First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently embarked on a project to upgrade the audio system in my 2023 Bronco Badlands. The stock stere is pretty awful so this was high on my priority list.

A bit about my audio background – I grew up in the 90s and developed a love from music which translated to a passion for high end car stereo. My first real stereo build was in my FD RX7 with a PPI Pro-650, MB Quart Components and JL 10W6 in the trunk. I am still rocking the same PPI Pro-650 with Focal component and a JL sub in my Mazda 6. (The RX-7 now have a JL 10TW3, JL HD amp and C5 components)

I originally planned a somewhat basic build with a stand-alone DSP and a JL HD 900/5 amp that I had in my Jeep. As I started researching and collecting components, the system continued to evolve (and cost more):

Fronts – Focal K2 3-way components
Rear – JL Audio C5-650 (overkill but I already own them)
Sub – JL 10TW3 shallow mount sub
Amps: Audison Forza AF M5.11 – Running Front woofers, Mids & Sub
Audison SR4.300.2 - Running Tweeters and Rear fill

Amp Mounting – My goal for mounting the amps was to find a place that would be safe from water, should the interior get rained on or I decide to ford some deep water (It’s a Bronco thing). This was one of the driving factors that made the Audison package attractive. My original thought was to mount the amps under the rear seat but once I figured out I could fit them under the dash, it was a no-brainer. I designed a clever mounting system that utilizes factory points, keeping the amps tucked nicely up under the dash.

AF5.11 Mount, uses all factory mounting points without any modifications to the vehicle:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9255
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9292
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9282

SR4.300 mounts on top of the AF5.11. I was able to leave what should be enough space so things stay cool.
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9286

The mid and tweeter placement in the dash presented another challenge. I crafted a non-traditional metal mount, which allowed me to slightly overlap the speakers. This required some trimming of the dash but left both mounting screws in tact. I was also able to use the factory speaker covers, giving it a factory look.
Cad Design:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9201

Brackets:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9256

Installed:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9285

The woofers were easy, I opted to make my own spacers out of 5/8” birch plywood. I could have purchased plastic spacers but it was just as easy to make a pair.
Woofer Spacer:

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9279

Installed:

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9288
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9297

Subwoofer mounting – I waffled over two locations for the sub – the factory location in the cargo area or tailgate mounted. The factory location was definitely more tricky but this gave me a much more factory look and wouldn’t lose cargo space. This made the decision pretty easy for me - factory location. I used a combination of ¾ MDO plywood and fiberglass. I started out making the face to locate the speaker and worked from there. Once I had a portion made with plywood, I mounted it to the chassis through the factory mounts. I then applied a layer of masking tape over everything, then a layer of ¼” carpet pad and another layer of masking tape.

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9269

I laid up two layers of fiberglass to get the basic shape. Once dry, I removed and put 3 more layers on the outside of the box and also attached the face with screws and fiberglass. Overall, the box turned out great from a functional standpoint.

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9276
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9277

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9278

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9313

Sub Cover - The bronco comes with a factory 8” subwoofer in the same area but I had to shift the TW3 further back so it didn’t line up with the factory hole. This caused me to get creative in my cover design.

Material:
½” MDO Plywood
Diamond Grill material – Plastic
Carbon look Marine grade vinyl

The basic shape:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9305

Test fitment:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9308

Making it perfectly contour to the factory panel via Body Filler:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9316
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9315

I used threaded inserts for all mounting points;
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9319

Weldwood Landau Contact adhesive to attach vinyl:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9323

Final Wrapping (was not easy)
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9326
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9325

Overall, I am very happy with how the cover came out.
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9330
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9328

Wiring: Wiring was kept pretty streamlined due to the convenient location of the amps. I was able to pre-assemble the harnesses using Tesa tape, which gave a very factory look. I ran 16 gauge for the woofer and mid and 18 gauge for the tweeter. The sub has 12 gauge running to the back.
Front harness:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9284

For power, my main power wire is 2 gauge which reduces to 4 gauge for the 5.11 and 8 gauge for the 4300, all through a single fuse block mounted on factory studs under the dash.
Fuse Bracket:
Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9257

Installed:

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! IMG_9296

Once I had everything installed, now came the nerve racking part…. Tuning the DSP. It is important to note that this was my first venture into the DSP world. I know Audison doesn’t have the best reputation on here but the new Forza Bit series caught my attention. I watched their setup/tuning videos on YouTube and also played with the software and it seemed pretty intuitive.

I used the setup wizard to get everything close enough to start. Within the wizard, it walks you through setting up time delays, Cross-Over points and check polarity. My input signal was pretty flat since I used ForScan to turn off any EQ settings coming from the vehicle. It took me about 2-3 hours to do the initial tune. At this time, I had the system sounding pretty good but wanted to give my ears some rest. After a couple days of listening to the stereo, I went back for another fine tuning session and I have to say, it improved a ton over the initial tune.

My NOVICE review of Audisons software is that it is very easy to use and I am extremely happy with how it currently sounds.

Final Thoughts: This was more challenging of a project than I originally expected but I am extremely happy with how everything turned out. It is by far the best car stereo I have installed and probably one of the cleanest installs to date. The project allowed me to use a just about every skill in my arsenal, Metal Working, Wiring, Woodworking, Fiberglassing and Computer tuning.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very clean install with a ton of attention to detail and effort to make it look stock. Well done.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks amazing! Apparently everyone who drives a Bronco (except for me) is either a welder, fabricator, or "master-of-the-3d-printer".
Or all three! That is some incredible fabrication, especially the speaker cover. Brilliant design. Kudos to you OP.

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DUDE! I'm looking a the JL Stealthbox trying to justify that price... maybe you should start a side gig making those custom sub boxes! I bet I'd save a few dollars if you were fabricating them...

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is exactly what happens when someone has too much time on their hands….looks killer btw!

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mad skills. Love the fiberglass sub box.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DUDE! I'm looking a the JL Stealthbox trying to justify that price... maybe you should start a side gig making those custom sub boxes! I bet I'd save a few dollars if you were fabricating them...
DON'T DO THE STEATH BOX! I did and it sucked bad. Returned it and have 2 10's in a custom box. Worst $1300 bucks I ever spent.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome build! Amazing how you built that box for the back too man, super cool! It pays to know how to do all that stuff for sure. I had a local stereo shop do mine, total nightmare to the point the district manager for Custom Sounds contacted me and redid my entire system.

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DON'T DO THE STEATH BOX! I did and it sucked bad. Returned it and have 2 10's in a custom box. Worst $1300 bucks I ever spent.
i have a 2D and can’t afford to lose space with a tailgate box, so factory stealth area is my only choice. You’re saying you fit two tens in there?

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i have a 2D and can’t afford to lose space with a tailgate box, so factory stealth area is my only choice. You’re saying you fit two tens in there?
No, I went ahead and had a box built for the back unfortunately. I am just saying that JL Stealthbox isn't worth the money, you can do a lot of stuff for $1300 bones, sounded like crap.

JL does make an 8W3 in a small slim box that doesn't take up really any space and really booms for an 8. It's a ported box and will shock the hell outta you how good it sounds.

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! System 1

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks good, I over estimated the amount of space and stupidly got a 12Tw3, oh well, maybe someday I’ll switch it up. Def harder to fabricate boxes without working in a shop anymore. Work looks nice and clean by the way.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, I went ahead and had a box built for the back unfortunately. I am just saying that JL Stealthbox isn't worth the money, you can do a lot of stuff for $1300 bones, sounded like crap.

JL does make an 8W3 in a small slim box that doesn't take up really any space and really booms for an 8. It's a ported box and will shock the hell outta you how good it sounds.

Ford Bronco 2023 Badlands Stereo Build, Focal, JL Audio, Audison - Lots of fabrication! System 1
What are the stats on those…marine speakers? JL something?

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks great! Wish I could hear how it sounded.

Looks amazing! Apparently everyone who drives a Bronco (except for me) is either a welder, fabricator, or "master-of-the-3d-printer".
Welding is not so tough, it's welding good that is an acquired skill. Luckily the Allmighty blessed people like me with grinders.
Sponsored