First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X4, BMW 840, Chevy Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for this thread, a different suggestion from a lot of other material posted, and it all makes good sense. Last week my MY23 arrived with the cavity for the sub included (sub delete). It would be a shame to let that space go to waste. Planning my speaker upgrade, but would like any suggestions you all have. I don't generally listen to heavy bass music, nor require it, but I do like balanced sound. OP would suggest option #4. If I take this route I'll upgrade the 4" speakers now and update the sub later when I have more time. Interested to know if the 6.5" in rear pods would add much value if I do the sub in the long run... or should just save my money and upgrade 4" in front and rear.

Option 1) low $ - 4" in front and rear pods (likely kicker)
Option 2) $$ - 4" in front, 6.5" in rear with larger pods (SSV or Mabett)
Option 3) $$$ - Above with kicker key 200.4 (I've heard amp may be needed to drive the 6.5" in rear)
Option 4) $$$ (and more time) - OP suggestion, 4" kicker in front and rear pods, 500.1 key amp, 8" woofer
Option 5) $$$$ - 4" front, 6.5" rear (larger pods), kicker key 200.4, kicker key 500.1, 8" woofer

Also, I've read mixed reviews on upgrading the kick panels, some say helped, some say no/limited impact. Thoughts?
I have the blank space also. Is the wiring at least there? I'm wanting to do something. Do you still have to use the FORSCAN to get things working back there correctly also?
Sponsored

mtnbiker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bike Commuter - twin six
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the blank space also. Is the wiring at least there? I'm wanting to do something. Do you still have to use the FORSCAN to get things working back there correctly also?
I haven't opened it up yet but expect I'll need to wire it - Power from battery and tap into the kick panel speakers for signal. And expect Forscan will be needed. Based on what others have said, its just a non functioning amp, non functioning speaker. At least the cavity is there to put something in.

Last edited:

jrbreeland

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a '23 with sub delete so I have the wiring in the back. Has anybody tapped that signal wire for the 500.1 or is the front kick panel the best way to do it?
Also for those who tapped the kick panel, are you using a line level adapter or just cutting off the RCA tips that came with the Kicker 500.1?

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have what may be a silly question, Why KICKER?
Up here in Canuckland Kicker is not highly regarded.

jrbreeland

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have what may be a silly question, Why KICKER?
Up here in Canuckland Kicker is not highly regarded.
It was tiny and what others were using. Just need a little power since sub is an 8”.

Sponsored

Jspencer61

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2022 F150 Tremor 1968 Mustang 1l
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, I just went and got the stinger tailgate sub not realizing I had the sub in the rear panel lol. About to order the 8 in kicker sub and 500.1 amp. Do I need wiring or anything special or can I just plug into existing? Trying to find answer and got a bit confused.
Did anyone ever answer your question? I'm looking for the same info

JPBronco23

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did anyone ever answer your question? I'm looking for the same info
No, but I ended up returning the setup and getting something similar to the stinger kit that mounts on the tailgate. Was a much better sound and less rattle. Regardless you need a wiring kit. Kicker sells one that has all the wires you need. The dummy wiring and amp that in the broncos apparently has no purpose so you can’t reuse them.

Jspencer61

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2022 F150 Tremor 1968 Mustang 1l
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No, but I ended up returning the setup and getting something similar to the stinger kit that mounts on the tailgate. Was a much better sound and less rattle.
Where did you get the speaker inputs from on the stinger?

GPBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, but I ended up returning the setup and getting something similar to the stinger kit that mounts on the tailgate. Was a much better sound and less rattle. Regardless you need a wiring kit. Kicker sells one that has all the wires you need. The dummy wiring and amp that in the broncos apparently has no purpose so you can’t reuse them.
If you have a '23 with the dummy amp and speaker, the wiring does work, you just need to turn it on using Forscan. I installed the Ford Focus amp and the Kicker 6.75 sub and I'm happy with the setup.

JPBronco23

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you have a '23 with the dummy amp and speaker, the wiring does work, you just need to turn it on using Forscan. I installed the Ford Focus amp and the Kicker 6.75 sub and I'm happy with the setup.
Nice. Searched everywhere to see how to go about it but couldn’t figure it out. Glad to know it was usable. What wires did you have to tap?

Sponsored

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just swapped out the 6.75 kicker 2 0hm sub that I originally installed for the 4 ohm model and it does make a difference. Plenty of base (for my taste) and not as booming sounding as the 2 ohm. Who knew???

GPBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice. Searched everywhere to see how to go about it but couldn’t figure it out. Glad to know it was usable. What wires did you have to tap?
You don't have to tap any wires. You can use the plug from the dummy amp directly into the focus amp. For the Kicker speaker, you just snip the connector off and the Kicker speaker has wire pinchers to hold them. Use Forscan to turn on the power to the amp and that is it.

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 23MY with delete. I installed the fusion amp along with the kicker 6.75 4ohm. I also replace all the 4 inch speakers with focal acx 100. I installed it all at once and rode around for a few weeks without the sub turned on. The speakers focal speakers sound pretty good. I turned it on the sub last night and honestly it sounds like crap lol. Im no expert on this stuff so I don’t know the lingo. But It’s less thumpy like I was expecting and more hollow/drony sounding. Like it’s trying to almost play the audio more than it is just providing bass. I’m not good at explaining this. Not sure if I did something wrong or not. Messing with the tone settings doesn’t seem to help.

I used to have an early build 23MY that came with the factory sub and that was a lot better than what I have now. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 23MY with delete. I installed the fusion amp along with the kicker 6.75 4ohm. I also replace all the 4 inch speakers with focal acx 100. I installed it all at once and rode around for a few weeks without the sub turned on. The speakers focal speakers sound pretty good. I turned it on the sub last night and honestly it sounds like crap lol. Im no expert on this stuff so I don’t know the lingo. But It’s less thumpy like I was expecting and more hollow/drony sounding. Like it’s trying to almost play the audio more than it is just providing bass. I’m not good at explaining this. Not sure if I did something wrong or not. Messing with the tone settings doesn’t seem to help.

I used to have an early build 23MY that came with the factory sub and that was a lot better than what I have now. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Given that it's all pre-installed wiring and such (and assuming you used that since you have the "Fusion" amp) there's not much to get wrong except - maybe - reversing the polarity on the last-mile wiring from the amp output to the Kicker sub inputs? Can't think of much else.

Bronccat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands, 76 Bronco, 95 Bronco (SOLD)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands