Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah, 38’s
Well if you have seen 74Weld flex out their bronco with stock suspension on 38s... No rubbing per their report. I will and have been doing some trimming with 40's.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I am down here at SMORR, and today I wheeled w/some pretty hard-core jeep guys, on some reasonably hairy trails, in TORRENTIAL weather. There were some slick rock waterfalls and such that we simply weren't going to try in this weather. Peewee's crossing was epic tho, and the portals made it EFFORTLESS! You could whitewater raft on Peewee's today, but I was high and dry! I did get stuck when I took kinda a bad line on "rocker knocker", and had to winch...only to have my winch rope fail! Upshot is that I neither heard, nor saw evidence of any tire rub, and I flexed it pretty good! I'm here till Friday and the weather is supposed to clear up tonight and be nice all week.

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So I am down here at SMORR, and today I wheeled w/some pretty hard-core jeep guys, on some reasonably hairy trails, in TORRENTIAL weather. There were some slick rock waterfalls and such that we simply weren't going to try in this weather. Peewee's crossing was epic tho, and the portals made it EFFORTLESS! You could whitewater raft on Peewee's today, but I was high and dry! I did get stuck when I took kinda a bad line on "rocker knocker", and had to winch...only to have my winch rope fail! Upshot is that I neither heard, nor saw evidence of any tire rub, and I flexed it pretty good! I'm here till Friday and the weather is supposed to clear up tonight and be nice all week.
That is awesome to hear! Glad you're having a good time!
Keep on giving us the updates!

Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So question for all you smart guys out there. With the portals in the equation. What does the final drive be considered? Right now I have 4.7 in the rear and I know the portals do the gearing at the tires but what would be the equivalent rear to what we end up with at the tire?
Just curious!

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So question for all you smart guys out there. With the portals in the equation. What does the final drive be considered? Right now I have 4.7 in the rear and I know the portals do the gearing at the tires but what would be the equivalent rear to what we end up with at the tire?
Just curious!
If you are calculating out to the hub it would be about a 5.73....

Interesting thing though... I have not changed any of the gear ration in the procal... OR the tire size... computer still reads 4.7 and 35s.... and my speedo is darn near accurate.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting thing though... I have not changed any of the gear ration in the procal... OR the tire size... computer still reads 4.7 and 35s.... and my speedo is darn near accurate.
What are you running.?I was told best to regear down to 4.10 to run 38's from the stock 35's

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So it would be like putting 5.73 on the rear?

Yeah you an anomaly 🤣
Mine is off, about four at slow speeds and up to about 6 at 80. So I just always figure 6

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@5GENIDN

straighten me out here 74weld advertises 22% lower gear ratio at the hub.

So compared with SAS:4.70*1.22= 5.73.

Your computer is still set to SAS 4.70 and 34.4” tire. So the effective increased tire diameter is (5.73/4.70)*34.4= 41.9”.

your computer thinks you traveled 41.9 miles but you only traveled 40 miles if you have 40” tires. So about 5% low on speedo, about 10% if you are running 38s.

is this not correct or is there something more to this?

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@5GENIDN

straighten me out here 74weld advertises 22% lower gear ratio at the hub.

So compared with SAS:4.70*1.22= 5.73.

Your computer is still set to SAS 4.70 and 34.4” tire. So the effective increased tire diameter is (5.73/4.70)*34.4= 41.9”.

your computer thinks you traveled 41.9 miles but you only traveled 40 miles if you have 40” tires. So about 5% low on speedo, about 10% if you are running 38s.

is this not correct or is there something more to this?
I have mine set at 562 rev/mi and 5.40, and it reads 4mph slow at 75 (I set cruise at 71 for 75, checked w/GPS app on phone. Had to do something driving the LONG way through IL!). Speedo doesn't factor gear ratio at all, it just goes off tire size. MT has no speed sensor anywhere in the driveline. AT does for OBD compliance, but thats all its there for. Because Quinn had to make the front and rear agree, he reduced the tooth count on the rear tone rings from 44 to 34(?). The axles he sends ya w/the kit have those tone rings already on them, therefore the computer neither knows, nor cares about the ratio

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have mine set at 562 rev/mi and 5.40, and it reads 4mph slow at 75 (I set cruise at 71 for 75, checked w/GPS app on phone. Had to do something driving the LONG way through IL!). Speedo doesn't factor gear ratio at all, it just goes off tire size. MT has no speed sensor anywhere in the driveline. AT does for OBD compliance, but thats all its there for. Because Quinn had to make the front and rear agree, he reduced the tooth count on the rear tone rings from 44 to 34(?). The axles he sends ya w/the kit have those tone rings already on them, therefore the computer neither knows, nor cares about the ratio
I also think the front are reading off the idler gear in the portal. I think that is why you have to switch the passenger and the driver gear speed sensors.... Just a guess on my part.... also looking at where the pick up resides on the portal.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So it would be like putting 5.73 on the rear?

Yeah you an anomaly 🤣
Mine is off, about four at slow speeds and up to about 6 at 80. So I just always figure 6
Well I guess it is all relative... 5 or 6 at 80 I see as pretty close. I have been driving a truck that is about 5 or 6 off at 80 for almost 16 years now.... 😁

So the speedo reading a couple under what I am actually doing is normal for me... (couple under = 5 or 6 at 80... 2 to 3 at 40) close enough for the police around here. No tickets in 20 plus years... and that one was bogus.... He just did not like me. 🤣 :unsure:;)

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also think the front are reading off the idler gear in the portal. I think that is why you have to switch the passenger and the driver gear speed sensors.... Just a guess on my part.... also looking at where the pick up resides on the portal.
The front reads a mag-strip type tone ring on the hub bearing. The sensor is positioned in the portal box in the same orientation as the stock knuckle, just on the other side (which is why you have to switch left and right). If you look at the portal box they actually drilled and tapped both sides for the sensor and put a dummy plug in the unused hole

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The front reads a mag-strip type tone ring on the hub bearing. The sensor is positioned in the portal box in the same orientation as the stock knuckle, just on the other side (which is why you have to switch left and right). If you look at the portal box they actually drilled and tapped both sides for the sensor and put a dummy plug in the unused hole
That makes even more sense!
Sponsored