Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's a highly flexible answer.
351 Cleveland, 351 Windsor, or 351 Modified?

??:D

ETA: AND WHY! :devilish:
351s all largely fit that description. with a few exceptions like early 351w(car motors, but in the era when cars had tow hitches and frames) and the clevelands and boss's(still in an era of cars being heavier duty than rangers and some midsized trucks)

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont think so, a skilled clutch foot does the same thing on a stick.
No. It doesn’t. Look up effective crawl ratio and automatic transmission, and look into it. Why do you think everyone runs a much lower crawl ratio on an auto than they would on a stick?

BordFronco

Black Diamond
First Name
KG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I test drove the Ranger and the F-150 today and boy the 2.7L felt great. 2.3L wasn't bad but the bigger engine was a lot more fun. That said, my decision will be solely based on if I want the manual or the auto. You should test out both engines and see what you like

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Sponsored

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would probably get a 2.7 in manual, but since that doesn't exist 2.3 it is. Both sound...meh...with an exhaust, so there's that too.

With a tune on the 2.3 you'd have similar power to the 2.7, so I'm not too worried.

Also the Bronco with the 2.3 has about the same hp/weight as my current car, and more tq, so I'm sure it will be a bit quicker than what I'm driving now.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'll give the same answer as the last time this came up, 2.3 and manual. Why? Because this will probably be the last shot to get a manual in a Bronco, everyone going auto to get the 6 when both offer plenty for the trails and the road. If for whatever reason I can't keep up in traffic or merge on the interstate or make it up a hill then the V6/auto combo will still be there and I'll have a unicorn either to trade or sell to another manual fan.

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Always get the biggest motor, you wont regret it, the fuel issue is insignificant
More power more torque is always better, the 2.7 is a very good motor

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What ever the best engine I can get with the manual transmission. If Ford wants more money from me in 2021, they will have to allow us to get the 2.7 with the manual

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No. It doesn’t. Look up effective crawl ratio and automatic transmission, and look into it. Why do you think everyone runs a much lower crawl ratio on an auto than they would on a stick?
A torque converter is no different in result than a clutch. It spins, creates pressure it turns into friction, and eventually locks or holds at a slippable pressure just below lockup. The advantage of a manual in crawling is that it effortlessly maintains a low speed at a fixed ilde or whatever your left foot desires. Unlike an auto which is often slipping. Giving an inconsistent feeling. A manual will idle over obstacles that a automatic will simply stop and slip at.

Sponsored

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
According to survey pricing 2.7=$3500 + $1600 for auto trans. Thats $5100 for 40hp. I think I could do alot w/$5100 and I can get 40hp w/a pretty mild tune. 2.7 has lost the war of dollars IMO. Im also completely terrified of Ford v6 engines (not just ford but most mfgrs) Maybe 2.7 is the exception that proves the rule...but im still scared away by past experience. I'll stay w/2.3...manual is a bonus!
According to the Survey Pricing the $3500 is for the 2.7 TT EB AND the 10 speed AT. ($1900 for 2.7 and $1600 for AT).
It is still a lot of money but, maybe the all in $3500 changes some of your thoughts about it.
I like the 2.7 for the extra Torque not the HP bump. The 2.7 is very responsive and a good match in the F-150 so I think it will work well in the Bronco.
Tough choices all around with solid engines, crawler gear manual vs 10 speed, the mysterious color pallet.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to the Survey Pricing the $3500 is for the 2.7 TT EB AND the 10 speed AT. ($1900 for 2.7 and $1600 for AT).
It is still a lot of money but, maybe the all in $3500 changes some of your thoughts about it.
I like the 2.7 for the extra Torque not the HP bump. The 2.7 is very responsive and a good match in the F-150 so I think it will work well in the Bronco.
Tough choices all around with solid engines, crawler gear manual vs 10 speed, the mysterious color pallet.
I'm a bad example...if Ford PAID ME $3500 to take the V6 I'd still have to think about it. Don't trust V6....can't do it!

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also the Bronco with the 2.3 has about the same hp/weight as my current car, and more tq, so I'm sure it will be a bit quicker than what I'm driving now.
I doubt it. Your GTI is at least 1250lbs lighter than the Bronco. Ranger 0-60 time is 7 seconds depending on the driver.

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m like 90% decided on 2.3 manual because I’ve always liked manual cars slow and fast. They are just more fun and the Bronco is supposed to be a fun 4x4. For those posting here who simply don’t drive manual, it’s a no brainer....2.7 all day. For those who just want use their right foot, 2.7 auto. No brainer.

I also modify my forced induction cars so that’s good for the 2.3 but even better on the 2.7. My worry with the 2.7 auto is boredom. The Bronco will be a mass produced very common 4x4 and driving auto may get old like I’m just driving an explorer with a removable top. The manual will make it a bit more special.

my wife’s uncle taught her to drive manual on an old CJ out in Colorado years ago and he said auto is just a car, manual makes it a “vehicle” . Save the manuals! Lol

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A torque converter is no different in result than a clutch. It spins, creates pressure it turns into friction, and eventually locks or holds at a slippable pressure just below lockup. The advantage of a manual in crawling is that it effortlessly maintains a low speed at a fixed ilde or whatever your left foot desires. Unlike an auto which is often slipping. Giving an inconsistent feeling. A manual will idle over obstacles that a automatic will simply stop and slip at.
you forgot to add they are both very similiar in design except the auto is wet computer controlled and the manual is driver controled. However, the new select shift autos give the driver the ability to select any gear manually the only thing missing is a clutch pedal and the computer can handle that much more eficiently than you can. Some autos even use a series of dry clutches like on the focus. Their really isnt much difference ecept the auto has modern controls but the manual has old fashioned human control. I own a jeep rene TH with a 2.4 and it is a pig untill you use the select shift to hold it in the proper gear so the engine can rev up for power and they its a beast.
Sponsored