Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition, 2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, not sure what folks are expecting with 35s.
I read somewhere Ford Ecoboost engines are either Eco OR Boost.. not both.. Surprise surprise a 2.5 ton off-road oriented SUV with big ol' wheels is unlikely to be about the 'Eco' lol
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I may offer some scientific soothing to this discussion:

1. A vehicle’s fuel efficiency depends on some key factors such as
- ability of the engine to efficiently convert combustion energy (explosions) to rotational energy (wheels turning)
- factors affecting the ability of the engine such as air resistance, rolling resistance, engine efficiency, driving habits, cleanliness of air intake, condition of ignition source and so on.

2. Focusing on some specifics:
- bigger tires have more rolling resistance (moment of inertia, rubber/road friction factors) which negatively affect mileage
- power equals fuel burned, it doesn’t matter how many cylinders or how big your turbos are, the way you depress the throttle directly affects your mileage. There is a trade-off between rate of acceleration to overcome inertia and have it start working for you, and excessively accelerating (for fun, who doesn’t like to do it?) which consumes more fuel
- Octane rating on fuel in Ecoboost engines will affect mileage and performance, as will the tune. You can tune for economy or for performance. That’s what all the mapping changes do when you select them in your Bronco.

3. On top of all that, there will be minimum mileage standards that the Bronco must achieve in order to be certified. I’m not sure what they are, but they are usually based on tightly-controlled conditions as I’ve never been able to achieve window-sticker mileage claims in real life.

So, basically it’s not the Bronco’s fault if you’re upset with the mileage you get. Expect any vehicle with bigger tires to get worse mileage (keep them inflated properly as low tire pressure makes your mileage worse). And as many have said, if you don’t want what a purpose-built off-roader provides, buy something else and stop complaining about it here. Please!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well this thread went off the rails, a certain someone needs a mod cool down period.

I’m very surprised by the sheer amount of people who are buying a 4X4 with 35” tires and expecting decent MPG. If you do a lot of city driving you are going to hate your life.

If it’s any consolation to anyone though I have a 6.4L Challenger at 4,200 lbs with 315 tires. I average 18.5 MPG between eco, sport and track. It being a toy too means it sees many 0-60, 0-110 runs getting on the highway or at the track, no I don’t do 110 on the highway.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I read somewhere Ford Ecoboost engines are either Eco OR Boost.. not both.. Surprise surprise a 2.5 ton off-road oriented SUV with big ol' wheels is unlikely to be about the 'Eco' lol
I drive my 3.5 F150 in eco mode 99% of the time. If I want to burn fuel, its not with my truck.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To get us back on track, thanks @Dirty Bronco for the write up and pics.
Good line of questions also most of us wouldn't think to ask in the way you did as well.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm also very interested in what the MPG will be but dear lord every time those three letters are put together this place melts down a bit
Just like a big block at 13k rpm.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should probably wait for Ford and the EPA to speak on fuel numbers. You’re losing your shit based on a conversation between 2 guys you don’t know talking shop at a Bronco showing at a dealership.
What did you expect? EPA numbers are taken form a very specific process as well, not very representative or real world use. I would expect you are in the minority of those ordering a lifted, 35" off road specific, niche SUV, that would be upset at sub 20mpg real world mileage, but I am often surprised.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GOODVBZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape, LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This truck is not getting 12 mpg on regular use basis. It would take tremendous effort to get to that number. That being said, appreciate you taking the time to report all the insider info you could glean from that rep.

nickedagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic - Will trade for Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I too was at this event just later in the day.

It was fairly quiet when I got there around 1pm. A few take aways from my conversations....

1. The size and feeling of interior was amazing. Coming from a smaller civic I felt like royalty. In addition feels roomier than the Ranger that is in the driveway as well. Can't tell you how nice/weird everything felt, because they were spraying everything so frequently I'm sure some of the finishes have been altered to a degree with the constant rubbing and wiping. But overall very happy with the interior.

2. Comparing this to my friends Wrangler, inside is like night and day. 10/10 would pick the Bronco over a Wrangler just for the internal space, design, and options.

3. Soft Top/Head Room - I'm 6' and I was shocked by the head room in this. The rep effortlessly flipped the soft top closed for us and I was shocked. It moves so much better than my friends Wrangler soft top. I'm getting a hard top at delivery, but ordering the fastback style top for the summer months. Beyond excited for this set up.

4. the 12" screen - this thing is massive and def makes me jealous I'm only getting the 8". I wish it was an option you could add on separate. Def not needed but it looks like it should be there.

5. Auto Start/Stop - No one really likes this, why is this even a thing... DAMMIT FORD!

6. Navy Leather Seats: I was shocked how much I liked them. Like Pictures don't do it justice. If I was going to OB or higher trim I would have them.

Sponsored

Bradnewt

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was expecting poor fuel economy given the big tires, low gearing, and parachute like aerodynamics. I sure wish the fuel tank was bigger than 16.9 gallons the 2 door holds.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for all of this info!!

How small did the cargo area look?
What was ride height comparable with?
With front seats pushed back, what is Max height to sit comfortably in second row ?

GOODVBZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape, LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some of us really don't care!

My dads Ranger with the 2.3L 4-cylinder is getting 22-24mpg which I assumed the Bronco will get that maybe even a smidge better.
My comment was completely in jest based on earlier posts from this thread lol. Thanks for the write up!
Sponsored