First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The question you should ask is not whether the engine will be damaged by boost or RPM pulling hills. The question is wear on your clutch. If you are going up hill in 6th gear you should downshift to 5th or 4th or maybe lower depending on grade and vehicle speed. If you attempt to accelerate in overdrive (6th/ even 5th in some instances)up hill you are putting more stress on the clutch than in a lower gear and can cause early wear.

On a 4cyl rpm is your friend, like already stated by Kodiakisland.
How are you straining a clutch leaving it in gear while rolling. That makes 0.0 sense. Unless you're clutch is worn and slipping the engine and trans are connected with the clutch engaged. Have a BMW with 100k on a clutch never downshift on the highway when I need to speed up or go up hill.
Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CC29F91A-AAE8-43AD-AA0E-7A6107E269CB.jpeg

AB2E2105-95AC-4EF3-A098-15E4EE01E6E7.jpeg

A0F7F8E1-D7F2-44B0-92D4-0DF8027803BC.jpeg

So far I’ve had a chance to drive my Badlands on Spas Creek in slade county Kentucky. Along with many miles on highway and inner city Lexington.

It easily took on spas creek. Ran 80% of it in first/second gear 4L. Mainly to save trans. No lockers engaged. Sway bar disconnected here and there to see it’s limits. Vehicle did everything with ease!

City traffic can be rough in a manual at times, which is to be expected nonetheless. 2.3L still has enough pep for aggressive traffic. Brakes are excellent for how heavy the Bronco is.

Highway, it has a good amount of power, wind and rolling hills impact mpg drastically. It is shaped like a rolling brick, so fuel economy is expected to be lower. Can be noisy, though not overbearing in a soft top when trying to speak with passengers

My question I have, if anyone can help. When cruising on the highway (65-75mph 2.2ish rpm’s) turbo is almost always bouncing around 1-5psi. When going up a decent grade, I drop to 5th to keep the engine cool and heads from warping. (5th gear 2.9ish rpm’s) Is it fround upon staying in 5th for an extended period of time? Or am I downshifting for no reason and should I keep it in 6th gear, and let the turbo spool up past 12psi or so?
How are you going to warp heads moving at 70 mph uphill? They warp if you overheat the engine, like way overheat. These engines are made quite robustly they will also protect themselves before ever getting into a danger zone.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We're closing in on 8,000 miles on our 2-door Base 2.3/7-speed. Just completed a 3,500 mile road trip over the holidays in it, with some 10-hour driving days. This engine trans combo is a joy to drive, even in traffic, even in hills and curves. We have 35" tires on the stock 4.46 gears so first is slightly under-geared but the rest of them feel just right. My only advice to those getting a manual transmission is to buy the Ford pre-paid maintenance plan. I think it's especially important with the manual transmission because it comes with free clutch service any time, not tied to maintenance intervals. Especially if you wheel it on tough trails without lockers like I do, the clutch will probably have a shortened lifespan :)

Ford Bronco 2.3L Badlands MT 2600 mile review/question 0B5A4662-AC70-4857-B7FF-81C658F12312

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We're closing in on 8,000 miles on our 2-door Base 2.3/7-speed. Just completed a 3,500 mile road trip over the holidays in it, with some 10-hour driving days. This engine trans combo is a joy to drive, even in traffic, even in hills and curves. We have 35" tires on the stock 4.46 gears so first is slightly under-geared but the rest of them feel just right. My only advice to those getting a manual transmission is to buy the Ford pre-paid maintenance plan. I think it's especially important with the manual transmission because it comes with free clutch service any time, not tied to maintenance intervals. Especially if you wheel it on tough trails without lockers like I do, the clutch will probably have a shortened lifespan :)
Interesting observation on adding the maintenance plan because of the clutch. The 10K oil change interval plan is $1490, Ford values their oil changes at $90 each. I would probably do the in between 5K oil changes myself to save a few bucks, plus I enjoy doing them. The rest of the plan is $590 by itself to 100K, pretty cheap overall, but with many of the service intervals being at or past 100K the actual value would be limited. The 125K plan is an extra $420, but should take care of the expensive 100K service with spark plugs. I think the value is there on the 125K, but I’m torn on purchasing this plan or not since I prefer doing my own oil changes and if I never used the clutch or brake replacement the program is a loser.

The 100K plan would pay for this:
10 oil changes (oil filter is $8, oil is $6 per quart)
4 cabin filters ($20 each)
3 air filters ($15 each)
2 brake fluid flush at 3 year intervals ($100)
Wiper blades as needed ($14 each, $40 for all 3), probably every 2 years
possibly brake linings, maybe covers rotors?
possible clutch

The 125K plan would pay for:
10 oil changes
6 cabin filters
4 air filters
2 brake fluid flush at 3 year intervals
Wiper blades as needed
1 spark plug change ($8x4 on the 2.3L)
possibly brake linings, maybe covers rotors ($600-800 if rotors are covered)
possible clutch (~$800?)

I was going to purchase this plan for my 2020 Raptor before I sold it, mainly because it covered the expensive shocks.

Ford Bronco 2.3L Badlands MT 2600 mile review/question 7C50C4D6-72DE-4731-B6EC-EE7EC198154D

Ford Bronco 2.3L Badlands MT 2600 mile review/question 3741E6C7-CABF-4119-8691-AE4D1753B581

Ford Bronco 2.3L Badlands MT 2600 mile review/question 5EE9E2D7-46D0-4F05-9610-7EC793E50303

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Some engine/transmission setups are just quirky. My Tacoma 4cyl puts out all of 150hp on a good day, and I can make the clutch slip in 3rd in a hard pull. As far as I know has never slipped in any other gear. I replaced the clutch the first time it started doing it. After a bit of wear the second clutch will do it too, but really only if I make it. I now just avoid hard pulls in third and it's not an issue.

I guess it's just the right RPM, torque range to overcome the pressure plate. Doesn't seem like it should do that, but it does.
Interesting. I have driven many M/T's over the last 46 years and never had one slip in any gear except for a worn out clutch on an old GTO. It sounds like the pressure plate clamp force is insufficent for the build.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PLindsey725

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Lexington gang!👋

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My question I have, if anyone can help. When cruising on the highway (65-75mph 2.2ish rpm’s) turbo is almost always bouncing around 1-5psi. When going up a decent grade, I drop to 5th to keep the engine cool and heads from warping. (5th gear 2.9ish rpm’s) Is it fround upon staying in 5th for an extended period of time? Or am I downshifting for no reason and should I keep it in 6th gear, and let the turbo spool up past 12psi or so?
I run my 6MT JK in 5th most of the time to keep it around 2800 rpm (where the 3.8 is happiest). 6th is for flat roads at higher highway speeds or down hill. There is 160000 miles on this kind of driving.

Net: I don’t see it as a problem.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you straining a clutch leaving it in gear while rolling. That makes 0.0 sense. Unless you're clutch is worn and slipping the engine and trans are connected with the clutch engaged. Have a BMW with 100k on a clutch never downshift on the highway when I need to speed up or go up hill.
There will always be "strain" on a clutch during any acceleration. I'm defining "strain" as resistance. If there were not, the clutch would not be able to transfer power (no resistance = slipping). In most scenarios, the strain is not enough to exceed the pressure between clutch plate and flywheel and torque gets transferred either from the engine to your transmission, or from your transmission to your engine (during engine braking).

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Research 2007-08 GT500 TSB on the factory clutch. It couldn't hold the factory power. Well documented. I upgraded mine to the shelby performance clutch after 30K miles. No issues since, at 86K miles at 650HP.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The clutch in my focus on the other hand, I have to be gentle with even though the engine is still stock.

Do you have an RS or an ST? I've definitely slipped my RS clutch without any clutch input at peak torque in fourth gear 😅 nature of the beast unfortunately

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Research 2007-08 GT500 TSB on the factory clutch. It couldn't hold the factory power. Well documented. I upgraded mine to the shelby performance clutch after 30K miles. No issues since, at 86K miles at 650HP.
Apples to oranges This turbo 4 is not a gt500 with a performance clutch/pressure plate .
Seriously they way people talk about these Broncos you would believe the parts are made from paper mâchè.

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There will always be "strain" on a clutch during any acceleration. I'm defining "strain" as resistance. If there were not, the clutch would not be able to transfer power (no resistance = slipping). In most scenarios, the strain is not enough to exceed the pressure between clutch plate and flywheel and torque gets transferred either from the engine to your transmission, or from your transmission to your engine (during engine braking).
As pertaining to the OP statement, in no way or form could leaving a stock bronco in 6th gear while accelerating (even uphill) would do any damage or shorten the life of a clutch or pressure plate. If anything the power is linear due to slower Rev up than downshifting.

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apples to oranges This turbo 4 is not a gt500 with a performance clutch/pressure plate .
Seriously they way people talk about these Broncos you would believe the parts are made from paper mâchè.
Agreed, my original post was because of previous threads on clutch failures, and the OP's original question pointed to possibly less experience operating a manual transmission.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As pertaining to the OP statement, in no way or form could leaving a stock bronco in 6th gear while accelerating (even uphill) would do any damage or shorten the life of a clutch or pressure plate. If anything the power is linear due to slower Rev up than downshifting.
I agree that there is minimal risk in that scenario.
Sponsored