Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've had the same thoughts about OBX. I think you have your tire sizes wrong. A 275/65R18 is still a 32" tire, its just .5" wider in most makes and the aspect ratio is a little shorter than the stock OBX 255/70R18. A 275/70R18 will give you a 33" tire, a half inch wider, according to my research.
I do mostly beach sand driving, and you usually need a minimum 65 or 70 aspect ratio to be high enough (rubber not hit rim) to safely air down to the 15-20 lbs most beaches require (Cape Cod & Cape Hatteras National Seashore, eg).

I may upgrade to the 275/70R18 or similar, assuming the car can handle the extra 20# per tire and for on the stock 18" rims.
Thanks for catching! Yes, 275/70/R18 is the size tire for an OBX. Itā€™s 33.2ā€ so almost half an inch bigger than 32.7ā€ badlands but 0.4ā€ narrower. Iā€™ll correct my orig post if I can.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for catching! Yes, 275/70/R18 is the size tire for an OBX. Itā€™s 33.2ā€ so almost half an inch bigger than 32.7ā€ badlands but 0.4ā€ narrower. Iā€™ll correct my orig post if I can.
I get the numbers mixed up frequently. The rim measurement on the stock tires is 7.5", and the rim measurement on the 275/70R18 tires is 8", so at some point as i go up in size a larger wheel is recommended. Haven't talked to the tire guy yet . . . We don't even have the car yet, do we!

Beachcrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I get the numbers mixed up frequently. The rim measurement on the stock tires is 7.5", and the rim measurement on the 275/70R18 tires is 8", so at some point as i go up in size a larger wheel is recommended. Haven't talked to the tire guy yet . . . We don't even have the car yet, do we!
Exactly right, lol. I know there is some flexibility going up in tire width without Increasing the width of the rim. On the f150forum I read that Goodyear recommends 275/70r18 as the biggest Duratrac to mount on a 18/7.5 inch rim. Like you, Iā€™d run this by my tire guy as well. Iā€˜m also a little leery of the D vs C load and how it will affect the ride, since I havenā€™t ridden in one to see how it rides with the Cs. All musings at this point in time.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Exactly right, lol. I know there is some flexibility going up in tire width without Increasing the width of the rim. On the f150forum I read that Goodyear recommends 275/70r18 as the biggest Duratrac to mount on a 18/7.5 inch rim. Like you, Iā€™d run this by my tire guy as well. Iā€˜m also a little leery of the D vs C load and how it will affect the ride, since I havenā€™t ridden in one to see how it rides with the Cs. All musings at this point in time.
You confirmed what I once heard, that one increase in size would be okay on a given wheel. I had LT, E rated tires on a previous Excursion, and they were bouncy & noisy, but so was everything with that tough, dinosaur suspension! My concern is a tire that can handle regular air-downs. Perhaps the A/T tires will be made for that? I have Michelin M/S P-rated 275/65R18 tires on my F150, and that model tire has a wider 9" tread, while as you noted the LT tires tend to have a narrower tread than corresponding P tires. P or LT?

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The blue on the grab handles and AC adjustment switches is going to be so easy to cover with vinyl or simply replace. The blue stitching on the roast seats is a little odd but it'll be hardly noticeable once the other pieces are changed. I can appreciate that each trim level has a color or "theme", some are clearly better than others.
Sponsored