Sponsored

2 inch rough country spacer lift: good or bad idea?

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a rough country 2 inch spacer lift ship today and have been seeing some posts about them being a bad idea to install. Although I don't have my bronco yet I know that I wont be rock crawling it like a maniac or anything but I do plan on doing some colorado trails from time to time. My question is; is this safe to do? should I be worried that something might break if i do push it a little bit? I dont have the money to get a more extensive kit so i bought the spacers instead.

Edit: I am going to hold off on installing it thanks to everyone's input. Might just wait and get some money together to get the ford performance suspension so i won't have to worry every time i push my bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm considering the solid aluminum readylift option but no one seems to be running them yet...

OP
OP
blackdiamondog

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm considering the solid aluminum readylift option but no one seems to be running them yet...
its not the lift itself im worried about. I have read about the weak cv joint and dont know if that was going to be an issue or not.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only good thing about a spacer lift is they are cheap. Don't think it's a money saving venture though. You just spend it fixing stuff when it breaks.

Why a 2in lift? What size tires are you planning on buying that you need 2 inches of clearance?

OP
OP
blackdiamondog

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only good thing about a spacer lift is they are cheap. Don't think it's a money saving venture though. You just spend it fixing stuff when it breaks.

Why a 2in lift? What size tires are you planning on buying that you need 2 inches of clearance?
dont need the clearance just enjoy the look

Sponsored

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
its not the lift itself im worried about. I have read about the weak cv joint and dont know if that was going to be an issue or not.
Same for me. I'm a little worried about how chaining the geometry is going to put a strain on the CV joints. Been some cases of failure already and it seems to be with spacer lifts and bigger tires.

OP
OP
blackdiamondog

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same for me. I'm a little worried about how chaining the geometry is going to put a strain on the CV joints. Been some cases of failure already and it seems to be with spacer lifts and bigger tires.
Im just going to be running 33s so take the big tire risk out. but yes that is my cause of worry

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

dont need the clearance just enjoy the look

For $1000 or less you can buy Squatch takeoff coilovers for all 4 corners, easily do the work yourself, and have a lift that increases performance, looks great, and doesn't break the bank.

OP
OP
blackdiamondog

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For $1000 or less you can buy Squatch takeoff coilovers for all 4 corners, easily do the work yourself, and have a lift that increases performance, looks great, and doesn't break the bank.
If i could do it myself then that would have probably been my first option. but like you said spacer lifts are cheap. I dont have the 1000 to spare on it.

Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im just going to be running 33s so take the big tire risk out. but yes that is my cause of worry
I was going to go 35s. But I thinking I'm not going to go any bigger than 285/75-17 until I decide to do a full coilover swap. Waiting to see what the Ford performance kit is going to sells for. Hopefully it will be in range of what the kit for the Ranger is.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If i could do it myself then that would have probably been my first option. but like you said spacer lifts are cheap. I dont have the 1000 to spare on it.
It really is easy. I just put badland coilovers on my BD. All it takes is the righty, tighty knowledge and a few basic tools. If you are physically not able, there are lot's of people who enjoy helping on something like that and can easily be done in a home garage in a couple of hours.

What you will spend having the spacers installed won't be much cheaper than that, and you will still have the Hitachi shocks and bad geometry.

OP
OP
blackdiamondog

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It really is easy. I just put badland coilovers on my BD. All it takes is the righty, tighty knowledge and a few basic tools. If you are physically not able, there are lot's of people who enjoy helping on something like that and can easily be done in a home garage in a couple of hours.

What you will spend having the spacers installed won't be much cheaper than that, and you will still have the Hitachi shocks and bad geometry.
any videos on how to do this online that you saw? and would i need a shop jack to do this or could i get away with just some jack lifts

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

any videos on how to do this online that you saw? and would i need a shop jack to do this or could i get away with just some jack lifts

Lot of good info in this thread: Bronco Sasquatch suspension parts (shocks & springs) price quoted at $1300 from dealer parts department | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Quite a few of us have already swapped out the hitachi coilovers with the Bilsteins (Badlands and squatch) and it really is easy. I did it in my garage with a jack and a couple of jack stands by myself with no problem. It's really only a few bolts and nuts and the old ones come out and the new ones go right in. Some of us have bought new from Ford and others have bought takeoffs. Buying takeoffs is the best bet if you can find the ones you are looking for.

Honestly, if you can change your own oil, you can swap out the coilovers. It takes a bit more time than changing the oil, but it does not require any more expertise. I'm sure there is someone on here that lives near you that would love to help if you need or want the help.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think your probably safe with a 2” lift but an inch or 1-1/2” lift would be a bit safer. Geometry will be the same regardless of how it gets raised.
It could be that the torn up CV joints are caused by not properly managing the CV joints during installation.
Sponsored