Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2.3L Reviews

TFL Cars

“The smaller engine might not have the horsepower of the V6, but it’s lighter and definitely changes the feel of the truck. Making it even more agile.”
-Kelley Blue Book

“The 2.3 L engine is more than enough to keep pace with traffic, even in Eco mode and even with light throttle applications.”
-Ars Technica

“Our on-road time was spent behind the wheel of a 2.3-liter, four-door Outer Banks model with the 10-speed automatic, and we were struck by how effortless it is to drive. Even in the 4,600-pound four-door model, the little four-pot feels strong and accelerates effortlessly. It even sounds pretty good when you really get on it.”
-AutoBlog

“We only had a chance to experience the 2.7-liter EcoBoost out on the road, though the 2.3-liter felt more than adequate for off-road duties.”
-CarBuzz

“I didn't get the chance to drive the I4 on the street, but thanks in part to smart gearing, the smaller engine offered plenty of oomph on the trails.”
-CNet

“The 2.3L four-cylinder engine and 2.7L V6 both generate good torque, thanks to the combination of turbocharging, wide gear ratios and low ranges for scrambling.”
-Detroit Free Press

“The standard turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine (300 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel) provides sufficient acceleration whether it's combined with the standard seven-speed manual or the optional 10-speed automatic. The larger and optional turbocharged 2.7-liter V6 (330 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel) makes a satisfying improvement but isn't a necessity.”
-Edmunds

“The four cylinder engine offers more than enough power and torque for on and off-road driving.”
-Forbes

“Off-road-specific hardware aside, the 2.3-liter four-cylinder in our Badlands performed far better with the 10-speed automatic than the available manual gearbox. Naturally, moving off the line was a smoother experience. But the way the gearbox behaved in the different GOAT driving modes (there are seven on the Badlands, but we spent most of our time in Rock Crawl) and how it handled throttle inputs gave us much more confidence on the trail. As for power, the base engine was barely an issue on the toughest obstacles, thanks to its ample low-end torque.”
-Motor1

“While the extra V6 power is always welcome, I did not feel the four-cylinder really lacking in power for regular driving on busy city streets or on the interstate.”
-TFL Car

“There's quite a bit of torque on tap, even with the four-cylinder, so you really don't need to touch the throttle when taking off on a flat road. That part made stop-and-go traffic pleasant.”
-The Drive

SpeedProtige
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My general feeling after watching some of the reviews was that they weren’t overly impressed with the 4 cylinder, but it was not terribly lacking and good enough.
The majority of reviews I’ve read say that there isn’t much difference between the 2.3L and 2.7L, until you’re on a hill/incline. I’ll watch the videos after work.

OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m extremely happy too 😂

Great reviews for the 2.3L all around! I’ve driven one before, and it had a lot of power. So thankfully these reviews will be helpful for those who haven’t driven one yet.

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m extremely happy too 😂

Great reviews for the 2.3L all around! I’ve driven one before, and it had a lot of power. So thankfully these reviews will be helpful for those who haven’t driven one yet.
I don’t like TFL’s 8.75 0-60 in 7spd badlands.

OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t like TFL’s 8.75 0-60 in 7spd badlands.
Well if you actually read their review, it says the reason it took that long, was because they had to manually shift. The 10speed automatic transmission should shave 2 seconds off of that time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lemme get behind the wheel and show them how to drive a manual!
That’s what I’m saying! I think the right driver could easily shave down a couple seconds.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really doubt the 2.3 WOULDN’T be a great fit for the Bronco. It’s the largest engine you can get in the Ranger, and has not been panned in that vehicle’s weight, hauling capacity and total load ratings.

I’m not that disappointed to not have the 2.7/7MT combo. Time of course will tell.