6gBronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new Explorer is actually pretty capable, being based off a RWD platform has a lot of advantages compared to the Volvo car chassis/Taurus/Flex platform my 2018 is based on. That being said, the Explorer we have, will continue to be the daily driven people hauler and "tow rig".(equipped with a "truck like" 5k lb. tow rating. Many people mention how the Bronco tow rating isn't low and if you need more than 3500 lbs., get a truck). It is also very good in snow and has gotten me everywhere I needed to get, within reason and ground clearance/tire limitations.

I completely agree with this, and is why I kind of wish Ford would have kept the Bronco 2-door only. Maybe that would have helped stream line production so we didn't have to wait so long.

Even though every time I think I'm decided on keeping my first choice (2 door), I see new pictures of the 4-door and then I'm not sure again.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If someone was to seriously consider the Explorer that moves them into a very crowded competitive landscape. If they don't bleed Ford blue, there are many alternatives to consider.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The wife loves her Explorer. I worry she will coop my Bronco.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. I have the same question. There are people who say they need the Lux package and never plan to take the Bronco on more than a well graded dirt road. This perfectly describes what an Explorer excels at. There is a purpose for a Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler. I'm guessing if jump on the Wrangler forums to complain about heating steering wheels and adaptive cruise control, you'll get directed to the Grand Cherokee.

Agreed.
How are they different than comparing Wrangler and Grand Cherokee? We are comparing body on frame, open air / removable top lifted vehicles with unibody lowriding car/SUVs made for quiet highway time. Completely different class....and the lux package doesn't change that. Wrangler sells lots of their vehicle with heated steering wheels and adaptive cruise too....

Last edited:

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How are they different than comparing Wrangler and Grand Cherokee? We are comparing body on frame, open air / removable top lifted vehicles with unibody lowriding car/SUVs made for quiet highway time. Completely different class....and the lux package doesn't change that. Wrangler sells lots of their vehicle with heated steering wheels and adaptive cruise too....
I'm not saying the vehicles aren't different. However, there are a lot of people with Wranglers whose vehicle needs are more suited to the Grand Cherokee. I suspect there will be a lot of people who buy Broncos whose needs would be better suited to an Explorer. I know Wrangler owners who have never had the top off or done any offroading beyond the capabilities of all SUVs, but if they still want Wranglers and Broncos, that this their choice.

Sponsored

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really feel bad that people buying the two door Bronco have to suffer through the peasants in their Bronco Sports and 4 door Broncos.

Isn't there an old Econoline that those undesirables could just be happy with?

Ford should just build the two door Bronco with man\V8\SFA in my favorite color combo. I obviously have the best taste and only use case that really matters to Real Men.

I can't believe I have to wait for 'less superior' people that ordered in front of me to get a 4 door Bronco when they clearly would be happier in something else I pick out for them.

Imagine how fast they could pump out Broncos if they focused more on me and less on all ya'll!

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer?
The Bronco is the only 5-seat convertible (aside from the Wrangler) for my 5-person family.

I'll never go rock crawling in my Bronco, but I will take it off-road. The top-off experience is my primary buying factor.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice troll job. I'll try to one-up you:

Two door bronco = lifted ford fiesta.

If you're okay with a teeny little vehicle that doesn't give off a masculine image why not go for the cheaper fiesta that gets better gas mileage?

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Completely different vehicle. If the explorer was still BOF like pre 2013(?) I would say better chance but no. Even with a botched roll out and the Rona explorer is (I think) going to be Fords #2 most sold vehicle. If you had to cut one what would you pick?

Sponsored

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Explorer is a high-roof unibody Taurus so other than general box-like shape they have nothing in common with Broncos. We should be ecstatic Ford is reversing course and bringing out legit body on frame SUVs. Even if they are just going to the mall.
I’m a novice to this type of design discussion, but what it the difference between unibody & body on frame?

does the unibody restrict weight dispersement making the body on frame preferred because of tough/steep angles and stresses on the unibody?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Removable top, doors, manual transmission, Sasquatch/lockers/4.7 gears. Not even close to an explorer

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a novice to this type of design discussion, but what it the difference between unibody & body on frame?

does the unibody restrict weight dispersement making the body on frame preferred because of tough/steep angles and stresses on the unibody?
Body on frame can flex a lot more and the body is put on the frame (usually steel) so a lot heavier generally, but usually a lot more clearance. Unibody is basically the body and frame are all in one less flex but significantly lighter. So basically yes
Sponsored