4everbored

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope Ford doesn't kill the towing specs with the manual transmission like jeep did.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The don't make a chickenburger they make a chicken sandwich. Chickenburger would be a party made of half ground beef half ground chicken.

That actually sounds delicious, I am open to investors. :cool:

RookieMissSteak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep GC, 2021 Jeep JTR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That actually sounds delicious, I am open to investors. :cool:
Just goes to show, it’s all in how you look at it. A chicken and beef burger can be either a disgusting franken—burger or a fine medley of meats, lol.

A Bronco or Jeep truck is not perfect at off-roading or truck stuff, but can do both good enough for most.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted above about the compromises of the design and the fact a lot of Gladiator owners echo that.
But there are also a lot of Gladiator owners who are absolutely thrilled with it.

And yeah, my opinion is it can/will do MOST of what I would need either for as well (should the Gladiator itself be my choice in the end, a BL Bronco, or a Bronco-truck, either way I'd be happy).

Here is a link to a FB video I posted in another thread about travelling mostly offroad across the country. In a Gladiator towing a trailer, loaded with gear.
They went places I would love to go, did some offroading I wouldn't want to (specific pass where they had to actually stack rocks on a cliffside to make the lane wide enough to travel across).
(3) Watch | Facebook
Perfect rock crawler?
Nope.
Perfect hauler?
Nope.
Good enough at both to be useful 99.999% of the time for 95% of what people would use it for (medium-duty hauler with decent offroad chops while without roof and doors)?
Definitely.

Ford, show us what you can do with the design and let us decide.
As mentioned, tackle as much as you can (with the limitations of the design) on what the competition doesn't do well, and you'll sell tons of them.

Put some Fox 2.5's on it, 35's stock factory capable, front and rear lockers, gusseted frame reinforcements from the rear of the cab back...it would be legendary.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

However, something is to be said about a doors-off & Top-off offroad capable vehicle that has a small bed. Overlanding crowds love them, and for my desires in a utility off-roader, it checks some boxes.
But for camping/overlanding/ tooling around intermediate-challenging off road, it fits the bill.
You can throw a lot of gear in the back of the bed and it's easy to get to, more so than a Bronco or Wrangler.

Bronco purists will hate it and always make fun of those who choose it, much like the Jeep community. You have no lack of hate on the Gladiator in that bunch, from the die-hard "only Jeep is a 2 door Jeep" crowd.

But times change, markets change, public desires change.
A Ranger or F150 is a more capable truck to be a truck.
A Bronco is more than likely going to be a more capable off-road machine.

Ford is gonna have to find that sweet spot with form vs function and deliver something that looks good and has acceptable capabilities in all areas for this to be a homerun.

The market is there, the desire is there. Learn from the things the Gladiator falls short in and offer something better, and people will buy it up.
I agree with most of what you wrote, Dave. My problem with the Gladiator is that it is too damn long. The addition of the short bed to the 4-dr Wrangler seems like an afterthought. Eliminate the rear passenger compartment, but keeping the bed would suit me.

The Bronco purists shouldn't be outraged as the U14 is part of the original heritage. The shade that is thrown is always about the door count. No matter how practical it may be, the Moar Door doesn't look right. If Ford would draw inspiration from the U14 while also addressing the competing market that the Gladiator occupies, I think it would be a home run for many of the reasons that you alluded to above.

I saw the J6 2-dr concept this morning, and it strikes me as being exactly what Ford should target (with obvious Bronco styling).

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with most of what you wrote, Dave. My problem with the Gladiator is that it is too damn long. The addition of the short bed to the 4-dr Wrangler seems like an afterthought. Eliminate the rear passenger compartment, but keeping the bed would suit me.

The Bronco purists shouldn't be outraged as the U14 is part of the original heritage. The shade that is thrown is always about the door count. No matter how practical it may be, the Moar Door doesn't look right. If Ford would draw inspiration from the U14 while also addressing the competing market that the Gladiator occupies, I think it would be a home run for many of the reasons that you alluded to above.

I saw the J6 2-dr concept this morning, and it strikes me as being exactly what Ford should target (with obvious Bronco styling).
Fair enough and valid points.
Always respect a good, respectful debate! :LOL:
4 doors give you just that bit more of capacity, which is what some are after.
However:
After clicking that link, that's back to basics good styling there and I'd be happy with ford following suit.
Even though we know they won't (probably) just due to the demand of the market now shying away from 2 door-only trucks.
There is a pretty big market for those as well.
A lot of people just want two doors, basic stuff for features, and a bed to haul some stuff in.
Some good examples are
-fleet type vehicles for auto parts stores,
-Farmers who don't haul people and don't tow 8k lbs,
-probably a hundred more segments that I could name but it would be generalizing to do so.

I had a '93 Ranger single cab 2.3 5 speed and it was perfect for commuting, hauling some stuff when I needed to, easy to drive and park, good economy for a truck. I loved that thing and you couldn't kill it if you tried (and I did a lot of the time).

But once I got my first quad cab truck, I loved that too.

I've also had, at most points in my life, a single cab truck to do truck stuff with, and usually it is a pre-1980 Chevy or Ford. Owned several dozen of them through the years.
Two of my favorites have been my 78 C10 with the 383 and 4 speed, and my 71 F100 with the 300 6 cyl and auto.

Both gone to new homes, but something simple and great about them both have me always looking for that "old truck" for sale out there.

And I miss MY truck.
WE have a truck, a '19 Z71. IT's too nice to do most of what I use a truck for.
I would like to have one for me, to take camping, fishing, overlanding, trail riding, and put muddy stuff, dirty stuff, whatever I wanted to in the bed and not worry about it.

To be able to have that capacity again along with open air is perfect.
That's why my mind keeps gravitating back to the Gladiator as a backup plan.
It's not perfect, and honestly I'm not a big fan of the styling. Not a fanboy by any stretch.
That's mostly what has me hoping Ford does something great here.

But the Bronco style is going to be a difficult one to pull off in a truck format and it come out looking good.

I'm afraid it is going to come out looking like the Gladiator, like they took a 4dr BL and chopped it off behind the doors, added a truck bed as a obscene add-on growth that doesn't flow well with the design.

And honestly, I don't see much of a way around that look, sadly.
But I'm hoping anyway!

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can't predict how well a bronco pickup would sell but for me, the main reason I would compromise on the rock crawling ability and the truck ability is to have one vehicle. That is a big deal, mainly due to cost but also parking limitations.

I use my truck bed maybe once or twice per month. Many of those uses could be accomplished in the back of an SUV but it's the occasional lumber or moving large items like furniture that the bigger truck bed helps.

My current truck is 4 wheel drive, has 35" tires and is capable of going off road (easy trails). What would differentiate a bronco pickup from the current truck offerings (for me) are the doors/roof off features.

If they made a bronco variant that had a tailgate instead of a swingout door, that might even be enough of a "truck" to get by (with back seats folded down and top off). The spare tire might make it hard to close but I could deal with that.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

The J6 concept is pretty cool. But the problem with a 2 seater is its a very small niche market. It would be good for single people, couples with no kids, or people looking to buy a second fun vehicle. Not a daily driver/adventure vehicle.

People who buy Gladiators and that would be interested in a Bronco based truck are more than likely families that want a capable daily driver that can handle some utility duties and also take the family on fun adventures. Load up the camping gear, tow a boat or camper, etc.

As far as the length as-is with a single cab?? Have you seen some of rhe renderings done. It looks ridiculous and way out of proportion.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

The J6 is nice enough that I think it deserves another picture of it on this Bronco forum.
Ford Bronco 2023 Bronco Pickup Rendering download.jpeg-1

Last edited:

Sponsored

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If Ford is considering building a Bronco pickup they should consider building it as a regular cab or extended cab reminiscent of the 80's and 90's Ranger. They already have many offerings in a crew cab with tiny bed configuration and perhaps some buyers would value more useable bed space over the extra seats that may never be used.
Ford Bronco 2023 Bronco Pickup Rendering Bronco Truck

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford is considering building a Bronco pickup they should consider building it as a regular cab or extended cab reminiscent of the 80's and 90's Ranger. They already have many offerings in a crew cab with tiny bed configuration and perhaps some buyers would value more useable bed space over the extra seats that may never be used.
Ford Bronco 2023 Bronco Pickup Rendering Bronco Truck
Nice.
That looks mysteriously reminiscent of a Chevy Luv, which is not a bad thing when you consider the rare 4WD version of those was a pretty small, stocky, go-any-dang-where kind of vehicle.

And FWIW, I'd buy that rendering today if it was available.
Not sure if you found it somewhere or did it yourself, but looks pretty tough.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nice.
That looks mysteriously reminiscent of a Chevy Luv, which is not a bad thing when you consider the rare 4WD version of those was a pretty small, stocky, go-any-dang-where kind of vehicle.

And FWIW, I'd buy that rendering today if it was available.
Not sure if you found it somewhere or did it yourself, but looks pretty tough.
Oh ya, I forgot about the Chevy Luv truck. I had regular cab short bed S10's. An '86, '88, and still have my '94 ZR2.

I did the sketch this morning based off a sketch of the 4 door Bronco. It's the same premise that the Mopar designers came up with for the J6. Build a versatile small pickup truck off the 4 door bronco platform.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there really room for a Ranger, Bronco truck, and a Maverick in Ford's lineup? Seems like they would all steal sales from one another.
Like Steve Jobs said, better to steal sales from yourself than to allow your competitors to do it.

Shabakuza

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 STi // 2018 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

God that manages to be even uglier that the Jeep Gladiator