverter. I can't imagine it is gauged and fused for a bigger inverter.
A 1500 watt is fairly large, hope you can find room in the cabin somewhere. I will only use my 500 watt Victron unit in the Bronco, for hand tools, soldering gun and such on trail use, around camp I have a 3K watt one in the Motor home, or the genset. The OEM 150 watt (1.25 amps) will only be good for phone chargers, laptops, and work light.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A 1500 watt is fairly large, hope you can find room in the cabin somewhere. I will only use my 500 watt Victron unit in the Bronco, for hand tools, soldering gun and such on trail use, around camp I have a 3K watt one in the Motor home, or the genset. The OEM 150 watt (1.25 amps) will only be good for phone chargers, laptops, and work light.
I won't permanently mount it anywhere. Just in the trunk for charging laptop, camera, infrared, and power tools. It will have a quick connect on it for camping in the trailer.

I do the same with a 400watt right now but need some more power. I can't charge my Makita batteries with the current setup.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I won't permanently mount it anywhere. Just in the trunk for charging laptop, camera, infrared, and power tools. It will have a quick connect on it for camping in the trailer.

I do the same with a 400watt right now but need some more power. I can't charge my Makita batteries with the current setup.
I have three different makita chargers. I'm sure the single slot slow charger is way under 400w. Slow chargers are better for battery life anyway.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have three different makita chargers. I'm sure the single slot slow charger is way under 400w. Slow chargers are better for battery life anyway.
I think it's only 240watt on the slow charger. Just won't do it for some reason. Its an old cheapie inverter anyway.

I still want something that I can charge all my equipment at once with. I kill batteries in the winter and need the power for day-to-day work.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's only 240watt on the slow charger. Just won't do it for some reason. Its an old cheapie inverter anyway.

I still want something that I can charge all my equipment at once with. I kill batteries in the winter and need the power for day-to-day work.
One of the best made inverters are from Victron, a bit expensive but good. If your cheapie inverter is a modified square wave, and your charger uses a full bridge wave rectifier to supply the DC for charging that's why it doesn't want to work. You need a pure sine wave inverter in that case.
This is my small one, works great on all electronics and they make a nice 1200 watt in this line, scan the QR code in the photo for info.
Ford Bronco 110v A/C power inverter options? IMG_3874.JPG
Sponsored