First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t think I could describe how upset I am. No vehicle especially a 2023 with less than 3k miles should have an engine problem. Makes me wish I would have never sold my 2015 Ford F150 FX4, it never had a problem. This is the cold start rattle that I’ve read on multiple forums. I can’t imagine keeping a vehicle where they are going to have to take the motor out and fix it 🤦‍♂️ Taking it in next week. Just wow. See attached video.
Sponsored

WillRCTID

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Prius, 1973 F100, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, can phasers. Take it to the dealership. Warranty will take care of it. Waiting on bolts for mine with the same issue.

dr.frank1320

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW I3, F150, '89 XJ, Nissan Figaro & F100CV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I second that. Sounds like my F150 when I had the same problem. However, it to 17k miles to start making the noise. Take it back to Ford.

OP
OP
4LifeBronco

4LifeBronco

Badlands
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I second that. Sounds like my F150 when I had the same problem. However, it to 17k miles to start making the noise. Take it back to Ford.
Was your F150 a V6 Turbo? Mine was a V8 wish my Bronco was a V8 🤤

dr.frank1320

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was your F150 a V6 Turbo? Mine was a V8 wish my Bronco was a V8 🤤
It is a 3.5l, which is pretty similar to a 2.7l. I like it better than the 5.0, it's a pulling beast! Ford had a bad batch of phasers at the end on '17 and early '18. The locking pin on the cam gear that engages when the motor is shut of would stick in unlock position, So when the truck was started one of the cams did a happy dance until the oil pressure came up. On a good note, I haven't had any problems in the last 40k miles. Here's a video of what is most likely going on:

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. I have a post somewhere from 2021-2022 range about this. Very common issue with Ford EcoBoost engines in general across the entire Ford/Lincoln line up.

They'll take your engine out and fix it outside the vehicle - took 4 days to get mine back. Ford was nice enough to leave a bunch of grounds and stuff loose, so double check what you can.

The good news is my 2.7 felt like it had 50 more HP after the cam phasers were fixed. Not even sure how or why that would be possible..

dr.frank1320

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They'll take your engine out and fix it outside the vehicle - took 4 days to get mine back. Ford was nice enough to leave a bunch of grounds and stuff loose, so double check what you can.
They had my F150 for 2 weeks and I'm about 99% certain the dealership swapped out one of my turbos to do a 'warranty job' on something they took in on trade. The turbo was abnormally noisy when I picked the truck up and it blew up 2 weeks later. It was funny, when I called them they'd seemed to be expecting me and already had a rental car... I hate dealerships. Half-assed work doesn't surprise me.

OP
OP
4LifeBronco

4LifeBronco

Badlands
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright gents help me out here? I don’t know if I have a leg to stand on, but Ford is saying they cannot put the latest cam phasers in (Intake Phaser- ML3Z-6256-A Exhaust Phaser- ML3Z-6C525-A) but the old outdated (L1MZ6256C and L1MZ6C525C) My local Ford dealer is saying that for legal reasons if they put in the non-recommended part that they could be held liable for fixing the engine even passed warranty. Has anyone been able to get the new cam phasers installed? I think I need to contact corporate. Thoughts? TY 👊🏼

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Alright gents help me out here? I don’t know if I have a leg to stand on, but Ford is saying they cannot put the latest cam phasers in (Intake Phaser- ML3Z-6256-A Exhaust Phaser- ML3Z-6C525-A) but the old outdated (L1MZ6256C and L1MZ6C525C) My local Ford dealer is saying that for legal reasons if they put in the non-recommended part that they could be held liable for fixing the engine even passed warranty. Has anyone been able to get the new cam phasers installed? I think I need to contact corporate. Thoughts? TY 👊🏼
L1MZ-6C525-C and L1MZ-6256-C are the newest numbers available for the Bronco. Not sure where you got the other numbers, but they aren't correct part numbers. Your dealership is correct.

OP
OP
4LifeBronco

4LifeBronco

Badlands
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Ford Motor Company can you help out here? Would love to hear your input. Thank you

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company can you help out here? Would love to hear your input. Thank you
There is nothing Ford is going to do about this. You have the incorrect numbers.

ML3Z-6256-A and ML3Z-6C525-A = phaser part numbers for a 3.5 ecoboost, NOT the 2.7 ecoboost in the Bronco

OP
OP
4LifeBronco

4LifeBronco

Badlands
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is nothing Ford is going to do about this. You have the incorrect numbers.

ML3Z-6256-A and ML3Z-6C525-A = phaser part numbers for a 3.5 ecoboost, NOT the 2.7 ecoboost in the Bronco
You are correct, thank you. Do you know if there are Cam phasers for the 2.7 that have the cover like the ML3Z part? That isn’t so susceptible to breaking? TY

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are correct, thank you. Do you know if there are Cam phasers for the 2.7 that have the cover like the ML3Z part? That isn’t so susceptible to breaking? TY
That I don’t know, but either way the L1MZ-6C525-C and L1MZ-6256-C are the only phasers for a 2.7 Bronco.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
WOW, Just had the cam phasers in my 2018 Raptor repaired 2 weeks ago under the 5yr/60K power train warranty. Dealership had updated parts and said these will not fail. So disappointed to hear that Ford is still having the infamous cam phaser issue after YEARS of failure. Replacement is fairly involved including removing the cab (F-150) to access the engine. Found broken clips, engine wires left hanging and not clipped back into place, headlight trim clips broken/missing and jammed back into place. Just general sloppiness. Diesel rattle on start-up is now gone (yay) but to still be having this issue after 5+ years on the Ecoboost engines should be really embarrassing (not too mention costly for Ford). Am planning on keeping my new Bronco for 10+ yrs, guess I' ll be purchasing an extended power train warranty...

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

WOW, Just had the cam phasers in my 2018 Raptor repaired 2 weeks ago under the 5yr/60K power train warranty. Dealership had updated parts and said these will not fail. So disappointed to hear that Ford is still having the infamous cam phaser issue after YEARS of failure. Replacement is fairly involved including removing the cab (F-150) to access the engine. Found broken clips, engine wires left hanging and not clipped back into place, headlight trim clips broken/missing and jammed back into place. Just general sloppiness. Diesel rattle on start-up is now gone (yay) but to still be having this issue after 5+ years on the Ecoboost engines should be really embarrassing (not too mention costly for Ford). Am planning on keeping my new Bronco for 10+ yrs, guess I' ll be purchasing an extended power train warranty...
They pulled the cab just to do phasers?? Yikes.. talk about doing more work than required, that’s crazy.
Sponsored