Sponsored

AUTO STOP START DANGEROUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3063

Since you took delivery just the other day I have every confidence you'll adapt.

Your first auto stop equipped?
"Then you counter with over acceleration, then it's all a mess."
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it really cut out due to the auto start/stop you need to have a dealer check it out immediately.

But requesting, or even thinking, that Ford is going to allow dealers to disable it or be allowed to install a blocker in unrealistic. Auto start/stop is used to help boost gas mileage and meet CAFE standards and the Bronco is one of the least fuel efficient vehicles in the Ford line-up bringing down the fleet average. Ford isn't going to allow the Bronco to be sold with it disabled.

Besides, this isn't new technology and has been around for several years. Please report back with the dealerships diagnosis.

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was worried about delayed throttle response the first time I drove my wife's escape and it auto stopped. I thought, what would happen if you needed to turn left in front of traffic and this thing dies. So at the next red light it shut down, and I waited for the light to turn green like a top fuel dragster. Green light, I lifted off the brake as fast as I could and stomped the throttle, and you know what it, started up and began accelerating instantly. I tried it again at the next few lights and found out it's reaction time is better than mine. 😆

What I do worry about is coking the turbo bearings with burnt oil sitting in them after coming of the freeway. That can't be good for turbo life .

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it really cut out due to the auto start/stop you need to have a dealer check it out immediately.

But requesting, or even thinking, that Ford is going to allow dealers to disable it or be allowed to install a blocker in unrealistic. Auto start/stop is used to help boost gas mileage and meet CAFE standards and the Bronco is one of the least fuel efficient vehicles in the Ford line-up bringing down the fleet average. Ford isn't going to allow the Bronco to be sold with it disabled.

Besides, this isn't new technology and has been around for several years. Please report back with the dealerships diagnosis.
Right or wrong, I’m pretty sure it is against the “Federal Code of Regulations” to tamper with, bypass, render inoperative, disconnect, et. all, any automotive pollution control device.

emoty-c

Big Bend
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco?
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have to wonder if what the OP felt was turbo lag. I’ve had this happen before on my Ranger and learned my lesson. I was pulling a u a little too close to oncoming cars and when I hit the gas the turbo lag was just enough to make me pucker. The truck did seem like it shut off but was really just spooling up.
I have not had this happen in the Bronco bc I drive better now but I could see a possible scenario like the OP describes.

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Auto start stop is one of the most shortsighted "innovations" I've seen. Unless you're on the 405 every day, it's useless. Pressing the button is literally the second thing I do after starting my Bronco.

Also, in my opinion, there is little reason to upgrade from the standard package – added sensors and nannies do not outweigh the unlocked features.

I also wish this had a real key, physical emergency brake and transfer case but the crawler gear makes up for all that.

Tom_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t mind the auto on/off at all as it has to help with mpg. Sometimes it will sit off for a full minute at a stop light. Sometimes it’s annoying in traffic but then can just turn it off. There’s got to be some data out there on auto start and mpg. Not every manufacturer does it so maybe it’s not cut and dry.
Audi has some data on their SS. They say as long as the engine is off more than 7 seconds it saves gas. I kept it on in my Audi when I first got it and really paid attention to how often it would restart before 7 seconds, it isn't worth it for me. Every time I get in that car it's a 2 step sequence, press the start button then press the SS disable button. I don't even notice I do it anymore.

BroncoNapped

Base
First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait, you received your Bronco and are actually driving it around???
Right!!
Reserved a year later....wish I went through that dealership :sneaky:

Sponsored

Just Ice

Wildtrak
First Name
Jessica Justice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$100 you can get the auto start/stop eliminator.

$50 cable you can forscan it.

$0 hit a button to shut it off.

pricele$$ no as/s
No thanks. “You should sue somebody” is definitely the best solution to this problem.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My 2020 F-150 5.0 did that once, even though I had disabled A.S.S. at the start of my drive. I was making a 5-10 mph slow left-hand turn, but definitely moving. I wasn't on the gas yet to pull out of the turn, but I wasn't on the brake either. All of a sudden it died, no warning. There was some message on the screen about A.S.S. After I came to a stop, I put it in Park, turned the key, and it fired right back up. Never happened again. Yet. Very troubling. Thankfully I was in a quiet residential neighborhood.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I agree. Never was an issue for me in years of using it.
I understand people don’t like it but it saves gas as proven many times, and I believe there is no need to reject extra smoke and emission in this world when stationary or not needed, so I leave it on.

To say that this feature is dangerous is not a true statement
It is absolutely dangerous when it malfunctions and causes your engine to cut off unexpectedly while moving, as happened to me. And I blame the A.S.S. because the message on the dash said something like "auto-stop malfunction". The dealer did not find any codes.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
So unless you had a defect, the start/stop only stops if you're standing on the brakes, not moving and, not trying to turn the steering wheel. Even letting off the brakes a tiny little bit or slight movement to the steering wheel, it re-starts.

So ya, you need to get your shit checked out or this is a non-issue...

Agreed. This sounds like a different issue with it stalling for some reason.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.