First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I drove through the snow this morning as well and do not have 4A. I use 4h when the road is icy or there is snow that causes you to fish tail and use 2h for when the road is clear. Also I find the best time to use 4h is when at a complete stop and need more traction to move forward. Otherwise, the rear end likes to move around a lot. But the best thing in winter driving is to leave plenty of space cause 4wd drive does not help you brake any sooner.

Another thing I have found in deeper snow is putting your vehicle into lower gears helps a lot cause the slip or pull you feel is the snow/slush slowing down your wheels not the car slipping. This is true for me in FWD, AWD, and 4WD vehicles.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This ^ just flip on 4H if you need some traction from a stop and then flip back to 2H

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember, your only connection to the ground is through your tires. The best system in the world doesn’t matter if you regularly exceed the traction your tires offer.

Driving on roads is the most dangerous thing we do. Get proper winter tires. They cost about the same as most people’s deductible.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned nothing but Fords, and for the last 30 years, almost every one has had some iteration of the Shift-On-The-Fly 4wd system. From what I was always told, they're designed to do exactly that, as long as your foots not on the gas and there is no load on the drivetrain. I've always shifted into 4H while going down the road, even at 60+mph while off of the throttle. Living in Nebraska, i've probably driven over 150k+ miles on snow/ice/wet roads and have never had a driveline issue.

Also, here is a video from Ford stating the same.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...r-wheel-drive-or-all-wheel-drive-system-work/

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've driven 4wd for 40+ years in the mid west and using 4h on a snowy highway is not a problem and far superior to 2h for sure. I've never had any issues other than fuel mileage being lower. We use to leave our lock outs in year round and go between 2h and 4h by shifting with the transfer case with no issues. As long as you don't lock your diffs(if you have lockers) you'll be fine.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

THE PREVIOUS TWO POSTS, YES

With regular 4wd Remember you can shift at will, at speed in and out of 4H as needed so long as your not spinning a tire. learn where the 2H and 4H buttons are without looking each time. And driving more or less straight for short distances in 4H on dry pavement won't hurt anything. It doesn't take much snow to give the slip needed to avoid binding.

Zero Options

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I live in the Northeast where it is snowy and hilly. My general rule of thumb on road in the snow is if I can see asphalt I’m in 2H, if I can’t see asphalt I’m in 4H. The key to driving in snow is to SLOW DOWN and make smooth control inputs. I don’t have 4A on my Bronco or the F150 I drove prior. I’ve owned AWD (basically 4A) vehicles in the past and I honestly don’t miss it.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How many of you all drive in slippery on the highway? I was always told never go above 45 mph in 4H, but I am assuming that irrelevant with modern tech.
I would suggest not doing that.

superdude12

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have run 4H all the time in the winter for highway driving. For all the people saying it causes issues, can anyone point to an example where leaving it on when the road is slippery (no dry pavement) has caused damage?

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That chart has nothing to do with anything except for the electronic locking differential.
It also lists acceptable speeds for the various GOAT modes...OP was asking

Reactions: R11

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
How many of you all drive in slippery on the highway? I was always told never go above 45 mph in 4H, but I am assuming that irrelevant with modern tech. First snow in MN today, want to make sure I'm not putting any extra stress on my transfer case. Drove to work in 2H and was not fun!
No 4WD allows you to safely go faster than you otherwise would with 2WD. There is a reason why you see so many SUVs in the ditch. Unless you have the Advanced transfer case with 4A, its an ordinary transfer case and fully locked between front and fear. There is no modern tech as far as that is concerned. Like all vehicles 4WD or not you have stability control which uses differential braking to help avoid skids. 4WD without 4A is designed only for off road or slippery conditions. If conditions are good enough to go 45+, 2H is the correct mode. That said there is not a mechanical reason for a 45 MPH limit in 4H as far as I know.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have run 4H all the time in the winter for highway driving. For all the people saying it causes issues, can anyone point to an example where leaving it on when the road is slippery (no dry pavement) has caused damage?
No, its not going to cause issues if the road is slippery, but it doesn't allow you to drive faster than you otherwise would in 2H. If conditions are good enough for 45+, I drive in 2H.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've owned nothing but Fords, and for the last 30 years, almost every one has had some iteration of the Shift-On-The-Fly 4wd system. From what I was always told, they're designed to do exactly that, as long as your foots not on the gas and there is no load on the drivetrain. I've always shifted into 4H while going down the road, even at 60+mph while off of the throttle. Living in Nebraska, i've probably driven over 150k+ miles on snow/ice/wet roads and have never had a driveline issue.

Also, here is a video from Ford stating the same.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...r-wheel-drive-or-all-wheel-drive-system-work/
The referenced video specifically states that ESOF systems should only be switched into 4H in off road or slippery winter conditions.

Zybore

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Like most commuters in less than ideal road conditions you want your GOAT truck to do just that but you did not buy automatic/advanced 4WD. 4H cannot help you as you would like. On the road you must make the judgement on road conditions and only engage it in limited situations and those situations generally also require a slower speed. When road conditions improve you them must return back to 2H because 4H will become a problem in itself and be hard on your truck. Ultimately switching out your current Bronco for one with 4A will make your commuting safer on you and your ride. 2023 builds allow this in most non-sas configurations but for 2024 most of these are dropped so that will not be as easy as it should be.
Sponsored