First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch 2 Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
FWIW, one of my sons is the sales manager at a Lexus dealership in Oregon. Yesterday he called me from work and said they took in an F-150 in trade. He was aware that it was first gen of that engine. He said he just took it out and it ran perfectly, and that he thought it would be safe to keep my bronco long term. He seemed pretty impressed with it. And he's not a Ford Guy(of course the few times he's driven the Bronco, he hasn't been allowed to wring it out).
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That engine and your engine share displacement but certainly not 100% of parts outside of the oil pan we know is different. And valve keepers. My Bronco is running strong (knock on fake wood trim) at 37,500 miles and it's engine production date is smack in the middle of the sweet spot for dropped valves. I do believe that if I had bad keepers they would have failed by now (keeping fingers crossed but still driving as if I never heard of any problems)

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That engine and your engine share displacement but certainly not 100% of parts outside of the oil pan we know is different. And valve keepers. My Bronco is running strong (knock on fake wood trim) at 37,500 miles and it's engine production date is smack in the middle of the sweet spot for dropped valves. I do believe that if I had bad keepers they would have failed by now (keeping fingers crossed but still driving as if I never heard of any problems)
Yours probably got good valve keepers. Most in that range that were affected died at low mileage (mine at 3900 miles).

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, one of my sons is the sales manager at a Lexus dealership in Oregon. Yesterday he called me from work and said they took in an F-150 in trade. He was aware that it was first gen of that engine. He said he just took it out and it ran perfectly, and that he thought it would be safe to keep my bronco long term. He seemed pretty impressed with it. And he's not a Ford Guy(of course the few times he's driven the Bronco, he hasn't been allowed to wring it out).
My 1st gen 3.5 ecoboost has 250k miles, runs perfectly. My Bronco 2.7 has 82k miles and runs strong.

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 1st gen 3.5 ecoboost has 250k miles, runs perfectly. My Bronco 2.7 has 82k miles and runs strong.
Trouble free, 250k? I suppose it happens occasionally.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Trouble free, 250k? I suppose it happens occasionally.
Unless you want to classify replacement of an exhaust gasket or a water pump as serious engine trouble. I forget the exact cost of the exhaust gasket, but the water pump was $60. I also have had to replace spark plugs, do oil changes, and replace a battery.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It doesn't mean that engine hasn't been repaired/rebuilt/replaced in that 205,000 miles either. I'd bet my lunch the turbos aren't original!
200k is ordinary/expected these days

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It doesn't mean that engine hasn't been repaired/rebuilt/replaced in that 205,000 miles either. I'd bet my lunch the turbos aren't original!
We use F-150s for work and all of them have run for hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles. Of course, we break them in gently and change the oil early and often. When I’m ready for a new truck at about 200,000 miles, I sell them to family members who continue to use them without any issue.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Taking care of a vehicle, doing oil changes and gear oil changes when needed, cleaning them, cleaning and inspecting the undercarriage, driving it easy and not beating on it will usually yield a long lasting engine/vehicle. A little luck helps that the engine or drivetrain has no defects too. I don't typically keep vehicles very long- had a couple with about 85K miles. Never had any major problems fortunately on any of them and they always ran great.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think that’s still the break-in period for a Japanese car. :LOL: