Consensus on GVWR and payload?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
True, but it's not far off from some off-road focused full size trucks. The payload of a Raptor is only about 1000 lbs.
Thats dependent on the year and cab size for the Raptor though. 1st gen Raptor had I think as high as 1700lb payload at some point, and the 1000lb payload for 2020 is on supercab. Super crew is 1200lbs payload(also 8k tow cap super crew vs 6k tow cap on super cab). And being the higher output motor could be more to do with that than the off-road bits, the raptors engine is available in the limited now(so not off-road oriented, just the same high output engine) and tows less and less payload than most of the other f150 engines(less payload than even the 2 engines it has higher tow cap than). And that’s similar to some other trucks, same engine in different trims/models can actually be rated to tow more with a less hp version of that engine. Payloads only 300 more in the limited with the high output 3.5 vs the Raptor supercrew.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cmeyers186

First Edition
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It's a significant enough of an issue that you can't even add a tow hitch to a 4dr squatch

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats dependent on the year and cab size for the Raptor though. 1st gen Raptor had I think as high as 1700lb payload at some point, and the 1000lb payload for 2020 is on supercab. Super crew is 1200lbs payload(also 8k tow cap super crew vs 6k tow cap on super cab). And being the higher output motor could be more to do with that than the off-road bits, the raptors engine is available in the limited now(so not off-road oriented, just the same high output engine) and tows less and less payload than most of the other f150 engines(less payload than even the 2 engines it has higher tow cap than). And that’s similar to some other trucks, same engine in different trims/models can actually be rated to tow more with a less hp version of that engine. Payloads only 300 more in the limited with the high output 3.5 vs the Raptor supercrew.
I was going off 2020 supercrew. 1200lbs is advertised. Real life Raptors with options are close to 1000 lbs. TFL tested a loaded one against the TRX recently that had a payload under 1000 lbs. Either way, not much for a full size truck. These vehicles (Bronco, Raptor, Wrangler) aren't designed to haul a bunch of weight. For 95% of what people use them for, they're fine. Most JK/JK set up for over landing are over GVWR. You modify to make up for it. Technically not legal but who's checking.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was going off 2020 supercrew. 1200lbs is advertised. Real life Raptors with options are close to 1000 lbs. TFL tested a loaded one against the TRX recently that had a payload under 1000 lbs. Either way, not much for a full size truck. These vehicles (Bronco, Raptor, Wrangler) aren't designed to haul a bunch of weight. For 95% of what people use them for, they're fine. Most JK/JK set up for over landing are over GVWR. You modify to make up for it. Technically not legal but who's checking.
Fair enough, but as I said, the engine for the Raptor has as much to do with it as the off road orientation. Even without the off-road bits it doesn’t increase by much at all with the same engine. Not saying the off-road doesn’t affect it, but trying to compare bronco to Raptor you gotta account for the engine as well, the 2.7 in the f150 has 1000lbs higher payload rating than the limited with the high output 3.5 engine from the Raptor.

Sponsored

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fair enough, but as I said, the engine for the Raptor has as much to do with it as the off road orientation. Even without the off-road bits it doesn’t increase by much at all with the same engine. Not saying the off-road doesn’t affect it, but trying to compare bronco to Raptor you gotta account for the engine as well, the 2.7 in the f150 has 1000lbs higher payload rating than the limited with the high output 3.5 engine from the Raptor.
True but the 3.5 doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the 2.7. I have 2019 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 3.5 and my payload is 1848 lbs. Higher than any 2.7 withought the max payload package.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
OK, lets not be snitches to the payload police. End of the day some of us will overload it or even pull a trailer over 3500 lbs/350 tongue weight, and some of us won't. Who cares? Not my problem what you do or don't do with your build...

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just wish one of the trims (ahem looking at you OBX) that isn’t built purely for crawling could trade-off some off-road articulation for the option of adding towing capability. I would pay for that package. If I knew it was coming I would wait.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just wish one of the trims (ahem looking at you OBX) that isn’t built purely for crawling could trade-off some off-road articulation for the option of adding towing capability. I would pay for that package. If I knew it was coming I would wait.
Even the trims below outerbanks seem like good trims for an actual tow package. Without squatch they, like the outerbanks, have the lesser off-road oriented stock suspensions, and smallest tires(base even smaller than the rest). Ford already changes the suspension with the squatch package, why not put stiffer suspension(and maybe a rear sway bar) in a towing package? If they locked towing to the obx I’d still be out though, no manual trans option. Yes, I want a decent tow package and manual trans. If I have to go auto I’ll go to a different vehicle with higher tow cap than bronco will ever match, and get a manual bronco mall crawler in a few years(and yes without a decent tow cap my bronco will be a mall crawler).

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Even the trims below outerbanks seem like good trims for an actual tow package. Without squatch they, like the outerbanks, have the lesser off-road oriented stock suspensions, and smallest tires(base even smaller than the rest). Ford already changes the suspension with the squatch package, why not put stiffer suspension(and maybe a rear sway bar) in a towing package? If they locked towing to the obx I’d still be out though, no manual trans option. Yes, I want a decent tow package and manual trans. If I have to go auto I’ll go to a different vehicle with higher tow cap than bronco will ever match
That's it right there ??
FomoCo do you have your ears on?

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford would have just based their trims off of capabilities like this instead of focusing on their 'customer experience ppt presentations' , 'edgy' names and vinyl stickers there would be a lot less confusion, more true differentiating choices between trims and I would argue, just as much profit for Ford.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've configured those 2 options together many times.
Me too, it’s actually a must for me. The ones that gets me is when I try to add roof rails or protection film it wants me to remove the Squatch package. This leaves me shaking my head lol
My build is a BD, 2.7, Squatch, Hardtop/soft top, mid package, block heater, and tow package.

Chris S

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla '18 M3 Perf & '22 MY Perf, '19 MX-5 Club,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's frustrating for sure. At this point I'm likely to jump ship to a Rivian R1T. It's less than a $10K price differential (after tax credit) fully loaded, will be much nicer inside, near zero maint. cost, and has plenty of payload and towing capacity.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's frustrating for sure. At this point I'm likely to jump ship to a Rivian R1T. It's less than a $10K price differential (after tax credit) fully loaded, will be much nicer inside, near zero maint. cost, and has plenty of payload and towing capacity.
Not to mention tank turn. Hopefully.
Sponsored