Sponsored

3,600 miles - Should the front axles have this kind of rust already?

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s normal, quit worrying
Sponsored

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the undercarriage parts are going to rust eventually, however these are the only parts I see a significant amount of rust on and it's only been 3,600 miles. Is this normal?
totally normal

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My advice to everyone, never take your truck to New England in the winter.
Haha. Kind of impossible when you live in Maine. You can slow rust down but can't stop it, never buy a used car from up here that has been winter driven.

Sponsored

grenjith7

Badlands
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the undercarriage parts are going to rust eventually, however these are the only parts I see a significant amount of rust on and it's only been 3,600 miles. Is this normal? I've done some light off roading about 3 times otherwise it's all pavement.

Jim

PXL_20211121_143510606.jpg

PXL_20211121_143520631.jpg

PXL_20211121_143530450.jpg

PXL_20211121_143549184.jpg

PXL_20211121_143615660.jpg
Please report to Ford. Call customer service and let them know, so it could get to the axle plant or vendors at some point. Also let the dealer know and ask him 2 make a report. Coating should hold up and you do not want to see rust in the axle housing, half shaft or CV joints. Yes, It is surface rust and true, It wont affect functionality. But functionality is not every thing. Effective anti-rust coating should be applied. When u pay ~50K, it has to be there.
Looks like people needs to start doing like what people in some markets do- they put the vehicle on a hoist and check to ensure a clean underbody before delivery.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having had multiple Toyota/Lexus over the last couple of decades...this isn't bad at all. Those Toyota undercarriages rust as soon as you look at them. Either way I coat them with FluidFilm a couple of times per year and don't worry about it. NBFD.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please report to Ford. Call customer service and let them know, so it could get to the axle plant or vendors at some point. Also let the dealer know and ask him 2 make a report. Coating should hold up and you do not want to see rust in the axle housing, half shaft or CV joints. Yes, It is surface rust and true, It wont affect functionality. But functionality is not every thing. Effective anti-rust coating should be applied. When u pay ~50K, it has to be there.
Looks like people needs to start doing like what people in some markets do- they put the vehicle on a hoist and check to ensure a clean underbody before delivery.
It's normal, it's a $30k vehicle with $20k in options, it isn't a BMW.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh brother. They're not going to waste their time with the uninitiated about cast iron/steel parts underneath a vehicle. They may not laugh at you, but you might hear a chuckle.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haha. Kind of impossible when you live in Maine. You can slow rust down but can't stop it, never buy a used car from up here that has been winter driven.
NE has killed 3 of my vehicles. NFW my Bronco ever sees Maine, et.al. Love Moosehead Lake BTW. Beautiful in the winter.

Sponsored

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the undercarriage parts are going to rust eventually, however these are the only parts I see a significant amount of rust on and it's only been 3,600 miles. Is this normal? I've done some light off roading about 3 times otherwise it's all pavement.

Jim

PXL_20211121_143510606.jpg

PXL_20211121_143520631.jpg

PXL_20211121_143530450.jpg

PXL_20211121_143549184.jpg

PXL_20211121_143615660.jpg
Seen this on the demo models, it's insane. They put a lot of raw iron under these things. The day I picked mine up I crawled underneath and coated all the iron and exposed fasteners with fluid film. If it works I will continue to use it every year. Even though red oxide is technically a protectant , it's ugly and it would have been nice for ford to powder coat all these parts.

grenjith7

Badlands
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh brother. They're not going to waste their time with the uninitiated about cast iron/steel parts underneath a vehicle. They may not laugh at you, but you might hear a chuckle.
No. As I understand these complaints will be taken seriously. It will be looked at. And as a matter of fact, awareness and attention is there.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You mean you don’t lube your brake rotors? 🤪

I saw a guy get WD-40 all over his rotors and pads on his motorcycle at the track one time at a track day (he was a novice) and I managed to get over to his pit with a can of brake cleaner before he went out on track for the first time. Might’ve saved him a trip into the kitty litter…
I was preoccupied with a tire rotation on my old Bronco II when I came around to find my new driver 16 year old WD-40ing the brake rotors, he didn't like the rusted appearance. A little time with some brake cleaner, all good, lesson learned.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was preoccupied with a tire rotation on my old Bronco II when I came around to find my new driver 16 year old WD-40ing the brake rotors, he didn't like the rusted appearance. A little time with some brake cleaner, all good, lesson learned.
I’m surprised how few people my daughters’ age even know how to maintain their mountain bikes. Anything electronic and they’re wizards - anything with the risk of getting some grime under your fingernails - not so much.

In their defence, as they move through their 20s and get out from their moms’ and dads’ nests they are quickly learning the value of money, and how easy it is to save $$$ over time doing your own maintenance. My daughters are getting good on basic maintenance on both their cars and their autos. They’ve even showed their boyfriends a few things, including teaching them to drive manual.

With our protectionist society I figure many young ‘uns simply didn’t learn the way we did - by crashing, falling, breaking things - all the things where you don’t forget the hard lessons learned.

bit o/t - apologies to the OP