Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone installed the 4/7 pin wiring harness that ford is selling?

any tips on instillation?

I’m surprised there aren’t any YT videos out there.?.
Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
slycat67

slycat67

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are a few threads that cover this. If I remember right, the wiring is a bit of a pain for finding a connection point for the brakes. I think one of the spots mentioned was tying into the third brake light wire.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/easy-diy-7-pin-tow-package-complete.65386/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/adding-a-7-pin-factory-wiring-harness.77345/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...in-tow-wiring-for-factory-installation.80682/
ty!!

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I helped my neighbor with the install—he had a 2021 2.3L Big Bend that he bought while waiting for his Wildtrak. After the UAW strike hit he got tired of waiting and bought the 4/7-pin kit. (He has since taken delivery of his Eruption Green Wildtrak and I'm slightly jealous.)

I had intended to make a video out of the install, but when I showed up he had already completed 90% of the work. He just wanted my help for the FDRS programming step, and the step where you have to re-pin a connector near the driver front tire. So the video idea ended up being a bust unfortunately—but he bought me lunch in the end, so I ain't complaining.

Part of the installation requires programming/configuring the vehicle... and not a whole lot of people have the equipment to do that. So I suspect many people are just getting their dealership to do it.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I helped my neighbor with the install—he had a 2021 2.3L Big Bend that he bought while waiting for his Wildtrak. After the UAW strike hit he got tired of waiting and bought the 4/7-pin kit. (He has since taken delivery of his Eruption Green Wildtrak and I'm slightly jealous.)

I had intended to make a video out of the install, but when I showed up he had already completed 90% of the work. He just wanted my help for the FDRS programming step, and the step where you have to re-pin a connector near the driver front tire. So the video idea ended up being a bust unfortunately—but he bought me lunch in the end, so I ain't complaining.

Part of the installation requires programming/configuring the vehicle... and not a whole lot of people have the equipment to do that. So I suspect many people are just getting their dealership to do it.
I ordered the OEM Bronco Brake Controller and 7-pin harness through Ford. Waiting on parts. Will let the Dealer install. Too complicated and too much work for me to diy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
slycat67

slycat67

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

that’s great input! ty and appreciate your YT videos as well! Liked audio upgrade in particular. :)

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did my own install and like @RagnarKon says, I had to get the dealer to “turn on” the module after it was installed. If you like clean, factory looking installs, then yes, this will be a 100% PITA to install, but if you enjoy doing your own work, then you’ll enjoy taking on this project. Assuming you got the factory Lumen kit, the instructions that come with it are very, very accurate. I too was looking for a YT video, but couldn’t find one. In the end, it took me all day to get it done and an $89 fee for the dealer to click a button on their computer.

lonepalm

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 F250, '21 Explorer, 22 Race Red BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Me and a buddy did mine last Thursday. It took about 4 hours. The kit is well thought out and the instructions are very detailed. Another friend who works at a local dealer did the programming through FDRS. All in all it was a straight forward installation.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered the OEM Bronco Brake Controller and 7-pin harness through Ford. Waiting on parts. Will let the Dealer install. Too complicated and too much work for me to diy.
I'd recommend that you purchase the installation through the Ford site as well or at least tell the installing dealer what the Ford site installation cost is. That way you know what the price will be. I had the dealer install my 4 pin harness. Cost through the Ford site was ~$225. The dealer spent about 8 hours installing but only charged the ~$225. On another thread someone paid dealer price for installation of what you are purchasing and it was MUCH more than the site price.

Mr Toad

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The instructions end with using FDRS to enable Tow Function, but the trailer lights all function even if you don't have access to FDRS equipment to program/configure it. I don't know if maybe it gives you a Tow/Haul option in GOAT, but you don't have to do it just to get the lights to work. If (more like WHEN) it goes in for a recall, I'll ask the dealership to enable the Tow Function through FDRS. I'm working on a video and will post it to YouTube soon.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The instructions end with using FDRS to enable Tow Function, but the trailer lights all function even if you don't have access to FDRS equipment to program/configure it. I don't know if maybe it gives you a Tow/Haul option in GOAT, but you don't have to do it just to get the lights to work. If (more like WHEN) it goes in for a recall, I'll ask the dealership to enable the Tow Function through FDRS. I'm working on a video and will post it to YouTube soon.
It just enables integration with the rest of the vehicle for things like sway control, trailer light checks, automatically turning on/off the rear sensors & BLIS, etc.

You are correct, it is not strictly necessary, and the trailer lights will still function even without the programming step. Just don't get the full integration.

Mr Toad

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands