Sponsored

6000 miles, Starter issue Auto start stop?

Southern62

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2.7L Outer Banks. 2023 model, Jan this year, 6000 miles. Auto start stop had me sitting at a green light dead in the water. Then trying to start it... click click, finally starts. Decided it was a battery issue, bought a new one. Same thing. Took to dealer, diagnostics... and needs a new starter. Now I was never a conspiracy guy on the start stop thing... but its staying off when I get the truck back. Yay for warranty.
Sponsored

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a EPA rating thing. That being said something like a mean green starter is meant for abuse...

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

do some research on the USPS and the horrific mistake they made buying auto start/stop vehicles.

I delete that trash.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That broken starter is the reason why I did the FORScan mod to turn it off for good. I know that Ford locked us out of the module starting in 2022 and after. Scan the FORScan thread on here to find out how others have turned it off. Good luck.

Sponsored

Jsb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco wildtrack, 2019 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a similar thing happen to me on my Jeep rubicon. Probably the most useless thing ever put on a vehicle. I do not believe it saves fuel. In fact depending on your driving conditions it probably uses more and wears out your battery and starter at the same time. The pro-cal tune will shut it off permanently.

DKG

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Cracks me up seeing posts about all these wiring things/work arounds to disable Auto StopStart.. is it REALLY that hard to just PUSH THE BUTTON to turn it off before driving?? :). I'll never get back those 3.5 seconds every day, I guess. ;)

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cracks me up seeing posts about all these wiring things/work arounds to disable Auto StopStart.. is it REALLY that hard to just PUSH THE BUTTON to turn it off before driving?? :). I'll never get back those 3.5 seconds every day, I guess. ;)
It's not hard to turn off but if you're out running errands or something, parking, turn it off, run in, come back out, start it up again to go to your next errand, blah blah, that's a lot of button pushing and it does get old. I had it on my Audi A4 and got used to it but still not a fan.

My workaround is to put the Bronco into Sport mode which automatically disables start/stop as soon as you put it into drive. After you turn the Bronco off, when you come back and start her up, the dash will prompt you if you want to return to Sport mode and you click 'Ok' and the start/stop is disabled again. For me, that's "problem solved" as I really like Sport mode in the 2.7 anyway.

DKG

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"My workaround is to put the Bronco into Sport mode..."

OH lord,y...this I did not know.. I am SOO doomed now.. hahah ;)

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ASS starters are designed for the "severe" duty they see.

They are generally larger than a "regular" starter, have much more torque, and turn slower.

Those characteristics coupled with how quickly a DI engine can start compared to a non-di motor definitely makes buying into the fear that ASS starters are gonna burn out all the time a waste of good worry.

Sponsored

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ASS starters are designed for the "severe" duty they see.

They are generally larger than a "regular" starter, have much more torque, and turn slower.

Those characteristics coupled with how quickly a DI engine can start compared to a non-di motor definitely makes buying into the fear that ASS starters are gonna burn out all the time a waste of good worry.
Good point and I don't disagree with you. Worrying about stuff like that is a waste of time for sure - but I'd see that as a separate issue from the fact that it's a daily annoyance for most.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good point and I don't disagree with you. Worrying about stuff like that is a waste of time for sure - but I'd see that as a separate issue from the fact that it's a daily annoyance for most.

My first vehicle with ASS was my 21 ranger.

Before I bought the thing, I had planned on buying the 'delete' because everyone on the forums incessantly moaned on about how they'd rather have scabies than the damn ASS and how annoying it was blah blah blah and whatever else...

After a week of driving it... I found that I actually felt better about myself.

How? Well.. i never thought of myself as someone with a lot of patience. Always thought I was someone who was annoyed extremely easily and had no desire to deal with things I didn't want to. Mountains out of molehills If you will.

After that week I found that I didn't care.. and started to get a chuckle out of everyone who gets their panties all In a twist about something so incredibly minor.

Everyone's different though, I can see how it would bug some folks. I just think to say it's an annoyance to MOST is a bit of a stretch.

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My first vehicle with ASS was my 21 ranger.

Before I bought the thing, I had planned on buying the 'delete' because everyone on the forums incessantly moaned on about how they'd rather have scabies than the damn ASS and how annoying it was blah blah blah and whatever else...

After a week of driving it... I found that I actually felt better about myself.

How? Well.. i never thought of myself as someone with a lot of patience. Always thought I was someone who was annoyed extremely easily and had no desire to deal with things I didn't want to. Mountains out of molehills If you will.

After that week I found that I didn't care.. and started to get a chuckle out of everyone who gets their panties all In a twist about something so incredibly minor.

Everyone's different though, I can see how it would bug some folks. I just think to say it's an annoyance to MOST is a bit of a stretch.
Well put. To be clear, I'm not saying it's gotten my feathers that ruffled overall. Just addressing some previous commenters, because everyone's opinion is different. But you make a good point. I guess the only thing I can add is that, Ford, among other manufacturers, has made it an OPTION to delete the function, so there's definitely a population out there that appreciate that. But as far as your earlier statements, that's great philosophy at work and maybe good for a whole new forum/website/string whatever :)

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well put. To be clear, I'm not saying it's gotten my feathers that ruffled overall. Just addressing some previous commenters, because everyone's opinion is different. But you make a good point. I guess the only thing I can add is that, Ford, among other manufacturers, has made it an OPTION to delete the function, so there's definitely a population out there that appreciate that. But as far as your earlier statements, that's great philosophy at work and maybe good for a whole new forum/website/string whatever :)

I believe I remember talk about the factory ASS deleting (at least on some models) being more about various parts constraints rather than ford actually listening to its customers wishes.

BUT! we know not to blindly trust hearsay so.. who knows 😋