Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Updated on 2/16/24

Spoke to Richie at 5-Star and he shared pricing and what it takes to custom tune a 2.7L Ford Bronco.

First off, let's talk cost.

SCT Device (Includes 3 tunes) = $799
New unlocked PCM = $999

This is the cost for 5-star to do their thing.

However, there's a caveat. You will need to bring your Bronco to a Ford dealer or certified shop and have them reprogram the new PCM with an FDRS device. There's currently no way around it, and I don't have an estimate on what this will cost.

Cleary Ford didn't make cracking the Bronco's PCM easy, but this is how it's going to be for the foreseeable future.

If you're interested, call Richie at 843-536-6288

Below are the results on a 93 octane Tune. Sounds like they can do E30/E50, but it hasn't been tested yet.

Keep in mind, this is not stock. It has the below modifications, hence why the baseline is high:

• SPD Downpipes
  • S&B CAI
  • Whipple Intercooler
  • Turbosmart BOV

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/LNLz3atiWocFhsXq/?mibextid=SphRi8&startTimeMs=1000

Ford Bronco 5 Star Tuning Custom Tunes for 2021-2022 2.7L Broncos coming soon 1707147784086

Ford Bronco 5 Star Tuning Custom Tunes for 2021-2022 2.7L Broncos coming soon 1707147735315
Sponsored

Last edited:

Oden502

Wildtrak
First Name
Khalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am interested 😈

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are looking into SCT new device as well but wanted to ask members with a Bronco about it before comitting.

So Ford has the network pretty well locked.

This device SCT has come up with will not be an OBD2 flash but a bench flash.

You will have to unplug the ECU and plug an adapter into it that the handheld plugs into.

Is this something you WOULD DO? or would you rather wait for a more streamlined approach like an OBD2 flash?

Sponsored

Superthornbird

Everglades
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 2015 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

We are looking into SCT new device as well but wanted to ask members with a Bronco about it before comitting.

You will have to unplug the ECU and plug an adapter into it that the handheld plugs into.

Is this something you WOULD DO? or would you rather wait for a more streamlined approach like an OBD2 flash?
A obd2 flash. If I ever get my everglades I would be willing to be a guinea pig for you. I'm in the St Louis metro area

OP
OP
MWILD

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would definitely be interested if it offered the same benefits as the 5 Star Tune.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I remember Lethal giving me shit in a thread a few weeks ago, saying that tuning outside of the Ford Performance model, or the Panda model, would be impossible on the Bronco. And here we are.

My preference would be an OBD2 flash, but I'm not opposed to pulling the ECU and doing it that way. Ease of use and "foolproof" methodology is telling me that, from a vendor perspective, OBD2 is the smartest and safest.

JR

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I remember Lethal giving me shit in a thread a few weeks ago, saying that tuning outside of the Ford Performance model, or the Panda model, would be impossible on the Bronco. And here we are.

My preference would be an OBD2 flash, but I'm not opposed to pulling the ECU and doing it that way. Ease of use and "foolproof" methodology is telling me that, from a vendor perspective, OBD2 is the smartest and safest.

JR

Its the first workaround of the locked network.

I am awaiting ours to show up to see how much I trust the process before releasing a pre order to my customers.

This is going to be some work to teach and make sure people understand how to plug ECU connections back in properly etc.

I am still hopeful on a OBD flash in the coming months but so far no hard evidence anyone has gotten to that level yet.

HP Tuners on the 21+ F150 has with a unlock of the ECU at their place (Still pulling it etc but after customers can flash through the OBD2) We will see how this first step progresses everyone to a better solution down the road.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Its the first workaround of the locked network.

I am awaiting ours to show up to see how much I trust the process before releasing a pre order to my customers.

This is going to be some work to teach and make sure people understand how to plug ECU connections back in properly etc.

I am still hopeful on a OBD flash in the coming months but so far no hard evidence anyone has gotten to that level yet.

HP Tuners on the 21+ F150 has with a unlock of the ECU at their place (Still pulling it etc but after customers can flash through the OBD2) We will see how this first step progresses everyone to a better solution down the road.
Have you thought about an option for a send away/flash/return process? I know that's pretty popular for a lot of zee German vehicles. It doesn't stop people from having to remove and reinstall the ECU, but might take some of the tomfoolery out of the process for people that aren't familiar with the finer points of data connections and such.

JR

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you thought about an option for a send away/flash/return process? I know that's pretty popular for a lot of zee German vehicles. It doesn't stop people from having to remove and reinstall the ECU, but might take some of the tomfoolery out of the process for people that aren't familiar with the finer points of data connections and such.

JR

Yes! this is honestly what I am hoping for out of the other camps. Is we can send your ECU off get it unlocked then re install and we tune through the OBD2 after.

We are constantly in the conversations for the best solution and what we would support and not!

Also we are starting to get many different parts to test and be able to offer some different maps on our PPM to customers that still want to remain untraceable :)

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes! this is honestly what I am hoping for out of the other camps. Is we can send your ECU off get it unlocked then re install and we tune through the OBD2 after.

We are constantly in the conversations for the best solution and what we would support and not!

Also we are starting to get many different parts to test and be able to offer some different maps on our PPM to customers that still want to remain untraceable :)
That's great to hear! I'm probably on a hold until my warranty runs out, but I'd definitely tune once that happens. I'd also be interested to see how things play out with dealer detection of ECU flashes, even if you go back to stock.

JR

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OBD2 would be great!!

Krimzun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP/JEEP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably a no for me, not that I'm worried about unplugging, but I'd much rather this be OBD2. There are a lot of custom options on that list if I was going that deep in I'd just take it to a custom shop and let them do all the work for that price.

OgBroncoBoi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22’ ManLands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if it will offer rev matching like the Ford Performance tune for the 2.3 manual. That’s my deciding factor.
Sponsored