Sponsored

3rd/5th Door

How do you want to see the rear door(s) of the Bronco operate?

• OTHER -- none of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right into IFS I'd guess, leaving no option for those that want the best rock crawler they can get from factory.
That plays into the NVH too, but not in the same wind noise kind of way the body does.

If it makes sense to many of us that they should put a solid axle in the Bronco, hopefully Ford sees that too. I'm certainly of the opinion that Ford is capable of making a solid front end that doesn't have the kind of issues the JL seems to -- but part of that is just consumer perception and unfamiliarity with simpler mechanical steering.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would anyone's opinion on their preferred rear door structure change with the clarification of the Bronco as a midsize?

Does a liftgate sound better on a smaller vehicle?

Do you want hydraulic dampening on the tailgate?

Does it need to open automatically when you tease the hitch with your toes?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I voted for tailgate down with retractable window in the tailgate. I think if the top is removable I'd much rather have the window in the tailgate. That way the top isn't quite as heavy or fragile.

I wouldn't mind a sideways opening tailgate with a retractable window and a tire mount on it. But to me the traditional pickup style tailgate is better for handling longer objects if necessary.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you have the wheel mount mounted to the back corner of the 'bed' as it where like the 78-96 broncos, heavy duty. But the window MUST roll down fullyinto the tailgate. The couple of inches sticking out on the 80-96 broncos was a horrible horrible design flaw. Once I get some other work complete on my 82 to get it back on the road I'm going to cut those couple of inches of glass off and fiberglass in the hole in the cap.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Swing Gates are horrible in parking lots. Why Rav4 went away from their experiment.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what we've seen of the prototypes the "yet to be named rugged off road small utility" looks to be getting a liftgate.

How long has it been since someone built a mechanically separate rear tire carrier that pivoted in a different direction than the rear door?

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The question to me is what does swinggate mean to them? Is that necessarily opening horizontally (as opposed to a 'tailgate' opening down or 'hatch' opening up)?

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Using Ford's own terminology ...

I guess my assumption in the examples about what the EcoSport had back there was off.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

I guess my assumption in the examples about what the EcoSport had back there was off.
So basically it will copy the Wrangler?

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Nice, thanks. Never knew the EcoSport had a horizontal door in the back. That's my preferred option for the Bronco, so I'm happy about this.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmmm. Not loving the frame around the window on the EcoSport. The design for the BroncoBronco could be different, hopefully like the old FSB, but if it's like the EcoSport the idea of a frame means it has to mate up against something. Which would mean a non-removable portion of the roof back there...

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm. Not loving the frame around the window on the EcoSport. The design for the BroncoBronco could be different, hopefully like the old FSB, but if it's like the EcoSport the idea of a frame means it has to mate up against something. Which would mean a non-removable portion of the roof back there...
That's what I thought when I saw that video as well. If the whole rear door including the window swings, then that will mean the roof is not entirely removable and is instead more like the Renegade with little pop-out panels.

That would seem counter to what many of the patents have been suggesting though, not that most of them are worth much in understanding what got approved for the final design.
Sponsored