First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to update everyone. I have an appointment at the dealership on February 8th. I have just noticed, when I drive the bronco for about 20-30 minutes and its warm then its back idling in neutral, it doesn't make the noise anymore. Still gonna take it in but it seems to me that this happens in cold weather or just when the bronco is started in cold weather as well. Its been -15 to 8 degrees here the last few weeks. Today its 30 degrees, I started the bronco, heard the noise, drove for about 20 minutes, parked left it in neutral and got out to listen for the noise and it was completely gone.
Sponsored

Fillups

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Expedition EL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Wow, at least now I know I’m not alone! Just found this thread and will read the others linked here, posting as another impacted 7MT and to subscribe.

Mine is 2-door Badlands, took delivery little over a month ago, currently 750 miles give or take a few. I feel confident this noise was there from day 1, but didn’t notice it until starting in my garage on a cold morning at around 350 miles. I was also in denial first few times I heard it, didn’t want to believe my new car would have serious issues.

In my case the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed, let it out and the rattle or grind is VERY noticeable and not normal. I don’t really want a dealer tearing down a transmission with 750 miles, need to be replaced IMO. Hope @fordmotorcompany can figure this out - soon.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wow, at least now I know I’m not alone! Just found this thread and will read the others linked here, posting as another impacted 7MT and to subscribe.

Mine is 2-door Badlands, took delivery little over a month ago, currently 750 miles give or take a few. I feel confident this noise was there from day 1, but didn’t notice it until starting in my garage on a cold morning at around 350 miles. I was also in denial first few times I heard it, didn’t want to believe my new car would have serious issues.

In my case the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed, let it out and the rattle or grind is VERY noticeable and not normal. I don’t really want a dealer tearing down a transmission with 750 miles, need to be replaced IMO. Hope @fordmotorcompany can figure this out - soon.
Hi Geoff! I can look into your Bronco's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol...there you go, another speak to your dealer post ;) gotta love Ford quality & customer service

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone sent me the TSB, here it is: 22-2371
I've been told service is:
It's a complete transmission disassembly to gain access and replace the 5th and 6th gear synchronizer rings.
Ford Bronco 2.3L EcoBoost  Manual Transmission slight grind noise at idle 1671110537400

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fillups

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Expedition EL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Someone sent me the TSB, here it is: 22-2371
I've been told service is:

1671110537400.png
Thanks for the details, I just called my dealer to schedule a visit- 2/6 first available day. I made sure they knew there is likely wear occurring while being driven, but maybe that does not matter if they replace the trans.
I will also DM to FoMoCo based on their reply the other day, shows effort at least…

Last edited:
Reactions: djp

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

did you find ours with over 50 pages?

Join the forum to discuss https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thread...

Take the Feedback Poll "Does you Bronco make the noise?" https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thread...

Images of Damage That is Likely Associated to The Noise (5th & 6th Synchronizing Gears) https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thread...

Related TSB (TSB 22-2371) information as of 12/13/2022 https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thread...

Show less

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I had mine (7MT Badlands 4dr) in April 2022 for this issue, they had my Bronco for 1 month to rebuild. It did fix the issue. However, I have started hearing it again recently as the temperatures have dropped, so I guess i'll bring it back in again... :(

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I had mine (7MT Badlands 4dr) in April 2022 for this issue, they had my Bronco for 1 month to rebuild. It did fix the issue. However, I have started hearing it again recently as the temperatures have dropped, so I guess i'll bring it back in again... :(
Can you tell us what work they did? Did they simply replace the entire transmission? Or did they disassemble the transmission and replace components?

Ford has recently (in the last 30 days) put out a TSB for this issue that we've been discussing in the main thread for this issue. It specifies removing the transmission, disassembling it, and replacing the 5th and 6th gear syncrhos.

Multiple people have reported that they got their transmission replaced, but the noise came back shortly after. We haven't heard of anyone yet who's had the TSB work done and had the noise come back. Please let us know if you're the first!

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you tell us what work they did? Did they simply replace the entire transmission? Or did they disassemble the transmission and replace components?

Ford has recently (in the last 30 days) put out a TSB for this issue that we've been discussing in the main thread for this issue. It specifies removing the transmission, disassembling it, and replacing the 5th and 6th gear syncrhos.

Multiple people have reported that they got their transmission replaced, but the noise came back shortly after. We haven't heard of anyone yet who's had the TSB work done and had the noise come back. Please let us know if you're the first!
Sorry it took a few days to reply. They only gave me a printout so I need to go dig it out this weekend.

Sponsored

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2022 7MT also seems to have this issue. 500 miles on it. Only been noticeable since the temperatures started dropping. It's quite loud and noticeable when trying to accelerate from a low RPM. For example if I give it 50% throttle at 1200 RPM in 2nd gear going like 5mph. Whereas normally it might just bog a bit until boost/RPM goes up, now it also makes a terrible chattering noise. A similar but different noise is present upon cold start in idle - if I press the clutch in, it goes away.

BassMaster

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't have my Bronco yet....that said I've had three Bronco II with manual thru the years...the sound is not entirely unlike noises I have heard with my B2 when I have in neutral and let out the clutch although typically on my B2 it is a more steady noise.

I was thinking throwout bearing and when I looked at the link to the other thread I see an update says the dealer speculated the same thing....

I am not sure how it is the throwout bearing in that case as the bearing actually is loaded when the clutch is pushed in as it holds the plates apart. In neutral with the clutch out the clutch plates are coupled and gears in the trans spin but aren't aren't engaged with the drive shaft. I believe in my B2 why it makes noise is because of those other gears are running like when driving but no road noise. Also because they aren't engaged, there isn't noise so sometimes being free running they are more subject to rattling within the gear backlash and be normal. This is speculative however based on a different vehicle type.

By the way, on my original 88 B2, my throwout bearing failed around 110K miles and I would hear it making noises but when the clutch as pushed in. You could hear it make tink and ding sounds like bearings were missing for maybe 10K miles where one day I heard a clink sound and it stopped making that noise but. if held in longer than a few seconds it would make squealing sounds like it was on bare races. Clutch engagement point moved like it required more movement cause there wasn't the bearings in there anymore. I never got it serviced and got another 80K miles on it by minimizing clutch usage...namely by not using it to disengage gears, never sitting stopped with clutch in and only engaging it for the minimum time to switch into a gear.
There’s a TSB about this from Ford. The 5th and 6 th hear synchro gears are bad. My dealer ordered the parts to fix mine which of course are back ordered until who knows when. I told the service manager it’s under warranty so I’ll drive it till it goes and then Ford can tow it in.
It seems that Ford’s use of a Chinese transmission is coming back to bite the customers.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's a bit of a dilemna for me. I have the noise, see the repair involves disassembling the transmission and replacing synchros, which for some has taken a month or more and then it still comes back?
I don't know if my local dealer is competent to rebuild a transmission, I don't want to be without the vehicle while they figure it out, and am thinking I might wait to see if it's actually going to cause damage. If it does within the warranty period it'll get fixed then. Maybe by the time that happens they'll have decided that the fix is a whole new transmission and swapping out the whole unit should be within the grasp of the actual dealership tech.
Not deliberately disparging dealership techs, but my experience has been they are basically building hours and experience and when they get really good they get a better job at an indy. The main GM dealer in AK refused to do a tsb, instead told me I needed to have the entire transmission replaced as they felt it was a "customer satisfaction" issue, IOW, they didn't have anyone who could fix a transmission.
Sponsored