Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@lobbs611 of course they'll be available for the Bronco, but it doesn't change the weight carrying capacity of the vehicle. You can build a rack to carry an elephant, but you can't change the 150/450 lbs weight rating of the Bronco.
Ford and Jeep do not have the same internal standards for emergency handling. This is a paper limit, I think you know that. It is not a serious engineering limitation unique to Bronco that Jeep just nailed from the factory. You can be upset that Ford didn't simply publish higher numbers, and still have a high degree of confidence that you wont be forced into a barrel roll maneuver by building a typical reasonable overland set up.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TeocaliMG There are over a billion reasons for the limit. It's based on the Bronco II and Explorer.

"According to government accident statistics assembled by Safety and Research Strategies, one in every 2,700 Ford Explorers built between 1990 and 2001 rolled over and killed at least one person in the car. The accident figures associated with the Ford Bronco II, the forerunner of the Ford Explorer, are even more frightening: one in 500 Bronco II’s ever produced was involved in a fatal rollover." - https://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/07/ford-explorer-rollover-settlement/

Add up the amount paid in claims and it's over one billion dollars. Google Ford Bronco II rollover claims, or Ford Explorer rollover claims.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why bring up Wranglers or Jeeps. They aren't made by Ford and Ford's ratings aren't taken from the Wrangler. They're a different vehicle, made by a different company altogether.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it’s an option with the 2 door in the Ford site but as anyone seen a bronco with a 2 door and rtt?
We are on the same boat.
As far as I know, I have a few options:

Soft Shell
— Yakima HD Skyrise (101 lbs)
— Thule Tepui LowPro2 (105 lbs)
— Thule Tepui Explorer Ayer (105 lbs)

Small Footprint (Soft Shell)
— Thule Tepui Foothill (110 lbs)
— Hutch Daly 2 (95 lbs)

Hybrid/Hard Shell
— GFC Superlite (80 lbs)

It seems though I'm narrowing it to my last 2 mentioned. Only because with the 15-25lbs saved, I can still throw some recovery/lights/etc on top (?)

*EDIT*
— I also have a backpack that can fit my kitchen, food, water, shelter, and security. Which easily fits in 1/3rd of the trunk.

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@TeocaliMG There are over a billion reasons for the limit. It's based on the Bronco II and Explorer.

"According to government accident statistics assembled by Safety and Research Strategies, one in every 2,700 Ford Explorers built between 1990 and 2001 rolled over and killed at least one person in the car. The accident figures associated with the Ford Bronco II, the forerunner of the Ford Explorer, are even more frightening: one in 500 Bronco II’s ever produced was involved in a fatal rollover." - https://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/07/ford-explorer-rollover-settlement/

Add up the amount paid in claims and it's over one billion dollars. Google Ford Bronco II rollover claims, or Ford Explorer rollover claims.
You are literally making the point of my first sentence. Ford and Jeep do not have the same standards. Ford has a good reason for that, have you heard of the Ford Firestone controversy? Aside from the failure mode being totally different in the vast majority of these accidents, you are dealing with way more Explorers on the road, at generally higher speeds than the Wranglers of the same era. This is hardly even worth discussing in detail.

It is entirely relevant to bring up the Wrangler now because that it the direct competitor. If you feel that the Wrangler is legitimately substantially more capable at emergency handling when its roof rack weight is exceeded with zero data to back the claim then we have nothing to discuss. I'd love to race ya on the skidpad tho if you want.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why bring up Wranglers or Jeeps. They aren't made by Ford and Ford's ratings aren't taken from the Wrangler. They're a different vehicle, made by a different company altogether.
Because they're load ratings. They're dictated by physics and materials construction. The Wrangler is analogous to the Bronco due to both being convertible off-road SUVs. It has nothing to do with an issue 30 years ago with two completely unrelated other than brand vehicles.

The dynamic rating for the Mopar rack (closest to factory rack you'll get with a Wrangler) is 150 dynamic. That rating exists because you're anchoring a rack into a structure largely consistent of fiberglass/SMC. Any more weight than that and you risk ripping it out of said fiberglass/SMC top during harder driving due to the limitation of those materials. The Bronco also has a removable SMC top. Now, if you were to attach to rack to say, a steel reinforcement it would have considerably different properties before yielding. Going to an aftermarket rack that is anchored properly to a sturdier point allows you a far higher carrying capacity. Your concern then would be exceeding payload which is generally frowned upon. The payload on the Bronco is somewhere in the neighborhood or 1200 pounds which allows for plenty of weight for the rack, your tent, some gear and the people in the tent/truck.

Ford Bronco 2 door with RTT? Screenshot_20210216-134156

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TeocaliMG You keep bringing up that I think or feel the Wrangler/Jeep...

I'm not sure how much salted fish you eat, or whether you just feed it to your strawman.

I never brought up the Wrangler, didn't say I thought or felt the Jeep was different, the same, better, etc. You keep introducing the Jeep into the argument as something relevant, attributing something to the conversation that I never said. Making a comparison about the number of Wrangler and Explorers on the road has nothing to do with the weight rating of the Bronco.

We can race if you think that would help, but I don't see how. You'd have to come out west though because I'm not going to Michigan for a skid pad race, especially considering I'm not even sure what we're racing.

Logic much?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@lobbs611 I think you and teo had lunch together?

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Related, are there any manufacturers that are doing something like this?

3_13329_13186_vdrg019951.jpg

might work as a nice alternative to a RTT

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve owned a traditional folding RTT & a GFC camper, sold them both. They were fun, but I’m looking to simplify. Plus I like ground tents so I’m planning on “trying” to keep things simple & light.
Honestly if your dead set on running an RTT a convertible may not be your best option. Or at least skip The OE rack and wait for the aftermarket to cough up something better. In general aftermarket racks are far superior to OEM racks in my opinion.

Good luck!

PEACE

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@AcesandEights
I'm not gonna clog this thread up anymore than we already have by addressing your comments. PM me if you would like to continue. You seem to like to debate, you can practice your mic drops with me as you read up on what a strawman is.

Regarding the thread, I am definitely more of a tent man myself so I don't have a whole lot of feedback for RTT's but I guess I would start by looking at what 2 Door Wranglers use (gasp, how could we possibly discuss such a thing ;) ) and assume we will have a bit more roof top real-estate than the Jeep

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

honestly, a hammock and a sleeping bag is probably more my style. Maybe that’s the golden ticket ... hmm.
Check out Warbonnet, the absolute best in my opinion.
my apologies if I just cost you as much money as they cost me 😂

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Related, are there any manufacturers that are doing something like this?

Ford Bronco 2 door with RTT? 3_13329_13186_vdrg019951

might work as a nice alternative to a RTT
Yes lots of possibilities going this route. You can even jump in the drivers seat if a bear comes.
Ford Bronco 2 door with RTT? 43d4f006-ecae-414a-a4c6-e05d6e59d8f8
Sponsored