Sponsored

Another 2-door platform - simple and clean

Would you buy this in Aluminum construction with your choice of finish (powder coat, carpet, raw)?

• Total voters

petkyy

First Edition
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I didn't want to remove my seats, just in case I need them at some point. So I built this platform last Saturday, thinking of it more as a prototype, but I might end up keeping it for now. Or at least until I (mainly my German) destroy it. The next platform will be 1/8" aluminum and prob rhino coating instead of carpet. I went without drawers cause that's just too much work, money and takes up more space. This whole thing cost me under $100 (had some scrap wood around the shop). The V2 will have a removable tray in the center section (instead of the removeable back cross member) so I can take everything out at once when having to access the lower storage and/or slide it out the back for quick access when there are items on top of the lid. Also full back cover over the seats instead of the little flaps that cover the gap. More I think about this, maybe I'll start working on the V2 this weekend lol. Let me know your thoughts

Ford Bronco Another 2-door platform - simple and clean 20230325_102752
Ford Bronco Another 2-door platform - simple and clean 20230325_170400

Sponsored

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We have very similar thoughts on this, I just have not had the time to start working on mine. Nicely done. What carpet was used, and how is it secured to the plywood? TY!

OP
OP
petkyy

petkyy

First Edition
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We have very similar thoughts on this, I just have not had the time to start working on mine. Nicely done. What carpet was used, and how is it secured to the plywood? TY!
I had this carpet lying around for a while, got it on Amazon around 3 years ago and it was glued on with the spray glue it came with. It does have a pretty strong smell. That's why I'm thinking of doing the rhino lining next time around. Or just let it air out for a day or so before placing it in the Bronco

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like the design. Especially like the slotted frame idea to access the factory under-floor storage compartment. Since my frame is rigid, I have to slide the whole frame back a couple of inches to access that area.

With that said I think this whole “access to the factory compartment” goal ends up being superfluous in real life. The problem I’ve found is that - whatever style platform box you have - it accumulates stuff. A lot of stuff. Tools, straps, air lines, hitch stinger, whatever. Nature abhors a vacuum and that’s one of the stated goals to building one of these platforms: to have a place to put all your “stuff”

So the biggest problem with accessing that factory compartment is not “is my platform design going to easily allow it” — it becomes “damn…now I gotta move all this shit just to even see the damn thing much less pull it open” :LOL:

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like the design. Especially like the slotted frame idea to access the factory under-floor storage compartment. Since my frame is rigid, I have to slide the whole frame back a couple of inches to access that area.

With that said I think this whole “access to the factory compartment” goal ends up being superfluous in real life. The problem I’ve found is that - whatever style platform box you have - it accumulates stuff. A lot of stuff. Tools, straps, air lines, hitch stinger, whatever. Nature abhors a vacuum and that’s one of the stated goals to building one of these platforms: to have a place to put all your “stuff”

So the biggest problem with accessing that factory compartment is not “is my platform design going to easily allow it” — it becomes “damn…now I gotta move all this shit just to even see the damn thing much less pull it open” :LOL:
Can't agree more. Which is why either the drawer version on hinges is a great idea (the whole thing lifts up) or storage boxes that fit under, which can quickly be pulled out of the way to access the "basement " storage. I am not talented enough to try drawers, so boxes it is for me.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suppose I'm not the target audience but I said no. I don't want any sort of platform because I don't want to raise the floor. Other Bestop owners would probably see where I'm coming from, I avoid opening the rear window if at all possible so I don't want the opening any narrower than it is.

OP
OP
petkyy

petkyy

First Edition
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

That's exactly what I'll be making a tray/box for the center to be able to pull everything out at once. Also I will only store things under that I will only need in emergencies, nothing I'll need access to on the daily

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I suppose I'm not the target audience but I said no. I don't want any sort of platform because I don't want to raise the floor. Other Bestop owners would probably see where I'm coming from, I avoid opening the rear window if at all possible so I don't want the opening any narrower than it is.

I get where you’re coming from. I’m the same way. Especially on the Bronco. Damn - you gotta open that tailgate over 90 degrees just to get the rear window to swing up and clear the gate..

For me, I‘m a Pug owner. So my little girls easily fit right under the window even with the 6” platform under them. As do the occasional boxes I pick up from the post office and what not.

Anything taller is atypical for me, but when the occasion comes along - I just deal with it and swing that big heavy gate back all the way and open the window. It’s a compromise.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let me know your thoughts

Ford Bronco Another 2-door platform - simple and clean Untitled video
I honestly feel a platform is a waste of time and money.

If someone must have a fully flat rear cargo area just delete the rear seats and cover the cargo area with 1/2" eva puzzle mat foam tiles for about $25. If you need to access the jack just pop out the two back tiles.

Removing the rear seats isn't too time consuming either and they can be bolted back in pretty easily if you need to convert back to a 4 seater.

Before getting my bronco I thought I'd want the cargo area flat and even thought about deleting the rear seats but after owning it for 5 months I'm keeping it as-is, at least for the foreseeable future.

My 2 door fits 4 adults with carry-on luggage just fine, it works perfectly!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would say no as I do not want to lose vertical space with a raised floor. I removed a rear seat because of the room it was taking up when folded down. I would just lose that space if I replaced it with a raised floor.

Sponsored

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I built a similar solution. But I like my design more, no offense. Here is my take:

1) Dogs will tear the backs of the carpet seats up, so this will not work for dogs.
2) The removable cross support beam really isn’t needed, unless you’re just trying to protect the paint of the tailgate. Quality 3/4in plywood should be strong enough for the gap.
3) access to built-in storage is key, so good on that.

OP
OP
petkyy

petkyy

First Edition
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I built a similar solution. But I like my design more, no offense. Here is my take:

1) Dogs will tear the backs of the carpet seats up, so this will not work for dogs.
2) The removable cross support beam really isn’t needed, unless you’re just trying to protect the paint of the tailgate. Quality 3/4in plywood should be strong enough for the gap.
3) access to built-in storage is key, so good on that.
I hear what you're saying. I built this with materials I had on hand without even a sketch. That's exactly why I posted it here to get input like yours so I can make the second one perfect (or close to it lol)

OP
OP
petkyy

petkyy

First Edition
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would say no as I do not want to lose vertical space with a raised floor. I removed a rear seat because of the room it was taking up when folded down. I would just lose that space if I replaced it with a raised floor.
I understand not wanting to lose vertical space but I also don't want to go through a hassle of removing and reinstalling the seats. It happens often enough I have more than one passenger. I built this with two reasons in mind.
1. My 85 pound puppy
2. When I put my tool box in, it doesn't tip over the edge of the seats

Yes, I have to lift the tool box 4 inches higher but I'm 6'2" so no biggie.

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear what you're saying. I built this with materials I had on hand without even a sketch. That's exactly why I posted it here to get input like yours so I can make the second one perfect (or close to it lol)
Ya, same here. My biggest issue was using cheap leftover 1/2in ply... I have to redo it eventually. My hatch stays open when resting on the back seats. And I can sit in the space, if needed.
Ford Bronco Another 2-door platform - simple and clean DAC1776F-FF7E-493B-BE35-CD1EA3502492

And I can grab items easily without lifting the top.
Sponsored

Last edited: