Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's a few pics of a 2.3 at a wrecking yard with parts for sale....not mine, it was at one of the auto wrecking yard in Sacramento..
426715431_6572414106191816_277484746179185431_n.jpg
408884396_7433107713417695_5508485451306869913_n.jpg
424963813_7295492763822265_8890767160854783756_n.jpg
That isn't a 2.3, its a 2.7
Sponsored

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes thousands
Like the thousands of failed engines
Have you even seen how poorly they do in crash tests with trucks?
Not thousands of failed engines... its more like less than 50 of a portion of engines that were assembled with a bad part in the first run of 2.7 engines, Not 2.3's.

And almost all were just failures due to a broken part... not fires.

still a bad problem, but not anything like this

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow that really sucks. I would not want to have to buy another Bronco, to have to wait if you order one and especially with the price increases.

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Yes thousands
Like the thousands of failed engines
Have you even seen how poorly they do in crash tests with trucks?
There have been thousands of engine fires?? Ugh. I guess an extended warranty is in my future.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Today, my bronco’s engine caught on fire while I was driving. Here’s the full story. I was out of state, at the start of a return journey home. The second I turned the car on I was hearing a clicking noise that sounded unusual. It was the first time I heard it. Coming from what sounded like the drivers side. I thought maybe something was stuck in the rim or something so continued. I was on a back round going under 30 miles an hour (speed limit was 30) under five minutes into the drive when all of the sudden I lost all power. Power steering, breaks, every gauge in the car, all screens, completely dark. The breaks were the last thing I noticed were gone as when I pulled off to the side of the road slowly I almost hit a tree when I realized I had no breaks… Then, suddenly all the screens came back on as I was in full stop. Warning started popping up all over. Too many to read through them all (unfortunately none of them have appeared in my ford pass app as I’d really like to read through them all.). At this moment, I noticed smoke coming out of the hood, so I jumped out of the car, popped the hood, and to my horror saw not just smoke but fire. I immediately called 911. By the time the fire company arrived the fire had put itself out. They sprayed down the engine as it was still smoking, and immediately disconnected the battery. It’s been towed off and I am now without a bronco. Funny, two other broncos passed by as it was being towed away. I’ll post an update as I get it into the shop and someone looks at it. Now for the speculation .The fire police were guessing it was electrical? The fire I saw was coming from what appeared to be the driver side near the cylinder closest to the driver seat. There was melted rubber/plastic where a wire connected to the engine in that location. I don’t know what that connection point is. But, am thinking the clicking I was hearing was coming from a piston? No clue.

About the Bronco. Base Bronco, 2021 first year, 2.3L. 20k+ miles. I just paid something like 800 dollars not weeks ago to have the 20k service.
Other notes. Sadly, not the first issue I’ve had as the breaks have gone out when the vacuum pump failed. Super sadly, I was on my way home to hang out with my wife as it was our 16 year anniversary. Because this happened after five pm all the rental companies had already closed and my insurance couldn’t get me into a rental until the next day. So, my wife ended up driving 2 hours to pick me up (in her Bronco) and then we road the two hour ride home together. Not how I had hoped to spend the evening of our anniversary. But, good news is the car didn’t blow up I guess and no one was injured.

Hoping it’s not in for repairs too long, it’s almost too down weather! Also super hoping insurance doesn’t total it. Tow truck driver has me a bit anxious.
The location of the fire you describe is pretty much the same location of the fuel pump, it sits right on top of the engine close to the firewall. Did you smell/see any fuel?

OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The location of the fire you describe is pretty much the same location of the fuel pump, it sits right on top of the engine close to the firewall. Did you smell/see any fuel?
I don’t have the car at the moment. It’s in a tow lot two states away. Sounds like Monday or Tuesday the fire inspection is happening. Will find out what happened then I guess. But, I was thinking fuel pump as well. Time will tell.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My friend Moses had this happen with his 2.3. He heard a voice from the engine bay while it was on fire telling him to take the Bronco6g members to Detroit, Michigan. Unfortunately he drowned while trying to part the Colorado River so here we are.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the 20k service I'm wondering if they did anything with the spark plugs
Changed the spark plugs ?

It sounds like one of your spark plug cables got loose and was just sparking against nearest thing in the engine bay then caused something to ignite

If they total it maybe good for you. Sounds possible lemon anyway
Very likely possibility! I had this happen with my Subaru once. Coil went bad. I started my car and heard a clicking sound. Popped the hood and saw it arcing. Immediately shut it off and proceeded with replacing wires & coils. Certainly could cause a fire.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In the 20k service I'm wondering if they did anything with the spark plugs
Changed the spark plugs ?

It sounds like one of your spark plug cables got loose and was just sparking against nearest thing in the engine bay then caused something to ignite

If they total it maybe good for you. Sounds possible lemon anyway
No cables on the bronco, they’re coil on plug. So any arcing is highly unlikely (although not impossible)

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No cables on the bronco, they’re coil on plug. So any arcing is highly unlikely (although not impossible)
Wrench left on battery contacting both terminals? Was the "clicking" more of a "clanging" like a loose tool, or the same "clicking" noises you hear when Bronco comes out of sleep mode? More importantly, were there blown fuses and a super hot wrench in the engine bay?
*However the battery has the plastic cover over the positive terminal, so highly unlikely unless that was broken.

Last edited:

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only the power assist fails, the brakes themselves are completely mechanical and work without power assist, but you have to press the pedal much harder. Is there a vacuum pump on the 2.3L? I looked at mine and the vacuum for the brake booster is taken from the intake manifold, there isn't a pump.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why can’t I just engine swap and throw an absurd v8 in there or something?

insurance is going to let me swap the tires back to oem if they total it so I can keep the Everglades rims. But they’re going to comp me for the lights and such as they don’t want me to use anything that could have been exposed to the fire. Sounds like they’re going to do whatever they can to make me whole. Still sad day if it’s gone. Loved that car.
Are you talking about after market lights? Do you have any after market electrical devices or anything hooked up to the aux switches? The aux switch wires all land on the drivers side close to the rear if I remember correctly, something to take a look at.