First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey everyone I recently picked up my big bend a few days ago. Drove it all the way from NY to VT and did not hear this noise. There are no warning lights or errors and the vehicle is running great! But I can't help but notice this slight grinding noise when the vehicle is at idle. Its a really inconsistent noise it comes and goes every few seconds. I have no clue what it is, was gonna take it to dealers soon that have them listen to it/fix it. Do any

of you know what it could be? I'll attach a video and maybe you can hear it as well. Thanks!
I've seen/heard this on various vehicles over the last 55 years. More so on trannies with shifter integral with case, not so much on Muncie, T10 or other oldie. I think it's the mainshaft kinda floating around, not loaded, and a tiny bit of vibration wiggles up through the shift lever.
Probably wouldn't worry about it unless it got way worse.
Paul

I
Sponsored

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer's parts guy had the same Bronco as mine, and his wasn't making the same noise so they spent some time on it. The current theory is the fuel pump. Currently waiting on a new one to come in, being replaced under warranty.
Fuel pump swap was a noticeable difference. I'm pretty satisfied now.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have heard this in many perfectly operational manual transmissions. Alarming in this case because we are talking about relatively new vehicles

OP
OP

Buffaloguy

Base
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've seen/heard this on various vehicles over the last 55 years. More so on trannies with shifter integral with case, not so much on Muncie, T10 or other oldie. I think it's the mainshaft kinda floating around, not loaded, and a tiny bit of vibration wiggles up through the shift lever.
Probably wouldn't worry about it unless it got way worse.
Paul

I
Yeah you're probably 100% right. I no longer worry about it and it only happens in really cold weather for up to 20 or so minutes then stops when vehicle is warm. When its warm outside it doesn't do it at all.

slypops

Badlands
First Name
Reggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Ford F-150 4x4 , 11 JK wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah you're probably 100% right. I no longer worry about it and it only happens in really cold weather for up to 20 or so minutes then stops when vehicle is warm. When its warm outside it doesn't do it at all.
Mine is exactly as the video. It is def a metal on metal noise. Goes away when warm. Ford documented my video and of course told me quit worrying. I told them I would ( thank goodness my 05 Ram2500 '11 Wrangler 79 Ford F150 or 66 Sunbeam Tiger clutches don't have a metal to metal grind)....just my brand new Bronco.....

Sponsored

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exact sound, but mine literally goes away within 1 minute of warming up or 10 seconds of driving. By the time I get to the end of my driveway and let it idle it's not there any longer. Not really concerning to me, but would be interested in getting an official answer.

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Badlands started doing this 10-days ago, at around 2000 miles… it goes away with clutch pedal depressed, and comes back when the pedal is out.

Is that what others are experiencing?

It does seem very temporary, maybe 1-2 minutes and then it goes away.
this is exactly how i'd describe the sound & behavior on mine. It's been in the shop since 3/4, they think it's the flywheel, and hopefully starting work on it today.

Impatient

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is exactly how i'd describe the sound & behavior on mine. It's been in the shop since 3/4, they think it's the flywheel, and hopefully starting work on it today.
Mine says its the slave cylinder which just came in today. I was told with any luck I will have it on Wednesday. Not feeling optimistic this will be over on Wed... I have a feeling I will end up having to wait for a full transmission when all is said and done.

Impatient

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Add me to the full transmission replacement list. They got a closer look at it and determined that was the safest route. I hate that a brand new vehicle needs it but I'd much rather a new transmission than a piece by piece swap out.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Add me to the full transmission replacement list. They got a closer look at it and determined that was the safest route. I hate that a brand new vehicle needs it but I'd much rather a new transmission than a piece by piece swap out.
Bummer... Thanks for the update

Sponsored

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What did you find out? Others in BN experiencing this had some pretty significant work done to remedy the situation…

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did you find out? Others in BN experiencing this had some pretty significant work done to remedy the situation…
It’s in the bay being worked, I expect to hear whether they need more parts today or tomorrow.

Patience

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door manual Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the exact noise my 2dr manual makes. I noticed it at 430 miles and now have 6100 miles with no change for better or worse. Here are the conditions I noticed. For the noise to occur at idle in Neatral clutch engaged (pedal released) the vehicle has to be cold with an ambient temp of less than 58 F. Press the clutch and it goes away (still in neutral). BUT driving at slow driveway parking lot speeds is a different story, noise is still present at 5-6 MPH in C or 1st even after it has gone away in neutral at idle. Still there if you drop it into 4 low and use higher gears. Get it hot on a drive and the driving noise (same noise as idle in neutral) finally calms down and/or goes away. It is NOT gear roll over. Sounds like bearing or shaft chatter. NOW....don't try this at home kids but if I put very brief and slight pressure on the 4th or 6th gear synchro with the clutch engaged/pedal released (I know, I know) the grind noise will stop even when cold and not come back until I shift or start driving. This tells me it's in the transmission. Not the clutch, flywheel, thow out bearing or pilot bushing/bearing. I read this entire thread and I'm not sure if people are getting this resolved. Does anyone have current experience or resution for this grind/scratch/chatter type noise?

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is another thread or two circulating that confirms your "slight pressure on 6th gear syncro" test making the noise disappear. AFAIK the final diagnosis was bad main shaft or output shaft..I forget which one but the remedy was to replace the entire tranny.

GtownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Add me to the list. Got a MT Badlands back in December and heard the noise right away. Dealer didn’t hear it until I finally left it over night, did a ride along with them and got them to listen. Next day they got off the phone with Ford and told me they would replace the tranny. Honestly, happier they do that then open it up. Now I have to wait for the part to come in - tic toc, tic toc - which I’m sure will take forever. They didn’t even have an estimate.

one question was could this affect anything else or is the issue silo’d to the transmission?

definitely a bummer when you spend on a new car and it’s got issues out of the gate.
Sponsored