First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A steady state speed, 2X higher in comparison requires 4X the power... It doesn't matter if the engine is turning 1300rpm or 4300rpm! The engine needs to make 4X the POWER! And you use to work at NASA?? Lol
Obviously there are more fictional losses with higher RPM, but I digress. 4X power is required, no matter how slow you spin the engine...or how fast.
Can someone from SpaceX chime in here please?? 🤷
I was following you right up until “fictional losses.” I can assure you they are very real…ha. “Frictional losses,” on the other hand, get you every time. Really enjoying you and jasper discussing fluid mechanics, was my favorite class in school about a zillion years ago. Bernoulli would be proud of you two.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let’s say that you have a transmission at it is geared so that at 2,000 rpm you travel at 25mph in one gear and in a higher gear you are at 2,000 rpm but now going 50mph. That is how I am saying the transmission matters. I feel like you are looking at this from one point of view that has little bearing on real world performance (specifically fuel economy).

I also don’t know why you insult my intelligence in every post. That’s pretty low man.

Anyways, have a good one.
I'm just trying to be humourous. Don't take offense...
You have it backwards. I'm looking at it in real world performance... Air resistance... and you're stuck on the singular aspect of the transmission.
Using your transmission rpm example...
In one of your scenarios, is the engine making more or less power than the other? Same rpm would negate higher internal friction from the engine. Good!
You're starting to get it... Regardless, the truck STILL needs 4X the power. Now you're just asking of it at 2000rpm!

Are you saying because the engine is spinning the same rpm, it does NOT need to make 4X the power at the square of the speed??
Regardless if it's an IC engine with a transmission, an electric vehicle, a nuclear powered aircraft carrier or an antimatter powered spaceship (going thru earth's atmosphere)... 4X power is needed, REGARDLESS of how you use that power to drive it.
Enough said... I can dumb it down any further. Sorry.

Sponsored

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hilarious with people posting MPG when they drive 80 and 90MpH 🤷
It probably doesn't matter much to Americans who pay what, $2.75 a gallon and think thats a lot, but you'll need FOUR times more power every time you double your speed...
Doesn't matter if it's 25/50MPH or 100/200MPH.... 4X as much.
Couple things -

This is a 4. With a 6, that number will probably look more like 15 combined. That's more in line with a typical Wrangler Unlimited or Gladiator.

Depending on where you live, if you are commuting on highways 80 mph is a normal and legal speed, and you're likely driving long distances. It's not really practical, if you're in those places, to drive slower as things stand now.

On fuel economy, why is power the relevant measure? Fuel efficiency is the relevant measure. And that relationship is complex. You use more fuel per unit distance to travel faster, for sure, but you also travel further more quickly. So you don't have anything like 4x worse fuel efficiency at 50 than you do at 25, its a few percent.

Also I think the gas prices are a bit out of date. Due to the government-imposed lockdowns and resulting supply chain issues, US gas prices are averaging in the 3's and in high tax states like CA, well into the 4's. Sounds like Spider is in a western state where the logistics issues have hit hardest, so he's probably not in the lower end of the national range.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I audibly laughed at this. $2.75 a gallon? I think I got gas at $4.75 yesterday. I'm just lucky I only buy 3 gallons to fill up. If my Bronco ever gets here, I'm in for a world of pain.
Just filled up for $2.59/gal for regular at Sam’s club in Austin, Tx. Premium was $2.94

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks so much for this. So helpful to see this kind of feedback.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couple things -

This is a 4. With a 6, that number will probably look more like 15 combined. That's more in line with a typical Wrangler Unlimited or Gladiator.

Depending on where you live, if you are commuting on highways 80 mph is a normal and legal speed, and you're likely driving long distances. It's not really practical, if you're in those places, to drive slower as things stand now.

On fuel economy, why is power the relevant measure? Fuel efficiency is the relevant measure. And that relationship is complex. You use more fuel per unit distance to travel faster, for sure, but you also travel further more quickly. So you don't have anything like 4x worse fuel efficiency at 50 than you do at 25, its a few percent.

Also I think the gas prices are a bit out of date. Due to the government-imposed lockdowns and resulting supply chain issues, US gas prices are averaging in the 3's and in high tax states like CA, well into the 4's. Sounds like Spider is in a western state where the logistics issues have hit hardest, so he's probably not in the lower end of the national range.
Air resistance doesn't start to come into play until up over 25MPH, naturally. You're right.
And we're talking differences from say 60mph and 80mph. Clearly not "2X" faster, and so the math is a little more complex.
But when you start talking about distance travelled and time, it's more in the realm of work, not power or efficiency with regards to the calculations. If you're traveling 100 miles and going 10mph, sure... You're using a lot of fuel due to the time involved.
Regardless, the fundamentals of physics prevail. 4X power for 2X the speed.

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just passed 3000 miles on my Big Bend, which is a very basic rig with four cylinder engine and soft top. The good…..excellent road manners, drives incredibly smooth even at 90 plus mph, far superior to my 2016 Wrangler Rubicon, really no comparison. Even without lift or aggressive tires it handled off road in the Colorado mountains extremely well, even through some pretty rough and rocky trails.

The bad….only 18.3 mpg so far, although to be fair much of it is off road or at higher speeds than most (already got first speeding ticket as well) will drive. I am installing tube steps next week, my wife struggles to get in, the grab handles don’t seem to help, she is just five feet even.

The ugly…the soft top is a pain at best. When stowed all of the way, you lose entire visibility through rear mirror. Removed completely it would solve the problem, but then you wouldn’t have the top available. There is a ton of road noise as well as warm air circulating around the cabin. The three removable panels are a real pain to get back in place properly, easily as bad as the Wrangler soft top, which is a similar nightmare as well.

That’s about it, I have a second order confirmation from January, I plan to use it to buy the one I really wanted, which will be a hardtop six cylinder Sasquatch stick. I fully expect to wait until fall of 22 before I get it, and I also fully expect that I will find a buyer for my current Bronco (even with 30 k miles) at the $39 k price I paid.

I am doing the Off Roadeo in Austin next weekend, which should help me figure exactly how to configure my next order. I feel for all of you waiting for delivery, but trust me that you won’t be disappointed!

02275F8F-199E-4ED3-8DCB-352270373040.jpeg
Thanks! Can you help answer a question: with Big Bend stock wheels, if installing the fender delete, will the wheels have a little poke? Or are these tight under the fenders?

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently test drove a BD SASQ with soft top. Not at all what I expected. The soft was up so I can not speak to other configurations, but there was no drama with noise or visibility, none. Most of the drive was approximately 60 mph. Easy conversation noise level.
I concur. I just bought an outer banks with a soft top. I don't think it's super loud, and I keep forgetting I have a plastic back window. I am coming from an F150 with bigger tires, so maybe I'm just used to it, but I'm finding some complaints on this forum to be much ado about nothing.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Could you imagine how many MTs they’d sell if it was available with the 6? I’d personally buy about 10 just for myself. Wife would be super pissed for sure
I bet manuals would be less than 10% of all vehicles ordered. Why do you think corvette dumped. Less than 7% take rate over the entire 6 year model run. While I like a manual it’s a dying breed. My gt350 is one and why I didn’t buy a 500.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My biggest concern is if the "fix" for the MIC is going to address all the issues we've heard. They mentioned it being cosmetic only but nothing about the noise and popping that has been experience by several owners. I have little faith in any these quick turnaround fixes.
Admitting the top is ugly won't get them sued..

Admitting that it leaks and is possibly raining down shards of synthetic carpet fibers for you to inhale while driving down the road? eeeh.. I imagine their lawyers probably told them it wasnt the best idea..
Sponsored