Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay y'all, when was the last time you broke out a scale to weigh all your items before loading up your vehicle to go camping with your family for a few days? Oh, never? Guess what, you don't have to start now. Just don't be idiotic and load it up like the Beverly Hillbillies and you will be fine. If you're towing a camper, it probably can't be anything much over 2800-2900Lbs when you account for gear inside the camper so you don't go crazy on the tongue weight.
Sponsored

First Name
evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, mustang, audi s5
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
GVWR QA.png

View attachment 78360

Accompanying article:

Today Ford released the highly anticipated gross vehicle weight ratings for the upcoming 2021 Bronco. The data table provided by Ford (link) addresses some of the questions posed by reservation holders and enthusiasts over the last several weeks.

It is important to note that Ford derives these calculations for Bronco using an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard which provides a level playing field. The SAE standard, “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” is known as J2807.

For example, SAE J2807 requires the manufacturer to use a vehicle equipped with options found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles produced for that model. It also factors in the equivalent of a 150-pound driver and passenger and a full tank of fuel.

When looking at the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Product Information available from FCA, you will see in the fine print, that Wrangler’s towing capacities are not derived using J2807. One obvious example is the use of one 150-pound passenger instead of two underscoring the difference in approach.

screen-shot-2021-01-13-at-4-10-45-pm-jpg.jpg

Let’s look at a real–life example to further illustrate. You and your family are going camping in your 4-Door Black Diamond Bronco. Assuming you are a 200 lb. driver, with a 130 lb. spouse, and two kids with a combined weight of 170 lbs, that’s a total of 500 lbs. Lets add in another 150 lbs. of luggage and gear along with a trendy 50 lbs, Yeti cooler you are now at 700 of your 1,161 leaving you a margin of 461 lbs.

Keep in mind that each modification like a light bar, bike rack, or roof top carrier, or added cargo eats away at your payload margin if it falls below the threshold of being a popular option on 33% or more of the models. If you are pulling a trailer, the tongue weight of the trailer is also added to this calculation. Typically, a good rule of thumb is 10% of the trailer weight is the approximate tongue (e.g. trailer hitch) weight. When properly equipped, a Bronco can two up to 3500 lbs, or 350 lbs of tongue weight reducing your 461 lbs to 111 lbs.

While these calculations done at home before your adventure are not particularly challenging, the math for manufactures is far more complex which ignited the debate online when Ford gave customers access to Build and Price.

It is important to keep in mind that when Ford calculates max payload, they have to account for the full capacity of the vehicle. This includes up to 4 passengers at 150 lbs for a 2 door and five passengers and their cargo (77 lbs), plus factory options. Unfortunately, most build and price sites lack the dynamic ability to account for each of these variables in real-time. For instance in the build and price tool Ford does not know how many passengers you’ll be carrying so it assumes the maximum and subtracts this from the GVWR.

BRONCO VS. WRANGLER

For comparison, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler max payload for 4-door models ranges from 1,136 (Sport 3.0L Diesel) -1,351 lbs (3.6L Manual) – depending on configuration – while the Bronco ranges from 924 lbs (First Edition) – 1,452 lbs (Big Bend 2.3L Manual). Please keep in mind that these numbers are driven by how the vehicle is equipped. More standard equipment, the higher the curb weight.

DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS:
Below are definitions and descriptions for some of these important calculations. We’ve also provided a link to all the data by series and will be providing towing details in an upcoming article.​
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the Base Curb Weight plus actual Cargo Weight plus passengers. It is important to remember that GVW is not a limit or specification – it is the actual weight that is obtained when the fully-loaded vehicle is driven onto a scale.​
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the fully-loaded vehicle (including passengers and cargo). This number – along with other weight limits, as well as tire, rim size and inflation pressure data – is shown on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label, located on the left front door lock facing or the door latch post pillar. The GVW must never exceed the GVWR.​
Gross Axle Weight (GAW) is the total weight placed on each axle (front and rear). To determine the Gross Axle Weights for your vehicle and trailer combination, take your loaded vehicle and trailer to a scale. With the trailer attached, place the front wheels of the vehicle on the scale to get the front GAW. For rear GAW, weigh the towing vehicle with trailer attached, but with just the four wheels of the vehicle on the scale. Subtracting front GAW from that amount gives you rear GAW.​
Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight to be carried by a single axle (front or rear). These numbers are also shown on the Safety Compliance Certification Label. The total load on each axle must never exceed its GAWR.​
clearly, we all need to eat less.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I went to submit my build order to the dealer last week, I couldn’t add the roof rack to my 4 door, badlands/2.7/auto, non Sasquatch, can I order it after delivery? do anyone know why?
1. Yes. There is nothing stopping you from ordering it from the parts dept later and attaching it.

2. The order banks aren't actually open, so when they do open, and your dealer goes to input your order, there *may* be options/combinations available that you and they aren't aware of yet..... that said, I wouldn't count on the roof rack on the 2.7 being one of those because Ford has explicitly said its a GVWR issue.

Seralan

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 2500HD, Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be surprised if any Bronco has a higher RTI score than it's JL equivilent. You give up some flex for ride quality and road manners with IFS.
What I should have said is that for is quoting high RTI numbers and will not be willing to sacrifice them.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At the end of the day these are all just suggestions.... right? Like we're sure we can load way more than what Ford is suggesting, just drive more carefully? How does current Jeep owners get around it?
I wouldn't call these "suggestions". It's more like the speed limit. It is enforceable under certain circumstances, but an officer is highly unlikely to pull you over for being 3-5 mph over.

Sponsored

alexraw

Outer Banks
First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco / Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have to satisfy both GCWR and GVWR, and which one governs depends on how much you're towing. This is assuming you're trying to stay legal of course.

For your example I'm going to assume that you are at the max curb weight for 2.3L auto as listed in the spec sheets: CW=5150lbs, GVWR=6040lbs, TC=3500lbs, GCWR=8780lbs

At 3500lbs towed, 8780-5105-3500=175lbs available payload. This is governed by GCWR since you're at your max tow cap, but you can double-check GVWR too. Assuming 10% tongue weight, 5105+350+175=5630lbs < 6040lbs so you're okay.

At 3000lbs towed, 8780-5105-3000=675lbs available payload based on GVWR, but let's check GVWR. 5105+300+675=6080lbs > 6040lbs so you're over on your GVWR by 40lbs. By inspection the available payload will be 675-40=635lbs, but the actual equation is 6040-5105-300=635lbs.

Knowing that GCWR governs at a little over 3000lbs towed weight, the available payload above 3000lbs towed is calculated using the GCWR equation, and below is calculated using the GVWR equation. Punch in the weight of your jetskis on their trailer and you'll get your availabke payload. If someone with excel skills (@jaruss01) feels like it, they could graph these towed weight and payload gainst each other using both equations, and then cut off each at the max GCWR and GVWR.
thank you very much for the breakdown. I forgot to include I plan to go with a 2.7 but I can use your formula above and add the extra weight of the 2.7. Jetski plus the trailer fuel gear ect should not exceed 1500 combined weight.

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Need more details on MY22 roof rack changes
Exactly another reason why this can’t be late availability? This makes no sense.

Woodwalker

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldn't tell you if it is a lot or not BUT, sleeping bags are ~4 lbs, propane tank ~30lbs, stove ~30lbs, etc etc. Now you need to figure out how to pack all of that stuff.
Thats why I'm building an overland trailer. You can tow more than you can carry

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GVWR QA.png

View attachment 78360

Accompanying article:

Today Ford released the highly anticipated gross vehicle weight ratings for the upcoming 2021 Bronco. The data table provided by Ford (link) addresses some of the questions posed by reservation holders and enthusiasts over the last several weeks.

It is important to note that Ford derives these calculations for Bronco using an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard which provides a level playing field. The SAE standard, “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” is known as J2807.

For example, SAE J2807 requires the manufacturer to use a vehicle equipped with options found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles produced for that model. It also factors in the equivalent of a 150-pound driver and passenger and a full tank of fuel.

When looking at the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Product Information available from FCA, you will see in the fine print, that Wrangler’s towing capacities are not derived using J2807. One obvious example is the use of one 150-pound passenger instead of two underscoring the difference in approach.

screen-shot-2021-01-13-at-4-10-45-pm-jpg.jpg

Let’s look at a real–life example to further illustrate. You and your family are going camping in your 4-Door Black Diamond Bronco. Assuming you are a 200 lb. driver, with a 130 lb. spouse, and two kids with a combined weight of 170 lbs, that’s a total of 500 lbs. Lets add in another 150 lbs. of luggage and gear along with a trendy 50 lbs, Yeti cooler you are now at 700 of your 1,161 leaving you a margin of 461 lbs.

Keep in mind that each modification like a light bar, bike rack, or roof top carrier, or added cargo eats away at your payload margin if it falls below the threshold of being a popular option on 33% or more of the models. If you are pulling a trailer, the tongue weight of the trailer is also added to this calculation. Typically, a good rule of thumb is 10% of the trailer weight is the approximate tongue (e.g. trailer hitch) weight. When properly equipped, a Bronco can two up to 3500 lbs, or 350 lbs of tongue weight reducing your 461 lbs to 111 lbs.

While these calculations done at home before your adventure are not particularly challenging, the math for manufactures is far more complex which ignited the debate online when Ford gave customers access to Build and Price.

It is important to keep in mind that when Ford calculates max payload, they have to account for the full capacity of the vehicle. This includes up to 4 passengers at 150 lbs for a 2 door and five passengers and their cargo (77 lbs), plus factory options. Unfortunately, most build and price sites lack the dynamic ability to account for each of these variables in real-time. For instance in the build and price tool Ford does not know how many passengers you’ll be carrying so it assumes the maximum and subtracts this from the GVWR.

BRONCO VS. WRANGLER

For comparison, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler max payload for 4-door models ranges from 1,136 (Sport 3.0L Diesel) -1,351 lbs (3.6L Manual) – depending on configuration – while the Bronco ranges from 924 lbs (First Edition) – 1,452 lbs (Big Bend 2.3L Manual). Please keep in mind that these numbers are driven by how the vehicle is equipped. More standard equipment, the higher the curb weight.

DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS:
Below are definitions and descriptions for some of these important calculations. We’ve also provided a link to all the data by series and will be providing towing details in an upcoming article.​
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the Base Curb Weight plus actual Cargo Weight plus passengers. It is important to remember that GVW is not a limit or specification – it is the actual weight that is obtained when the fully-loaded vehicle is driven onto a scale.​
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the fully-loaded vehicle (including passengers and cargo). This number – along with other weight limits, as well as tire, rim size and inflation pressure data – is shown on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label, located on the left front door lock facing or the door latch post pillar. The GVW must never exceed the GVWR.​
Gross Axle Weight (GAW) is the total weight placed on each axle (front and rear). To determine the Gross Axle Weights for your vehicle and trailer combination, take your loaded vehicle and trailer to a scale. With the trailer attached, place the front wheels of the vehicle on the scale to get the front GAW. For rear GAW, weigh the towing vehicle with trailer attached, but with just the four wheels of the vehicle on the scale. Subtracting front GAW from that amount gives you rear GAW.​
Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight to be carried by a single axle (front or rear). These numbers are also shown on the Safety Compliance Certification Label. The total load on each axle must never exceed its GAWR.​
To me this is of no consequence. I'll just order the roof rack, take it home and install it. Same goes for the aftermarket winch, lights, and any other items I want to add. I'm not paying Ford $180/hr to install when I can do the same for free. And my union boss (my wife ? ) doesn't give a rip about GVWR, and couldn't tell you what it stands for.

When I bought my 2015 JK, it didn't include a roof rack, so it's not like this is unprecedented, but I definitely want one on the Bronco.

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
clearly, we all need to eat less.
I know, right?! I mentioned awhile back that I haven't weighed 150 since I was a Private in the Army, and someone came back and told me he and his wife were well within the combined weight of 300lbs. I thought, "man, I'm fatter than I thought!" ? Oh well, I need to shed some pounds. But 150? No, I'll be lucky to see 185.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to mostly be using this for overlanding and this is a little concerning. I think many of the rooftop tents are over 110lbs.
Are you going to drive around while sleeping in your tent? It’s 450 not moving lol.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

highrez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you going to drive around while sleeping in your tent? It’s 450 not moving lol.
? 110 is the dynamic rating and I was referring to most tents being over 110 pounds. Not sure how you made this leap to the 450 rating which I never referenced.
Sponsored