Sponsored

2.3L Ecoboost only?

frankco2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Now that we know the 2019 Ranger is only getting the 2.3l Ecoboost it stands to reason the 2020 Bronco may have just that one engine option also. Also saw this..

On FB, Ford posted a photo of the '19 Ranger. Someone commented that they didnt want a Ranger built in Mexico. Well some Ford insider replied saying that both Ranger and Bronco will be built in Michigan and have the 2.3L which is made in Cleveland as the only engine option.

I'm not taking that as gospel just yet but it seems likely since so much will be shared between these vehicles?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 2.3 EB is a good engine choice for the Ranger (and probably Bronco if it's kept small). 280 HP would be plenty for a vehicle like the Ranger. I never did understand having so many engine choices in some models. With fewer options, Ford can sell the vehicle at a lower price point because it will be easier to assemble. I also like that the Ranger is getting the 10 speed automatic right off the bat.

So far everything I've read about the Ranger looks really good. I can't wait to drive one and see what they are like.

MattyIce

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Since the new bronco is based off the Ranger, it stands to reason that the bronco will get the same drivetrain. At first I was upset with no v6 option, but I've warmed up to the idea that it could potentially be the same 2.3 they put in the Mustang. 310 hp and 320 ft-lbs of torque, I'm cool with those numbers.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just doesn't have the V8 sound. That is the shame.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Torque and MPG. What is what I want out of my Engine/Drivetrain combo.
No reason a modern SUV should be getting under 25MPG, especially compacts or standards.

Sponsored

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4 banger Ecoboost should be a stout in this platform. In most cases, reviewers of this engine in the Mustang were in love with the instant response and low end grunt, but wished it had more top end. Sounds like a perfect truck motor to me!

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Torque and MPG. What is what I want out of my Engine/Drivetrain combo.
No reason a modern SUV should be getting under 25MPG, especially compacts or standards.
Aerodynamics are a big part of mpg. If you want big wheel wells for big tires, that's gonna cost a lot - it's also why the wrangler has the coeficient of drag of a parachute.

Big wheels and tires are heavy; and the farther the weight is from the flywheel, the more it takes to spin it. Even the smallest 4cyl 2wd tacoma doesn't get 25mpg... Might be able to scratch 25-30 mpg in 2wd form with a small 4cyl diesel... which I wouldn't be surprised to see in the bronco/ranger's future. They have plenty of mpg conscientious mall crawler suv's and crossovers IMO. No reason to compromise the offroad capability of your offroad one to offer the same thing...

And the 2.3 makes 310hp/350tq out of the factory, and ford performance offers a tuner that adds another 25hp and 70 ft lbs of torque on top of that... Yeah it doesn't sound as cool as a coyote, but not a bad base engine at all...

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 2.3L EB would make a fine base powerplant for a 2wd Ranger but I have concerns about its ability to properly motivate a 4x4 crewcab or a fully loaded 4x4 Bronco. The only reason I can imagine that Ford does not want to dominate the midsize market by offering a suitable engine like the 2.7L EB is that they are afraid of the impact such a truck would have on F-150 sales. I guess they would rather risk losing a sale to the competition than lose a single F-150 sale to the Ranger. I also do not expect to see the Ranger Raptor available in North America for the same reason. I have been a loyal Ford customer my entire life but I have not purchased a new vehicle since 2007 simply because Ford has not built a truck I want or need and I seriously doubt the 2.3L Ranger will be that truck either. I honestly hope I am wrong but I am not holding my breath.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went and drove a Wrangler JL 4-door Manual trans. The transmission is nice but that 3.6 needs to rev to get any power so it felt pretty gutless off the line. I also drove the 2.7 EB in a F150 reg cab 4x2 and wow.. love that torque!

If they can keep the bronco <4k lbs (any news on aluminum body?) and the 2.3 has similar torque curve (haven't driven one..) and 310 HP it will run circles around the Wrangler.. which isn't half bad once the revs kick in. Car and Driver clocked a manual 2-door JL 0-60 6.1 seconds.

Please please oh pretty please offer it with manual trans..

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
haha.....haahahaahahaaha! Man. I can't wait to ask people....hey man....is that the 2.3L?! Hahaha...baby dick.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since the new bronco is based off the Ranger, it stands to reason that the bronco will get the same drivetrain. ...
The Ranger, Bronco, Everest, Troller T4, Mazda BT-50, are/will be built on the same T6 chassis. The wonder of body-on-frame construction is that the vehicles can have very little else in common. The Troller and Everest obviously do not share body parts for example, and the body is largely what will determine which power plant will fit, so if the Bronco has unique body architecture there is no reason Ford can't put a v8 in it if they feel like its a good sales option. Or put solid axles under the Bronco (the Troller has them).

And as far as the Ranger only having the 2.3 inline 4, I don't expect it to take very long before Ford offers as least one other engine option. That was probably just done to get the production rolling before they complicated matters with options.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really hope the inevitable V6 option Ford offers for the Ranger and Bronco is the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost.

Lots of people seem enamored with the 2.7 just because it has been in the F150, but it really doesn't offer anything substantial over the 2.3 i4 -- and I think we can safely assume the Bronco will share the base engine with the Ranger (unless it proves a dismal failure somehow). The 2.3 and 2.7 performance engines seen in other Ford models top out around the same point (~315hp), but the 3.0 as seen in the Explorer interceptor and Lincoln models like the Aviator reach 400HP.

A detuned version of that 3.0L V6 ought to perform exceptionally well for the Bronco (around 330HP), while outperforming the competition and leaving room for Ford or aftermarket performance shops to turn it up in the future if Chevy, Ram etc. come out with a competitive option -- of if Ford wants to offer a Raptor/Baja halo trim Bronco in the future, just turn it up to that 400HP interceptor rating they already have in their pocket.
Sponsored