Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Guess you do not understand a direct injection engine. There is 0 gasoline flowing in the intake or on the back of the valves. There are plenty of videos of DI cars with charcoal in the top of the intake valves and on the head. 1st instance for me was when bmw went DI on their turbo 6s, guy's car started running horrible, took off valve cover it looked like a grill at a campground. It has nothing to do with blow by it is a function of the PCV system and CCV system pushing oily air into the intake with 0 gas to clean out the residue.
Direct Injection= fuel (gasoline in this case) injected into the cylinders only and not into the intake air stream under idle or throttle load.

Yes, I understand direct injection. I also understand blow-by, crankcase pressurization, crankcase ventilation systems, air-oil separators, and catch-cans.
The PCV system is there because of blow-by. Cylinder gasses getting by the rings is blow-by. That pressurizes the crankcase which must then be ventilated to reduce the pressures. That's the PCV system. Modern GDI engines have an air-oil (or vapor) separator in the PCV system that takes most of the oil and water out of the PCV stream before it is plumbed into the intake. The liquids are then dumped back into the crankcase.

Yes, many GDI cars have a problem with carbon buildup (not charcoal) in the intake runners and at the back of the valves because they do not have the vapor separator included in the system.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

UPR on my 2.7. 1,000 miles. Bone dry. Total waste of money.
I thought the same when I put one on my Bronco Sport. Can started collecting fluid during the winter months.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what it’s worth - 6000 miles in and my catch can is bone dry. Haven’t collected a drop. I guess I should be happy.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what it’s worth - 6000 miles in and my catch can is bone dry. Haven’t collected a drop. I guess I should be happy.
2.7L or 2.3L?

Sponsored

Willub

Badlands
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the same when I put one on my Bronco Sport. Can started collecting fluid during the winter months.
That’s just water condensation. Nothing that’s worth catching.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the Mishimoto last weekend. As soon as I pulled the connection off the PVC port on the intake oil started running out of the tube. I'll give it a week or so and see what's in the can.

SirLawrence

Base
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 2.3 Bronco with a Mishimoto Catch Can, and it was over half full after just 3000 miles. From things I had read, I was expecting like a few tablespoons. I am going to have to empty it more often than I thought!

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So
Doesn’t need it. Catch cans don’t do anything when the engine is under boost. There are two crankcase ventilation systems. One for low pressure that feeds vapors back into the intake stream and the other that works under boost and is in the top end of the engine that you don’t have access to that does the same thing but has a more complicated vapor path due to the pressures involved. Catch cans hook into the low pressure system only and catch and condense primarily oil vapors and water vapors that would normally just flow into the cylinders, especially when they are hooked into the vent system after the air-oil separator that’s already there. And only when the turbo is not spooled up which means at the lowest crankcase pressures When blow-by is lowest.
It’s a ‘feel good’ add on that is of no real benefit.
where does all the baked on crud on back of valves come from?

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Direct Injection= fuel (gasoline in this case) injected into the cylinders only and not into the intake air stream under idle or throttle load.

Yes, I understand direct injection. I also understand blow-by, crankcase pressurization, crankcase ventilation systems, air-oil separators, and catch-cans.
The PCV system is there because of blow-by. Cylinder gasses getting by the rings is blow-by. That pressurizes the crankcase which must then be ventilated to reduce the pressures. That's the PCV system. Modern GDI engines have an air-oil (or vapor) separator in the PCV system that takes most of the oil and water out of the PCV stream before it is plumbed into the intake. The liquids are then dumped back into the crankcase.

Yes, many GDI cars have a problem with carbon buildup (not charcoal) in the intake runners and at the back of the valves because they do not have the vapor separator included in the system.
Does the 2.3 in the Bronco have a vapor separator system?

TT6gbd

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1st gen 2.7 was direct injection….2nd gen 2.7 (the one on our 6gen bronco) is dual injection

TT6gbd

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you watch the video I posted the guy explains the dual injection. Also that doesn’t mean is perfect and you don’t need a catch can but it will educate you on the engine and maybe narrowing down the decision on putting the oil catch can or not. I’m honestly undecided as of now but I’m keeping my options open and hoping someone with more knowledge can throw their 2 cents
Sponsored

Reactions: rws