HItman84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know this topic has been brought up before but I'm curious if opinions have changed at all since the advanced 4x4 basically isn't available on the majority of 2024 trims unless you get SAS.

I ordered an OBX last week and since I really have no intentions of any offroad except maybe some light dirt trails the only "off road" option i added was the rear diff locker. Since then I've continued to research and read, realizing there's no advanced 4x4 option unless you add SAS or jump up to Badlands.

I live in Southern New England and curious how big of a deal 4A is in snowy weather.
For Context my ordered OBX spec would be 1k more with SAS then Badlands without.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO in Southern NE you'll be fine w/o 4A but I'd look at replacing the OBX OEM tires w/ a good AT tire.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was also stuck between an OBX and Badlands. With only a difference of $1k I think it just comes down to what other options you prefer. Interior color, washout floors, sta-bar disconnect, etc. I went non-sas Badlands 2.7L Lux package because I wanted to get everything from the factory that I couldn't add afterwards such as the big screen, 4A, sta-bar disconnect, and adaptive cruise control. 4A may not be totally necessary but it does add some peace of mind when the roads are slippery.

OP
OP

HItman84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well it's a 1k difference if I added SAS to the OBX order. OBX with SAS is 1k more then Badlands without. Originally I had no intentions but now I'm conflicted.
What Jack's the price on the Badlands is the fact Auto is not standard, where it is with OBX.

The disconnect and front locker I don't care about(other then having all the buttons). The bigger tires are nice but easily remedied in any model, I prefer the orange accents in the Badlands. Prefer leather with the power seats but it's not a deal breaker and not worth 2k if I went Badlands.
I basically want an Outer Badlands.
OBX really is the perfect trim for my intentions, it's the missing 4A that has me considering changes.

Dontc4re

Badlands
First Name
Edmond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 area 51Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have and love my badlands non Sasquatch 7 speed. My favorite part is the materials used for the seats. Feels like leather, cleans like rubber . I love the height, any higher and I would have to jump out like a hobbit getting off of a Clydesdale.

Sponsored

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
4 hi/lo will be plenty for slippery roads. Personally I’ve always tried to stay away from 4A available vehicles as I kind of like to be in control of what it’s doing and have an idea of what I can expect by weather and road conditions and attempt to react appropriately. But if you think or feel you will regret it once you don’t have it , then you should spring for the 4A. I have an OBX High Pkg no 4A and I love it. Super quiet inside and most of the bells and whistles that I have grown to love in past vehicles. Very capable off-road. Live in AZ so haven’t had a chance to get it in the snow yet. Don’t regret your decision whatever it may be!!!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm 50. I've never owned a single vehicle with 4A that I know of (one of the Expeditions might have had a 4A setting). I've certainly never used it. Every car I've had (except 1) for the last 35 years has been RWD, or RWD with a 4x4 transfer case.

I'd definitely use a rear locker if I was stuck in sand though.

For snow the biggest upgrade would be to ditch the factory tires. Of course, factory rubber tends to be garbage in general.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
IMO in Southern NE you'll be fine w/o 4A but I'd look at replacing the OBX OEM tires w/ a good AT tire.
This. If you drive into N NE often I’d go 4A. It is a rather basic system, but will buy you more security.

I would also go with dedicated snows. When we get nuked out of staters are sliding all over with their AT tires.

New2This

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well it's a 1k difference if I added SAS to the OBX order. OBX with SAS is 1k more then Badlands without. Originally I had no intentions but now I'm conflicted.
What Jack's the price on the Badlands is the fact Auto is not standard, where it is with OBX.

The disconnect and front locker I don't care about(other then having all the buttons). The bigger tires are nice but easily remedied in any model, I prefer the orange accents in the Badlands. Prefer leather with the power seats but it's not a deal breaker and not worth 2k if I went Badlands.
I basically want an Outer Badlands.
OBX really is the perfect trim for my intentions, it's the missing 4A that has me considering changes.
I have a badlands SAS. I do take mine off road and do some light rock crawling and mudding. I drive in 4A all the time. it doesn't seem to take from my MPG and I noticed a significant performance improvement especially when accelerating into a turn from a stop.

if you live in New England, you will get some snow and 4H could be used if the weather gets bad. 4H plus good tires will get you out of a tight spot. heck, snow tires and 2H is what most sedans have and that is plenty for many places.

Personally, If I was you I'd go with the SAS OBX. it gets you everything you need. only thing you won't have is the stabar disconnect and 4A. You don't need that if you aren't rock crawling.

you get the luxury stuff you want. you get leather seats, and you get the big wheels with bilsteins front and rear lockers. the 35's look awesome and really complete the look of the vehicle. the non SAS badlands looks great too with 33's and is extremely capable you just lose a few luxury items unless you get the LUX trim.

you can swap out the accents in the interior if you want to easily.

I have little kids so I love the MGV interior and washout floors. my kids spill stuff all the time and it wipes up easily. electric seats and leather would be nice for sure though.

I went through the same internal conflict you did. I choose badlands SAS because I wanted to rock crawl and I didn't want to regret not getting the most durable/capable rig I could get (that wasn't 90k and impossible to get [Raptor])

OP
OP

HItman84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a badlands SAS. I do take mine off road and do some light rock crawling and mudding. I drive in 4A all the time. it doesn't seem to take from my MPG and I noticed a significant performance improvement especially when accelerating into a turn from a stop.

if you live in New England, you will get some snow and 4H could be used if the weather gets bad. 4H plus good tires will get you out of a tight spot. heck, snow tires and 2H is what most sedans have and that is plenty for many places.

Personally, If I was you I'd go with the SAS OBX. it gets you everything you need. only thing you won't have is the stabar disconnect and 4A. You don't need that if you aren't rock crawling.

you get the luxury stuff you want. you get leather seats, and you get the big wheels with bilsteins front and rear lockers. the 35's look awesome and really complete the look of the vehicle. the non SAS badlands looks great too with 33's and is extremely capable you just lose a few luxury items unless you get the LUX trim.

you can swap out the accents in the interior if you want to easily.

I have little kids so I love the MGV interior and washout floors. my kids spill stuff all the time and it wipes up easily. electric seats and leather would be nice for sure though.

I went through the same internal conflict you did. I choose badlands SAS because I wanted to rock crawl and I didn't want to regret not getting the most durable/capable rig I could get (that wasn't 90k and impossible to get [Raptor])
SAS will actually get the 4A. And agree on the accents, only thing not easily changed is the blue stitching in the seats.

Sponsored

bkirchhoff

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW: '07 328xi, '13 X1, '75 R90/6, '12 R1200GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the non-SAS Badlands but I was only interested in a manual, so my choice was easier than yours in that sense. If I were ordering an OBX I would opt to SAS it, but I don’t think it’s ever really worth adding SAS to the Badlands, especially with the updated ‘24 configuration that includes the HD steering as standard now.

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford sort of ruined that question for 2024, I would have said Non-sas Badlands, but now, you can't get the 4A transfer case unless you order the SAS. Mine was a Non-sas Badlands, but it came with all the goodies, I did upgrade tires/wheels later, but already had the better transfer case, now Ford has dropped that option in 2024, less you get the SAS package. So, if you desire the 4A, you're gonna have to go with something with the SAS package.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4A is the easy option for a lot of situations. Gravel road going uphill. Rain. Snow. Etc….

If you plan on keeping the truck for some period of time, the $1k is worth it. Otherwise you will wish you had ponied up for it.

OBX is a nice ride imo.

OP
OP

HItman84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford sort of ruined that question for 2024, I would have said Non-sas Badlands, but now, you can't get the 4A transfer case unless you order the SAS. Mine was a Non-sas Badlands, but it came with all the goodies, I did upgrade tires/wheels later, but already had the better transfer case, now Ford has dropped that option in 2024, less you get the SAS package. So, if you desire the 4A, you're gonna have to go with something with the SAS package.
According to the ford builder Badlands still comes with 4A without SAS. Only Badlands and Raptor I believe does it still come standard.
OBX definitely requires SAS

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO 4A is very nice. It's my go to when off road until rock crawling. Also when the wife is driving in inclement weather I don't have to worry about her choosing the right 4x4 mode at the right time. Just touch the 4A and you'll be fine. If I could figure out how to disconnect the sway bar in 4A would be great, can this be done in forscan? Makes for nicer ride with 12PSI. Like a Cadillac! Just my experience. Jim.
Sponsored