First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3 or 2.7 engine? I have a 2.3L, I went with the J&L OSC can. I did not have to remove the inner fender to install. They have a note on their website about a engine design change...

2021.5-2022 Ford Bronco 2.3L Ecoboost

**Please note, Ford changed the PCV line location in the middle of the 2021 model year. This oil separator only fits the later year change. We believe the change happened in 10/21 build dates. Please check over the install directions and compare to your own Bronco if you have a 2021! There is a picture above that circles this lines location!

https://www.jlosc.com/j-l-oil-separator-3-0-driver-side-2021-5-2022-ford-bronco-2-3l-ecoboost/
Wow. That’s the first I’m hearing of that change. What a pain the knuckles that was to install in my pre-October 2021. I’d be interested to know if the newer parts/placement can be swapped in for easier maintenance/hose replacement.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't remove it but did remove a few connectors and pulled it back a bit for better access. The lower connection is mostly by feel once you figure out which connection it is. I did have an issue with the UPR directions. The PCV line I pulled was reconfigured and didn't look the same as the pics in their instructions. ID the top connection first then trace the line to the other termination point.
UPR was the first to market. I bet they’re unaware of the late 2021 change and the instructions reflect the original location. It wasn’t fun.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Those of us in the nasty cold winter states, I'm in MN with temps below 0 for the past few days. I checked my catch can (2.3L manual) and I have ice buildup and ice in the bottom of the can. I chipped out a good 1.5oz's. My concern is the freezing in the cap/screen and hoses. Any thoughts?

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG
Update from J&L OSC (the brand I have) on the ice build-up in the can...

The vast majority of this condensation is happening inside the can. This happens from the hot engine air being hit with the cold outside air. Once the hot engine air is passing through the hoses it will quickly melt that ice and hence, more water mixed in with the blow by. The can will fill up faster in these conditions and should be checked and emptied appropriately to match the conditions. Just like any other routine maintenance, if it isn't kept up with there could be potential problems. I have never personally heard of one freezing solid, there isn't anywhere for water to sit in the lines and build up enough to freeze the entire hose.

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did almost 1200 miles on the Bronco this week. Just check the drain line and got a few ounces of liquid.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The big question is what oil is everyone using? Different brands act differently to moisture. So the one gentleman who had a bunch is moistly moisture collection. I’d suggest checking after the engine was running for a good time. If you check it after the engine has sat over night more than Likely it’s just condensation collection

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those that have installed them, what have you been seeing over 1000 miles or between oil changes?

I installed at 3000 miles and checked at 4200 miles. Mine has a drain line and I got exactly 0 out of it. I'm not complaining one bit. I'll keep checking at set intervals though just in case there is a change.
where does your drain line drain to? Does it have a valve?

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

where does your drain line drain to? Does it have a valve?
In lieu of just a plug at the bottom of the can, there is a nipple with about 1'+ hose attached with a quarter turn valve at the end. It came with the can. I routed mine down and tuck it behind the upper part of the bash plate. It allows me to fish it out and drain into a container without even opening the hood.

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to chime in here with a few things! Honestly, it's a good thing to not collect much on these new engines! Over time you'll likely see a gradual increase in blow-by collection, but having the can installed is always a good investment for the future health of your 2.3.

Update from J&L OSC (the brand I have) on the ice build-up in the can...

The vast majority of this condensation is happening inside the can. This happens from the hot engine air being hit with the cold outside air. Once the hot engine air is passing through the hoses it will quickly melt that ice and hence, more water mixed in with the blow by. The can will fill up faster in these conditions and should be checked and emptied appropriately to match the conditions. Just like any other routine maintenance, if it isn't kept up with there could be potential problems. I have never personally heard of one freezing solid, there isn't anywhere for water to sit in the lines and build up enough to freeze the entire hose.
I came here to say this. In the winter months, you're going to see a little higher collection due to condensation, which has a chance to freeze in the can. Just warm the vehicle regularly before setting off to melt any ice in the can.

Also, for those using drain kits, make sure that you're still inspecting the inside of the can regularly, too, since the drains can gunk up over time. I personally just experienced this while draining the can on my Focus ST. I only had a few drops from the drain, but the can was actually full to the brim since the drain was packed with gunk. Granted this is on an almost 200K mile engine, so I typically have more blow-by collection, but just something to keep in mind as your engine ages.

Finally, for those with our kit, going in through the wheel well definitely makes installing that lower connection simpler. Here's the view of where you need to connect the line from the wheel well:

NLT_9145-scaled.jpg

We opted for this process instead of tapping into the line so that you're able to fully return the vehicle to the OEM configuration if needed without having to purchase new OEM lines.

I hope this helps those who had any questions or concerns, but if you have any more, don't hesitate to reach out!

-Nick

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to chime in here with a few things! Honestly, it's a good thing to not collect much on these new engines! Over time you'll likely see a gradual increase in blow-by collection, but having the can installed is always a good investment for the future health of your 2.3.

I came here to say this. In the winter months, you're going to see a little higher collection due to condensation, which has a chance to freeze in the can. Just warm the vehicle regularly before setting off to melt any ice in the can.

Also, for those using drain kits, make sure that you're still inspecting the inside of the can regularly, too, since the drains can gunk up over time. I personally just experienced this while draining the can on my Focus ST. I only had a few drops from the drain, but the can was actually full to the brim since the drain was packed with gunk. Granted this is on an almost 200K mile engine, so I typically have more blow-by collection, but just something to keep in mind as your engine ages.

Finally, for those with our kit, going in through the wheel well definitely makes installing that lower connection simpler. Here's the view of where you need to connect the line from the wheel well:

Ford Bronco 2.3L Catch Can Results NLT_9145-scaled

We opted for this process instead of tapping into the line so that you're able to fully return the vehicle to the OEM configuration if needed without having to purchase new OEM lines.

I hope this helps those who had any questions or concerns, but if you have any more, don't hesitate to reach out!

-Nick
Thanks for chiming in Nick with good feedback for everyone.

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Checked my J&L catch can after having it for 1,000mi. This seems like a lot to me.
Currently at 2,400mi on my 2022 in Denver.

Ford Bronco 2.3L Catch Can Results PXL_20230219_190518582
Sponsored