Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here are some customizations I'm considering - I would love to hear your thoughts:
  • Instead of 6" lumber for the frame, using 10" or 12" for additional depth. This may reduce comfort in the back seats.

Only potential problem I see with your taller wood idea would be that the 3 forward arms appear to remain in place when deck is folded back and seats are in the up position. Wouldnā€™t this leave an unsightly obstacle at the entry points and in the center?

Maybe if you hinged the entire forward assembly instead of just the deck? That way the forward arms will fold backward and end up upside down on the rear deck. The 3 arms would then act as ā€œcompartmentsā€ for the rear (though I guess youā€™d need some sort of removable deck to cover them with when in that configuration)

Dunno. But I know I like this build enough to steal it. ;) With a few mods.
Sponsored

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only potential problem I see with your taller wood idea would be that the 3 forward arms appear to remain in place when deck is folded back and seats are in the up position. Wouldnā€™t this leave an unsightly obstacle at the entry points and in the center?

Maybe if you hinged the entire forward assembly instead of just the deck?
Yeah, that's an inherent issue with this design. It's just whether a 2"x10" is that much more obstructing than a 2"x6". That part doesn't really bother me, since the back seats will only be used occasionally for short trips.

I also wonder if the center support could be eliminated if using strong-enough plywood.

As for hinging the whole assembly, it's an interesting idea. Because it has two hinges and folds in a "Z" pattern, I don't think it would work very well.

Telescoping arms made of metal could be interesting. šŸ¤”

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am about to start this project. A quick question for those on this thread. What is the downside to making the forward part of the platform rest on the folded seat back vice the wood frame? Is there a risk to damaging the seat backs or seats? What is the advantage of the frame?

Thanks in advance.

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now thatā€™s cool. šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am about to start this project. A quick question for those on this thread. What is the downside to making the forward part of the platform rest on the folded seat back vice the wood frame? Is there a risk to damaging the seat backs or seats? What is the advantage of the frame?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure you would actually damage the seats. It would depend on how much weight you carried on the platform and how often. I am pretty sure that after a while it would leave some kind of mark on the seat back. There are a few of those builds on the forum. You could get the seat back protectors. Another option would be to design it so the weight is concentrated on the two child seat anchors on the back of the seats. I got some ideas from this thread. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/my-diy-2-door-rear-seat-delete.51578/

Last edited:

Sponsored

blumtn

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 Toyota 4x4, '93 FJ80, '01 F250 4x4, '86 FXRS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a great design. Thanks for posting. It looks like it would be easy to also attach the base to the floor anchors, screw the platform down, and add a lid latch. This would secure the box and contents in the case of collision or rollover and not really make it much more difficult to remove.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not sure you would actually damage the seats. It would depend on how much weight you carried on the platform and how often. I am pretty sure that after a while it would leave some kind of mark on the seat back. There are a few of those builds on the forum. You could get the seat back protectors. Another option would be to design it so the weight is concentrated on the two child seat anchors on the back of the seats. I got some ideas from this thread. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/my-diy-2-door-rear-seat-delete.51578/
I appreciate the feedback. Mostly will carry two 70 lbs dogs and hunting gear. I appreciate your ideas and thanks for posting your design; itā€™s great. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just implemented this design. Easy project with just basic hand tools. I used scrap material I had laying around so cost was well under $100 (for the carpet and hinges).

Material used was 2x6 for the ā€boxā€ at the tailgate and 3/4ā€ MDF for the actual platform (stuff I had laying around). Went to Lowes and bought a 6ā€™ x 5ā€™ piece of carpet. Make sure it doesnā€™t have a backing on it because you want to fold it around the edges of your platform. And a 6ā€™ stick of piano hinge (aka ā€œcontinuous hingeā€). $25 for the carpet. $35 for the hinge.

My implementation deleted the arms going forward alongside the rear seats and between them. I just let the platform rest on the seat backs. Sturdy enough to easily support my weight back there. I have no intention of hauling a freezer, gun safe or anything ridiculously heavy back there.

You can see that there is a slight incline at the very front because the seats are just a little bit higher than the 2x6 box at the tailgate. I used 2x6ā€™s because thatā€™s what I had, I would imagine a 2x8 would give you a more level look of thatā€™s important to you.

Another thing I considered - if you want the platform even higher - instead of arms going alongside the seats consider folding table legs to support the front edge of the platform. At that point you could use 2x12s giving you a deeper box in the rear and a higher platform. I opted against this based on the fact that I built this for the dogs and didnā€™t want them riding too high (and the fact that I already had 2x6ā€™s laying around)

Would recommend this as a weekend project for any 2 door owner looking for an inexpensive and functional rear platform design.

SAFETY WARNING: Nothing is bolted down so in case of accident or rollover there is a serious risk of this thing becoming a real threat to life and limb inside the cab. You can bolt the box down to the Bronco tie-down points to help there. But the platform itself is designed to be free floating. So be aware of this.

Ford Bronco 2 Dr cargo box and platform. 25E245CC-8850-4675-93B9-7D19C3086840

Ford Bronco 2 Dr cargo box and platform. EE3597A4-E86D-42C1-93B6-6D61BBE181F5

Ford Bronco 2 Dr cargo box and platform. 61232528-F57B-4B1D-A664-33E587CCB837

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
My frame and platform is now for sale. The first person who has $75 and is willing to pick it up gets it. No shipping. Sylva NC. I traded my Bronco.
Sponsored