First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Guys, I brought home my Wildtrak and really have loved most everything about it. After a short 2 hr drive from TN to AR, I found the first two things I don’t…

The wipers are not strong and definitely will not keep up with bugs in the summer here in the south. Something I can figure out.

But the other thing was strange and maybe a bit concerning, when I was cruising or driving at higher speeds and not actively accelerating the engine seem to have rpm fluctuation or flutter between 1800-2100 RPM. At first, I thought it was wind gusts and then felt kind of like a miss. But I could watch my tach and it would bump up 100-200 rpm and then settle back where it was. Maybe once every 10-15 seconds, sometimes more / sometimes less. Seemed to do it without cruise as well but not as much. Almost didn’t do it at all that I could tell below 1800 rpm / 45 mph.
Was curious if any others with 2.7 feel / see the same? Something that has been discussed before here?
Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Guys, I brought home my Wildtrak and really have loved most everything about it. After a short 2 hr drive from TN to AR, I found the first two things I don’t…

The wipers are not strong and definitely will not keep up with bugs in the summer here in the south. Something I can figure out.

But the other thing was strange and maybe a bit concerning, when I was cruising or driving at higher speeds and not actively accelerating the engine seem to have rpm fluctuation or flutter between 1800-2100 RPM. At first, I thought it was wind gusts and then felt kind of like a miss. But I could watch my tach and it would bump up 100-200 rpm and then settle back where it was. Maybe once every 10-15 seconds, sometimes more / sometimes less. Seemed to do it without cruise as well but not as much. Almost didn’t do it at all that I could tell below 1800 rpm / 45 mph.
Was curious if any others with 2.7 feel / see the same? Something that has been discussed before here?
Lane keep assist? Do you have High or Lux package? There is feedback through the wheel when it senses lane drift or changing lanes with no blinker. You can turn it off - I did, drove me nuts.

OP
OP

nuindian

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lane keep assist? Do you have High or Lux package? There is feedback through the wheel when it senses lane drift or changing lanes with no blinker. You can turn it off - I did, drove me nuts.
Yeah, it’s definitely not that. I did turn all the adaptive cruise and driver assist stuff off to be sure. I can see it flutter in RPMs slightly on my digital tachometer.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t t had any fluctuation issues with the motor.

For the wipers I dropped down from 17” to 15” wipers to help with them. Been working out well. Get a extra drip or 2 in the middle after, but haven’t had them slow down yet.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine definitely does not do this. The amount of RPMs you're describing is enough to be the difference in a gear on the 10-speed. Have you tried driving in manual mode to see if it's gear hunting by the transmission?

If the engine is actually surging (randomly spiking up in RPMs at idle, vehicle not moving) it is typically an air or fuel delivery issue.

Sponsored

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, it’s definitely not that. I did turn all the adaptive cruise and driver assist stuff off to be sure. I can see it flutter in RPMs slightly on my digital tachometer.
yea sometimes in sport if I push the speed on a paved road and then don’t activelyaccelerate the engine sits at 3 rpm and revs like I’m in a manual car coasting on the wrong gear.

this happens if a i blast off and then try to coast in sport as I didn’t downshift or b going semi fast and going downhill in sport. Outside of this I generally enjoy normal mode and sport in 2d.

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

yea sometimes in sport if I push the speed on a paved road and then don’t activelyaccelerate the engine sits at 3 rpm and revs like I’m in a manual car coasting on the wrong gear.

this happens if a i blast off and then try to coast in sport as I didn’t downshift or b going semi fast and going downhill in sport. Outside of this I generally enjoy normal mode and sport in 2d

OP
OP

nuindian

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine definitely does not do this. The amount of RPMs you're describing is enough to be the difference in a gear on the 10-speed. Have you tried driving in manual mode to see if it's gear hunting by the transmission?

If the engine is actually surging (randomly spiking up in RPMs at idle, vehicle not moving) it is typically an air or fuel delivery issue.
I was kind of thinking of the same. Was gonna try that today. Also, it is an extremely smooth and quiet idle just while driving with the scenario I described. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
OP
OP

nuindian

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was kind of thinking of the same. Was gonna try that today. Also, it is an extremely smooth and quiet idle just while driving with the scenario I described. Thanks for the feedback.
Didn’t do it at first while things were cold and thought it was gone but got back on the road and same thing. It happened in both automatic and manual mode as well as thru Normal, Eco, and Sport modes. No codes or alerts again. Doesnt hapoen when I am coasting. i think its a fuel delivery or intake issue at this point. Planning to take it by the local service tomorrow if they are open.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One thing is Ford claims the first 1,000 miles things can be weird so give it a chance

Second, it could be shifting out of OD or 10th. Without revving the piss out of it, put it in manual mode and see if the RPM change happens.

Third..yeah, the wipers don't seem to do crap for windshield kills....i was planning on trying some different washer fluid to see if maybe it works better.

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like the transmission changing gears. Give it some miles to "learn" and it should improve.

I've been contemplating writing a post with my impression/opinions on the 10spd trans. In short I don't like it, but I'm trying to give myself time to get used to this thing. Trouble is I'm used to the previous 6spd which was down right awesome. This one changes gears to often and performance suffers. Between the delay, continuous changing of gears, and sometimes hard shifts, it is irritating. My wife drives a '22 explorer ST with the same trans and 400hp, she as just an ordinary driver had the same complaints as I shared with her.

The other thing that may have been happening is you may have accidently been pushing on the trans shift button on the left side of the shifter. I've actually pressed it with my leg while on long highway trips. If you press the down, it will shift down and then shift back in a few seconds.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Keep an eye on this - also note if there is any vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel while this occurs.

Wondering if you and I have the same issue

OP
OP

nuindian

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Keep an eye on this - also note if there is any vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel while this occurs.

Wondering if you and I have the same issue
No real vibration in the steering, just feel it in my seat and reverbs in the back.

Took it locally to the Ford dealership here in AR and they are pretty convinced it’s a faulty torque converter but said to drive it home to TN to see if it straightens out since I don’t have many miles on it. Luckily it didn’t take it long to do the same thing while they were driving it around.

Planning to take it to my dealer in TN when I get home.

I will post another update when they look at it. Appreciate all that have thrown in on this thread.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No real vibration in the steering, just feel it in my seat and reverbs in the back.

Took it locally to the Ford dealership here in AR and they are pretty convinced it’s a faulty torque converter but said to drive it home to TN to see if it straightens out since I don’t have many miles on it. Luckily it didn’t take it long to do the same thing while they were driving it around.

Planning to take it to my dealer in TN when I get home.

I will post another update when they look at it. Appreciate all that have thrown in on this thread.
Gotcha - I will keep an eye out for your update.
All info is good info!

Thanks

OP
OP

nuindian

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Gotcha - I will keep an eye out for your update.
All info is good info!

Thanks
Dropped it off tonight so maybe will have an update for all tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed fairly quickly and easily.
Sponsored