Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exactly. I want a slow, reliable truck! Someone is finally catching on. I'd rather see a NA V6 with 180hp (that 99 tacoma) than the boosted 4. The fuel economy would probably be the exact same.
I was really hoping for a NA V-6. But, not going to happen. I'm still getting a new Bronco. Power aside, which engine do you guys think will be more reliable?
Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the pentastar 3.6L v6 and I would trade it for the bronco 4. And the pentastar feels amazing. But you gotta love the 4s torque numbers. Things a beast.

65FB

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Considering these 4 bangers are putting out more hp and torque than the v8s of less than 10 yrs ago at considerably less weight I don't see any problem at all. I will be getting a 4 door 4 banger...I'll drive the 65 mustang around when I want to hear the rumble....BTW, my daily driver is a 2014 F150 3.5 ecoboost that I purchased new which has 90K flawless miles...

Last edited:

65FB

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ranger Rover? We're talking about a vehicle half the price....the 4 cylinder ecoboost will be more than sufficient for 75%+ of the average buyers. I swore I'd never buy a V6 turbo to pull my boat and camper but I let a Ford Salesman talk me into a 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab F150...best truck I've ever owned by far.

Last edited:

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bummer. I thought you might explain why the ecoboost V6 isn't offered on the F250s either. It's almost as if they might have limits after all.
The 3.5 EcoBoost isn’t available in the F250. Neither is the 5.0, 2.7, or 3.0. Why? Not because of turbo limits, but because engines have GCWR limits. There’s no point putting in an engine when the engine doesn’t meet the truck’s gross combined weight ratings. Likewise, there’s no point putting a 7.3 or 6.7 TURBO diesel in a truck chassis that is less capable than the engine. Yes everyone needs a big block or their vehicle isn’t going to last - give me a break! ?‍♂

Sponsored

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was really hoping for a NA V-6. But, not going to happen. I'm still getting a new Bronco. Power aside, which engine do you guys think will be more reliable?
I have a naturally aspirated V6 in my Colorado. It’s a piece of shit. It was cheap and does the job. The fuel economy is crap. The sound is crap. It has no torque down low and always sounds and feels like it needs to work hard. The 2.3 in the Ranger is completely the opposite. Spins the rear tires taking off at the lights bites down with lots of low end torque. I don’t get this obsession with V6 “van engines” - Only in America.

65FB

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, I still don't see how comparing a vehicle nearly twice the price is remotely relevant... I've driven the new Ranger and a Mustang with a 2.3 ecoboost and I fully anticipate being completely satisfied with a new 4 banger Bronco.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am going for the 4 cylinder, 4 door as well. Dont worry it has enough power. You can get a tune for it so that you can get 310 hp and 370 ft lbs of torque.
What’s that gonna cost $800 and void that warranty; Versus buy the better engine up front? Would you buy a mustang 6 banger with the plan to tune it to try to match a GT, doesn’t make sense to me.

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have a naturally aspirated V6 in my Colorado. It’s a piece of shit. It was cheap and does the job. The fuel economy is crap. The sound is crap. It has no torque down low and always sounds and feels like it needs to work hard. The 2.3 in the Ranger is completely the opposite. Spins the rear tires taking off at the lights bites down with lots of low end torque. I don’t get this obsession with V6 “van engines” - Only in America.
Really excited for the I4, I love the concept of tuning for more power.

Well, I still don't see how comparing a vehicle nearly twice the price is remotely relevant... I've driven the new Ranger and a Mustang with a 2.3 ecoboost and I fully anticipate being completely satisfied with a new 4 banger Bronco.
Don't get it twisted the AJ-V8 is not a good engine.

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The old 3.5L, 3.9, 4.0, and 4.6 Rover V8 were based on an antiquated Buick engine, but the DOHC 4.4 and 5.0 have nothing to do with GM.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The 4 will hold me over just fine until direct drive electric takes over.
Sponsored