First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That final recommendation has me confused and it isn't the first time reading it regarding the 2.7 for the 4-dr. Isn't there only 500 lbs difference between the 2/4 dr models? Seeing the size of some of the buyers in pictures at the East/West events, seems like 500lbs could easily be added to the 2-dr with driver/passengers/gear. If 2.7 is recommended on the 4-dr, how come there is no recommendation for the 2.7 on the 2-dr? All I keep reading is that the 2.3 will be fine for the 2-dr. (The above is assuming Auto trans.)
The Ranger I just drove was a 4 door so I imagine about the same size and weight of what a 4 door Bronco will be and it was plenty, much more power than I expected, it will be slightly better in the 2 door too which is what I'm getting.
Sponsored

ellinger26

Outer Banks
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe an irrelevant comment, but had an 2.0T in an Audi A4. Audi's engine is supposed to have very little turbo lag, but it drove me nuts. I moved on to a BMW 340i with the 3.0T straight six. Instant torque and then incredible torque when the turbo spools up. My point? If you haven't driven a small turbo four in the past, be sure to do so before you make your choice. For me, the 3k is worth every penny in turbo lag frustration. The 4T engines are great, but for that brief moment when you need it crossing traffic or making a two-lane road pass.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe an irrelevant comment, but had an 2.0T in an Audi A4. Audi's engine is supposed to have very little turbo lag, but it drove me nuts. I moved on to a BMW 340i with the 3.0T straight six. Instant torque and then incredible torque when the turbo spools up. My point? If you haven't driven a small turbo four in the past, be sure to do so before you make your choice. For me, the 3k is worth every penny in turbo lag frustration. The 4T engines are great, but for that brief moment when you need it crossing traffic or making a two-lane road pass.
Not too irrelevant, but a lot of the difference is transmission and the turbo itself; size, geometry, etc. There will be a turbo and AT lag with both engines, but the 10-speed, in my experience, is great in Sport mode. The 2.3 will be plenty and the 2.7 almost over-powered, but I prefer the joys of driving a manual over trying to stoplight race in an SUV.

If you had the Audi with the CVT transmission, pre-2017?, there was a huge lag and my friend hated it. Your BMW has twin turbos which may be smaller than your old Audi's single and that reduces lag too. Until we get our butts in Broncos, we won't know for sure, but the Sport mode on the 10-speed should satisfy all but the pickiest who can have theirs tuned for even harsher shifts.

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not too irrelevant, but a lot of the difference is transmission and the turbo itself; size, geometry, etc. There will be a turbo and AT lag with both engines, but the 10-speed, in my experience, is great in Sport mode. The 2.3 will be plenty and the 2.7 almost over-powered, but I prefer the joys of driving a manual over trying to stoplight race in an SUV.

If you had the Audi with the CVT transmission, pre-2017?, there was a huge lag and my friend hated it. Your BMW has twin turbos which may be smaller than your old Audi's single and that reduces lag too. Until we get our butts in Broncos, we won't know for sure, but the Sport mode on the 10-speed should satisfy all but the pickiest who can have theirs tuned for even harsher shifts.
I think I need to drive another Ranger. The one I drove didn't seem to have sport mode. Or I couldn't figure out how to get into it. I'm still leaning more towards a manual though. Just seems right for the Bronco.

ellinger26

Outer Banks
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

2014 with a 8-speed Tiptronic. I will _never_ buy a car with a CVT. VW/Audi 2.0T has always been highly regarded, but I'm just sensitive to it. I also drove the new 2020 BMW 2.0T in the 330 and the Mercedes 2.0T in the GLE 350. Both were great, but turbo lag just drives me nuts. I'd always opt for the bigger engine.

There is a separate thread showing the torque curves of the 2.3 v 2.7, that is what you will feel. I completely appreciate the sentiment for the manual. Also sport mode, my cars live in sport mode. My advice, exactly as Squatch said, is to put your butt in a seat before you choose. Pay attention to the lag off the line and make sure it doesn't bother you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think I need to drive another Ranger. The one I drove didn't seem to have sport mode. Or I couldn't figure out how to get into it. I'm still leaning more towards a manual though. Just seems right for the Bronco.
One thing to remember is the gearing. The bronco with a 2.3 will feel even more powerful in the bronco due to this. My F150 has a 2.7 with 3.55 rear and weights right around 5k lbs and will haul ass. The only thing is when your accelerating up to about 30 mph it doesn’t keep traction well under full throttle. The gearing on the bronco makes me feel as if with say the 35” tire it will bring the ratio down but still won’t be as low as my F150. I honestly think the 2.3 will be enough for most and will be very capable off road where the 2.7 would be more for those on the street. I could see where being off road the 2.7 would cause more wheel slippage and to 2.3 being easier to manage. 310 lb ft is plenty for that scenario. Just my take having driven a ranger and mustang and owning the 2.7.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2014 with a 8-speed Tiptronic. I will _never_ buy a car with a CVT. VW/Audi 2.0T has always been highly regarded, but I'm just sensitive to it. There is a separate thread showing the torque curves of the 2.3 v 2.7, that is what you will feel. I completely appreciate the sentiment for the manual. Also sport mode, my cars live in sport mode. My advice, exactly as Squatch said, is to put your butt in a seat before you choose. Pay attention to the lag off the line and make sure it doesn't bother you.
The lag shouldn’t be as noticeable in the Bronco due to the gearing. Plus a tune will usually eliminate lag. My buddy at work just got a 2020 F150 with a 2.7 like mine but his has 3.73 rear gear and his has the appearance of no lag vs mine with the 3.55 gear feels like it has a 2 second lag from a dead stop, but if I put the truck in sport mode it’s like the lag just disappears.

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing to remember is the gearing. The bronco with a 2.3 will feel even more powerful in the bronco due to this. My F150 has a 2.7 with 3.55 rear and weights right around 5k lbs and will haul ass. The only thing is when your accelerating up to about 30 mph it doesn’t keep traction well under full throttle. The gearing on the bronco makes me feel as if with say the 35” tire it will bring the ratio down but still won’t be as low as my F150. I honestly think the 2.3 will be enough for most and will be very capable off road where the 2.7 would be more for those on the street. I could see where being off road the 2.7 would cause more wheel slippage and to 2.3 being easier to manage. 310 lb ft is plenty for that scenario. Just my take having driven a ranger and mustang and owning the 2.7.
That's true, I owned a 2.7 F150 for a short while and it hauled butt that's for sure. I forget what gear ratio it had but the Bronco will have in the mid to high 4's vs the mid to high 3's as in a F150 or Mustang. I'll have to look up the rear end ratio for a Ranger and combine with the first gear ratios and see how they compare.

The Ranger I drove had zero turbo lag, it seemed to really jump off the line which felt really nice and then the 10-speed would go from 1st to 3rd and you'd be smoothly cruising. I'm not super worried about the power of the 2.3 but I do want to see what 1st gear ratio is on the manual.

OP
OP
Bronco4lyfe85

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too didn’t notice the sport mode but it appears to be on the shifter as ‘S’

CFD288

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a mechanic so I am trying to learn as much as I can about both engines. Im leaning towards the 2.3L manual, just adds more fun to driving. Question.....I have a small utility trailer i use for overlanding, carring my gear and a small canoe.. Does anyone know if i get a factory tune on the 2.3L will that effect towing capacity/ capability in any way?

Thanks

Sponsored

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too didn’t notice the sport mode but it appears to be on the shifter as ‘S’
I saw the S but when I tried to pull the shifter down to it nothing happened. Felt like it was up against a wall/at the end of the shift pattern.

I just watched a YouTube video where they explained that a Ranger in sport the +/- button actually switches from highest gear lockout to actually manually shifting but they didn't show/explain how to get into sport.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I saw the S but when I tried to pull the shifter down to it nothing happened. Felt like it was up against a wall/at the end of the shift pattern.

but they didn't show/explain how to get into sport.
Just move the stick to "S". That's sport mode, if this video is correct.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not a mechanic so I am trying to learn as much as I can about both engines. Im leaning towards the 2.3L manual, just adds more fun to driving. Question.....I have a small utility trailer i use for overlanding, carring my gear and a small canoe.. Does anyone know if i get a factory tune on the 2.3L will that effect towing capacity/ capability in any way?

Thanks
Just to clarify you mean a Ford Performance tune correct?

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just move the stick to "S". That's sport mode, if this video is correct.

I must have been doing something wrong because when I tried to move the selector to S it wouldn't go.
Sponsored