Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD and 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
posted yesterday at NHTSA

Steering Failure - Ford Denies Warranty Claim

" . . Despite the service department at the dealership saying they identified the malfunctioning part, Ford sent us away without approving a warranty repair—citing a policy that because the service personnel could not report a computer code for the part, Ford will not pay to fix it. . . "

- '21 Bronco - 2.7L, w Adv 4x4 - 4Dr
- bought April 2022
- also has GOAT Mode failures

Steering Failure.jpg
There is obviously more to that story that wasn’t shared in the complaint.

Leaking axles don’t throw codes but they get fixed under warranty is just one example of how incorrect the reporter misrepresented the claim denial.
Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is obviously more to that story that wasn’t shared in the complaint.

Leaking axles don’t throw codes but they get fixed under warranty is just one example of how incorrect the reporter misrepresented the claim denial.
You have proof of this?

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Common sense tells you leaking seals will get fixed since no codes are set off
I’m talking about the complaint being misrepresented.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m talking about the complaint being misrepresented.
It reads like a bad Yelp review.... it is not Fords policy a code needs to be thrown to have a warranty claim and no one there would tell them that.

Days old vehicle with a denied warranty claim on a major issue... even the shittiest of dealers wouldn't be that obstinent.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It reads like a bad Yelp review.... it is not Fords policy a code needs to be thrown to have a warranty claim and no one there would tell them that.

Days old vehicle with a denied warranty claim on a major issue... even the shittiest of dealers wouldn't be that obstinent.
I’m not saying it’s the case but let’s not be so sure either. People ordered broncos expecting to pay MSRP too but we know how that went with some dealers.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At face value, I think we all agree that the malfunctioning steering part should be replaced under warranty, but yet the dealer denied the claim. Why?
Who's the asshole? The dealer, the customer, both?
Is the Bronco modified with larger wheels or tires?
There is more to the story

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
? What info do you think wasn't shared ? ___ same question to @cowman and @hozer

Your examples seem to support the owner's warranty claim

report says the failures started "within days of buying" it, and their original dealer said it "would be covered under warranty."

Steering Failure.jpg
I was saying it should be warranty… even if no codes set

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Man, these just keep coming.

Pardon me not reading through all 275 pages, but how confident are we that these engine failures are contained mainly to the “hot zone” of Julian dates?

I have a 228 date. That’s awfully close to the hot zone. I just crossed 10K miles.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

? What info do you think wasn't shared ? ___ same question to @cowman and @hozer

Your examples seem to support the owner's warranty claim

report says the failures started "within days of buying" it, and their original dealer said it "would be covered under warranty."

Steering Failure.jpg
My left axle broke at the hub end while in Moab and it was a warranty repair and it did not throw codes. Find another dealer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was saying it should be warranty… even if no codes set

đź‘Ť it reads like both of the dealers agreed w the owner's warranty claim

a) original GA dealer said warranty covered, few days after purchase

b) later the FL dealer service dept made inspection, and they supported warranty repair

c) but then Ford Corp second-guessed FL dealer service, and denied the claim

that's how it reads to me

it'd be great if the owner might see this and jump in w more info

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Steering Failure

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, these just keep coming.

Pardon me not reading through all 275 pages, but how confident are we that these engine failures are contained mainly to the “hot zone” of Julian dates?

I have a 228 date. That’s awfully close to the hot zone. I just crossed 10K miles.

am planning ' Good Engines ' update soon

the range Julian 225-228 sort of in limbo between Hot Zone 159-224 and the New Valves Transition period 229-265
- we have not seen any engines built in the 229-265 Transition

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll chime in here.

There's nothing that can be concluded from the complaint except the customer has claimed to have an issue with their steering assist and drive modes. I'd attach out the warranty and policy manual to give some context to what I'm about to say but it's too much to unpack.

I absolutely believe this person has experienced this issue and has shown screen shots of said fault messages to a tech/service advisor/service manager. Without the full VIN to look at the warranty history, the next stuff is going to be some assumptions.

Customer took vehicle in, showed messages, a repair order is created and tech attempts to verify the customer's concern. Assuming this is intermittent to some degree, tech may not be able to duplicate the concern on the test drive and pulls into the shop. He will check for any TSBs, SSMs, recalls or broadcast messages that might relate to this concern. If none are found he would likely check the VHR in OASIS and check for any pending or continuous codes in the system. If no codes exist, the concern can't be duplicated, a visual inspection finds no obvious causes and there are no bulletins/recalls/messages that relate to the complaint, by Ford's policy, it's considered a no problem found or NPF.

Two things can exist at once those being the customer does have a legitimate concern and it is also intermittent enough the technician has no historical data or evidence to attempt further diagnostics. This does not mean Ford or the dealer is unwilling to repair the vehicle nor does it give the dealer the right to start throwing parts at a problem with unsupported diagnostics. Remember, an absolute TON of diagnostic testing can only be done through a guided routine in FDRS which is controlled by Ford.

I get the frustration of the customer's complaint to NHTSA but there's also a lack of understanding about what we can and can't do which is completely dependent on the testing to support a repair. We don't follow the diagnostic steps, Ford won't pay the claim, worse yet, the problem won't likely be fixed either. In the case of this customer, there's not one part I'd even suggest throwing at this problem as a guess. Did the dealer suggest leaving the vehicle so they could drive on and off to try and replicate? Did the dealer reach out to hotline for assistance? How intermittent is the problem?

To summarize, customer has a problem, problem can't be readily duplicated and no codes or other faults to identify what system to even begin checking. FDRS controls a huge amount of the tests that can be performed and seems didn't meet the criteria to prompt further testing. Customer is upset because dealer didn't replace any parts or attempt a repair and left believing neither Ford or the dealer would warranty the problem that wasn't duplicated or fixed.
This situation sucks for everyone involved but it's not as simple as getting the "parts cannon" out and replacing stuff. It's sad the customer believed a NHTSA complaint was the only option they had left. Lots of stuff involved with this but I don't believe the customer included all of the details were in the writeup.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And another one bites the dust.

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

am planning ' Good Engines ' update soon

the range Julian 225-228 sort of in limbo between Hot Zone 159-224 and the New Valves Transition period 229-265
- we have not seen any engines built in the 229-265 Transition

Thank you for the info. I guess I would either be the last of the “bad valves” or Guinea pig for the correction.

Fingers crossed. I’ll be sure to update if mines goes.
Sponsored