First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They pulled the cab just to do phasers?? Yikes.. talk about doing more work than required, that’s crazy.
Yes Sir, apparently that’s SOP on the F-150. Dealer said they’ve done so many didn’t have to have Ford corp. approval b4 starting repairs. Only have 40k miles on my Raptor and my power train warranty expires 6/20/2023, would have been really upset if I’d missed my warranty window and had o pay $5k+ for repair of a known engineering defect not caused by me…
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes Sir, apparently that’s SOP on the F-150. Dealer said they’ve done so many didn’t have to have Ford corp. approval b4 starting repairs. Only have 40k miles on my Raptor and my power train warranty expires 6/20/2023, would have been really upset if I’d missed my warranty window and had o pay $5k+ for repair of a known engineering defect not caused by me…
I’ve done a lot of phasers in my life, pulling the cab is certainly not SOP lol but to each their own. Just seems like a lot of extra work. Either way, glad you got it taken care of.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good to hear that, and agreed, I’m very fortunate to have gotten them replaced in last month of 5yr/60K pt warranty. Planning on trading it/selling when my new bronco arrives.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t think I could describe how upset I am. No vehicle especially a 2023 with less than 3k miles should have an engine problem. Makes me wish I would have never sold my 2015 Ford F150 FX4, it never had a problem. This is the cold start rattle that I’ve read on multiple forums. I can’t imagine keeping a vehicle where they are going to have to take the motor out and fix it 🤦‍♂️ Taking it in next week. Just wow. See attached video.
I just found this 6g forum after web searching this issue so I'm sorry if this should be it's own post....

I am so worried and need some of you wrenchers that know whats up with this dual cam 2.7 to give me some straight talk.

My late 2022 BD High SAS with 5,800 miles just started with this noise on cold start yesterday morning. The racket lasts for about 5 seconds and then is gone and cannot be reproduced. This morning and again late in the day, (attached video) the knocking happened again on cold start. Vehicle runs and rides perfectly otherwise with everything in spec and shows no errors or indicators. Issue has not presented itself after stops with vehicle idle or inactive for less than two hours.

Service appointment is on the 3rd which is the earliest convenient time I can get it down the hill to the city. The dealer service department told me it would be in for a few days. (?!?!) I am considering towing down to them (dealer refused to come get it*) but not sure what to do until then or if its worth the trouble to tow. Should I even be starting this truck at all with that sound?

I am sweating bullets about my rig. This bronc is having a five second fit sounding like I'm turning over a old tractor the last two mornings but ford service calls and messages have told me that it was fine if it was just "noise related" during cold start. Really!??!?! Is that a serious answer?

PLEASE! Someone who knows this engine please tell me what the facts are on this problem. Am I looking at a rebuild? am i doing damage by starting it? This is troubelsome for such a low milage vehicle. should I just cut my losses and part ways with this beautiful but lame steed? I love this wagon but I don't feel like I have all the facts and I am nervous!

OP
OP
4LifeBronco

4LifeBronco

Badlands
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just found this 6g forum after web searching this issue so I'm sorry if this should be it's own post....

I am so worried and need some of you wrenchers that know whats up with this dual cam 2.7 to give me some straight talk.

My late 2022 BD High SAS with 5,800 miles just started with this noise on cold start yesterday morning. The racket lasts for about 5 seconds and then is gone and cannot be reproduced. This morning and again late in the day, (attached video) the knocking happened again on cold start. Vehicle runs and rides perfectly otherwise with everything in spec and shows no errors or indicators. Issue has not presented itself after stops with vehicle idle or inactive for less than two hours.

Service appointment is on the 3rd which is the earliest convenient time I can get it down the hill to the city. The dealer service department told me it would be in for a few days. (?!?!) I am considering towing down to them (dealer refused to come get it*) but not sure what to do until then or if its worth the trouble to tow. Should I even be starting this truck at all with that sound?

I am sweating bullets about my rig. This bronc is having a five second fit sounding like I'm turning over a old tractor the last two mornings but ford service calls and messages have told me that it was fine if it was just "noise related" during cold start. Really!??!?! Is that a serious answer?

PLEASE! Someone who knows this engine please tell me what the facts are on this problem. Am I looking at a rebuild? am i doing damage by starting it? This is troubelsome for such a low milage vehicle. should I just cut my losses and part ways with this beautiful but lame steed? I love this wagon but I don't feel like I have all the facts and I am nervous!

I’m glad you commented on this because I’ve been meaning to let everyone know the outcome of my vehicle.
First off that sound you are hearing is the cam phasers. I wouldn’t sweat it, get it fixed but don’t freak out. It’s drivable and only happens on cold starts.

So unfortunately the 2.7L cam phasers haven’t been updated like the 3.5 so when you do get the vehicle in to Ford all they will do is replace the cam phasers w the same parts. Call your local dealer and ask to speak with the manager they towed my vehicle and once they diagnose the vehicle that give me a rental car. But I also had a recall on my car so that might have helped. The one where the lug nuts need to be tightened, which is a no drive recall so they are legally required to tow it.

If you can’t seem to get anywhere with your dealership ie not being very helpful or rude just reach out to the Ford account on the Forum, they will create a case and once you get them involved the local dealership tends to play nice.

My Bronco took two weeks to fix only because they were waiting for one gasket that took a while to ship to them. But once they received that it took a day or two to complete. My dealership wasn’t communicating well and I didn’t know when that part would come in so thats when I had corporate get involved and create a case number for me I then connected with the service manager and he got things going. But yeah I was w/out my baby for two weeks…

Best of luck everything will be alright 🤙 let me know if you have any questions.

Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m glad you commented on this because I’ve been meaning to let everyone know the outcome of my vehicle.
First off that sound you are hearing is the cam phasers. I wouldn’t sweat it, get it fixed but don’t freak out. It’s drivable and only happens on cold starts.

So unfortunately the 2.7L cam phasers haven’t been updated like the 3.5 so when you do get the vehicle in to Ford all they will do is replace the cam phasers w the same parts. Call your local dealer and ask to speak with the manager they towed my vehicle and once they diagnose the vehicle that give me a rental car. But I also had a recall on my car so that might have helped. The one where the lug nuts need to be tightened, which is a no drive recall so they are legally required to tow it.

If you can’t seem to get anywhere with your dealership ie not being very helpful or rude just reach out to the Ford account on the Forum, they will create a case and once you get them involved the local dealership tends to play nice.

My Bronco took two weeks to fix only because they were waiting for one gasket that took a while to ship to them. But once they received that it took a day or two to complete. My dealership wasn’t communicating well and I didn’t know when that part would come in so thats when I had corporate get involved and create a case number for me I then connected with the service manager and he got things going. But yeah I was w/out my baby for two weeks…

Best of luck everything will be alright 🤙 let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your insight and experience with this issue.

I'm pretty disappointed that such a problem is occurring after just 5000 miles. I enjoy the heck out of this truck but this has me very concerned about ford's quality control.

Charles Miller

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2023 Ford Bronco! I'm in the same boat, just started this morning. I'll post both videos. One is when it's warm, the other is a cold start. I first thought it ran out of oil, but it was fine. I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

On top of that, my front left shock makes a lot of noise too, but the service center couldn't recreate the sound. Duh. It happens on the trail in four-wheel-drive, while turning tightly.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2023 Ford Bronco! I'm in the same boat, just started this morning. I'll post both videos. One is when it's warm, the other is a cold start. I first thought it ran out of oil, but it was fine. I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

On top of that, my front left shock makes a lot of noise too, but the service center couldn't recreate the sound. Duh. It happens on the trail in four-wheel-drive, while turning tightly.

Hello, Charles! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

Charles Miller

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The service center just called and said they do hear the noise I described during a cold start. However, (in the service persons own words) Ford is saying that it's normal. How is a new noise after 6,000 miles, after a cold start, normal?

Does Ford recommend a different service center? The string of posts on this topic shows that I'm not the only one with this issue. This is a $70,000+ vehicle vehicle that sounds like it's from the 70’s when started cold.

Please help.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The service center just called and said they do hear the noise I described during a cold start. However, (in the service persons own words) Ford is saying that it's normal. How is a new noise after 6,000 miles, after a cold start, normal?

Does Ford recommend a different service center? The string of posts on this topic shows that I'm not the only one with this issue. This is a $70,000+ vehicle vehicle that sounds like it's from the 70’s when started cold.

Please help.
If they’re saying it’s normal I would run away from that place because they’re clueless. Find a better dealership.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is the second dealer in my area I've gone to. :(
That’s ridiculous. This has been a super common issue for years not only on broncos. I don’t understand how they can tell you it’s normal.

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you contact Ford as they requested a few posts back. I’d start there if you haven’t. Worth a try 🤷‍♂️

shervin

Wildtrak
First Name
Shervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My 2022 hit 8k last week. A couple of days ago the same thing happened. It’s disappointing that Ford hasn’t fixed this known issue. It's really unacceptable to have your engine opened up below even 10k! Especially for a car in these price ranges. They are happy to take your money but not willing to invest in fixing known issues like this. Sorry a bit too sad about what happened, I guess. 🙂

USSCajun

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 BD, Sas, 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Makes me reconsider the order I’ve placed for a Wildtrack. My 4Runner is perfect, had three fifth gen’s and never once in the shop. For anything. Seriously reconsidering my order.
Sponsored