Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2021 2-Door Wildtrak 2.7L that I took delivery of in November. I’ve got 4500 miles on it so far. I’ve had the random pre-collision alert warning here and there when there was no reason for it. Then 3 weeks ago I was pulling into a driveway and the pre-collision alert went off as soon as my front wheels went up the driveway and then I had no brakes. I proceeded to roll 30+ feet into the back of a parked car in the driveway. I was mashing the brake pedal as hard as I could and it didn’t even slow down a bit. Super scary as I had family standing just to the right of the parked car I hit. Immediately had the Bronco towed to the dealership and they’ve been investigating for the past 3 weeks. All I’ve heard is that certain modules aren’t communicating with each other and they’ve had another Bronco with issues with Hill Start assist module.
Wow sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad no one was injured. I had my first random pre-collision warning while driving down a county road at ~50 MPH with nothing around me. I was like WTF? and it stayed on for about 10 seconds and then poof it was gone. I will definitely keep an eye on this issue.
Sponsored

Jaxster_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Merc SLS, 2020 Merc G63
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have 2022 Bronco 2 door 2.7 black diamond/Sasquatch 3k miles. I also started getting a plethora of brake related errors I didn’t think much because they clear shortly after they display. The other night while going to the store I lost 100% of brake function I couldn’t get the brake pedal to move down at all, luckily I was going up a canyon road and was able to pull over and the kill the engine, after starting the engine again the bronco ran fine. The following Monday I made a service appointment but I noticed the brakes acting up and very firm and acting unpredictable I immediately got this thing home and had it towed to the dealer, that was today so I don’t have any further updates. I posted some photos of the errors there was more but they shuffle pretty fast. I’ll keep you guys posted on what the dealer says.
Thanks

Ford Bronco 2021 2.7L Brake Failure 4DADFDD6-A3E0-48B2-9211-CC2B56BD0202

Ford Bronco 2021 2.7L Brake Failure 09A9CC55-A70B-4512-B2F8-6F21C35B1A75

Ford Bronco 2021 2.7L Brake Failure 6586E71A-6836-485F-8AAE-95671DE2F78B

Ford Bronco 2021 2.7L Brake Failure 28976AED-7E5A-4E52-8FAF-3C2881371088

Ford Bronco 2021 2.7L Brake Failure C5FA639A-084C-4273-A9B6-CD63E089D0D1

Last edited:
OP
OP

Paxsui

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have 2022 Bronco 2 door 2.7 black diamond/Sasquatch 3k miles. I also started getting a plethora of brake related errors I didn’t think much because they clear shortly after they display. The other night while going to the store I lost 100% of brake function I couldn’t get the brake pedal to move down at all, luckily I was going up a canyon road and was able to pull over and the kill the engine, after starting the engine again the bronco ran fine. The following Monday I made a service appointment but I noticed the brakes acting up and very firm and acting unpredictable I immediately got this thing home and had it towed to the dealer, that was today so I don’t have any further updates. I posted some photos of the errors there was more but they shuffle pretty fast. I’ll keep you guys posted on what the dealer says.
Thanks

Wow glad to hear you were able to avoid any collisions. A brake system failure is one of the scariest things that can happen in a car. I’ve since thought of all the scenarios I’ve been in that would’ve been terrible to experience a brake failure in (off roading in the mountains, driving around people, etc.). Glad to hear you’re ok. Dealership has had my Wildtrak for 2 months now!!! Hopefully your process is much quicker.

Jaxster_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow glad to hear you were able to avoid any collisions. A brake system failure is one of the scariest things that can happen in a car. I’ve since thought of all the scenarios I’ve been in that would’ve been terrible to experience a brake failure in (off roading in the mountains, driving around people, etc.). Glad to hear you’re ok. Dealership has had my Wildtrak for 2 months now!!! Hopefully your process is much quicker.
Yeah very scary man! It’s a sudden confusion and with no classic handbrake you become a deer in the headlights, I live the Santa Monica mountains if I was going down the the hill this post would have had a very different story. out of curiosity was/are your doors off? My doors have been off for a few weeks I didn’t put them back on, I scheduled the tow with the doors and top off.

OP
OP

Paxsui

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah very scary man! It’s a sudden confusion and with no classic handbrake you become a deer in the headlights, I live the Santa Monica mountains if I was going down the the hill this post would have had a very different story. out of curiosity was/are your doors off? My doors have been off for a few weeks I didn’t put them back on, I scheduled the tow with the doors and top off.
No
No. My doors and top were on when the accident happened. I’ve taken them off a number of times to the myriad of dash error messages that came up when I did.

Sponsored

Jaxster_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No

No. My doors and top were on when the accident happened. I’ve taken them off a number of times to the myriad of dash error messages that came up when I did.
good luck with the bronco

OP
OP

Paxsui

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You too!

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

"In case of emergency, lift and hold the wannabe parking brake, but gently as to not break off the button, all while in a panic because your brand new Ford Tough vehicle was built with quality in mind"
You know in the movie Ad Astra where they say Brad Pitt's character astronaut Roy McBride has never had his heart rate above 80 bpm? Just be like Roy McBride.

Last edited:

Jaxster_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
***update*** dealer called me told me they’re not anticipating a fix until November… in the meantime they said wait 5 seconds after starting the car before putting it into drive this might help your brakes work lol.
I don’t think I’m even going to pick up the car it’s too scary.

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With my doors off the hill Ass it goes nuts. Not sure what it is

Sponsored

DesertRunner

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trucks and SxS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Had a similar issue with my 4dr 2.7 bronco w/ 1600 mi. After the vehicle would sit for a day or overnight the brake pedal would be very heavy on startup and I had to push the pedal really hard to arrest creeping in reverse. I could also feel the brake pedal push against my foot and move up. I would get various brake error message and a pre-collision system unavailable error. After "rebooting" the car a couple times the error would go away. Took it to the dealership to have it looked at today. I've had the vehicle for a month.

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Bronco,76bronco,73bronco,06F250,96F250,97F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a similar issue with my 4dr 2.7 bronco w/ 1600 mi. After the vehicle would sit for a day or overnight the brake pedal would be very heavy on startup and I had to push the pedal really hard to arrest creeping in reverse. I could also feel the brake pedal push against my foot and move up. I would get various brake error message and a pre-collision system unavailable error. After "rebooting" the car a couple times the error would go away. Took it to the dealership to have it looked at today. I've had the vehicle for a month.
Any updates on this I feel I have a similar issue. Upon start up seems I have to be on the brakes hard to prevent moving. Once when I was leaving my parents house I pushed the pedal it was super soft and no brakes then all of a sudden they hammered on.
Only had error codes one time at start up before putting into gear. A restart they went away. My local dealer is terrible or I would have taken it in.

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

" Arvin commented that the proposed parking brake systems are not designed to provide emergency brake (vehicle stopping capability) service and would need to be substantially upgraded in order to provide an emergency brake function. In response, NHTSA notes that it is not requiring that the parking brake system provide an emergency brake function. At 49 CFR Part 571.3, “emergency brake” is defined as: a “mechanism designed to stop a motor vehicle after a failure of the service brake system.” The brake performance standards for hydraulic and electric brake vehicles, FMVSS Nos. 105 and 135, do not require vehicles to be equipped with an emergency brake, primarily because the service brake system is required to function with a variety of failed components. The parking brake system on hydraulically-braked vehicles has never been required to provide an emergency brake function. "

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...tandards-hydraulic-and-electric-brake-systems

Surprising. I've used the emergency brakes more than once in other vehicles because of blown break lines or other failures. Always thought it was a requirement. I find it to be the primary back-up that didn't require a whole lot of thought when seconds determine a relatively safe stop versus a dangerous one. Rather, it's natural to ebrake if I lose the primary brake control. Maybe that's simply training, idk. Never had a vehicle without an emergency brake pedal that I can recall.

It seems as though there have been a couple of non-failsafe examples presented in this thread. Guessing firmware failure. Would be nice if Ford had some comments on that failure mode.

Do the brakes still operate if there is a complete power loss? I'd presume yes. Very confusing to me.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Learned this when I was first learning to drive. It's something worth practicing in each car that you own so it becomes more natural in an emergency.
If the car starts accelerating or you lose brakes:
  1. put the transmission into neutral
  2. engage the emergency brake
  3. continue to steer and control the vehicle.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Parking brake/emergency brake….

Several posted that (whichever it’s called) it will not function when the vehicle is in motion.

I just tried mine at 20, 30, 40 and 45 MPH and it does stop the vehicle. You must hold it “out”. If you release the “lever” the brakes go off.

It’s not a wheel lock-up stop or an anti-lock stop, and not violent. It does stop the vehicle however in a very controlled manner. I would not hesitate to use it at a high speed.

If your’s does not stop the vehicle I would take it in to Ford.
Sponsored