Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Finally ford offers what we need...Definitely a better swap option than the mustang version.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/04/2024-ford-f-150-raptor-r-5-2l-v8-crate-engine-available-now/amp/
I know you are going ford-ford... but I just throw this out for consideration... This is not my forte. BUT Flying Miata used a "translation box" that they acquired from a German mining equipment company added a couple thousand hours of can bus sniffing and were able to get a GM 6.2 in a Miata all talking together through the translator. Everything worked as factory.

I understand you to be avoiding that step. I mention it only as a fall back option.

For those that are responding angry... Understand I am NOT suggesting using a gm product in a ford.... only saying that there is a "translation box" that could possibly be helpful??? to get one computer module to speak to another. Again not my forte.... Just trying to imagine all the options by trying to think outside the box.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know you are going ford-ford... but I just throw this out for consideration... This is not my forte. BUT Flying Miata used a "translation box" that they acquired from a German mining equipment company added a couple thousand hours of can bus sniffing and were able to get a GM 6.2 in a Miata all talking together through the translator. Everything worked as factory.

I understand you to be avoiding that step. I mention it only as a fall back option.
Off topic, but I can only imagine how crazy fun a 6.2L powered Miata would be, it's essentially a go kart with a corvette motor haha

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Off topic, but I can only imagine how crazy fun a 6.2L powered Miata would be, it's essentially a go kart with a corvette motor haha
Makes me think of that ol' Darwin Award story with the guy who strapped a surplus rocket motor to a car and managed to ram it into a cliff halfway up... lol

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got more details on that translation box? I think thats the key to doing swaps in any of these modern rigs.

Still breaks my heart that nobody wants to offer diesel crate engines, other than the made in china 2.8 cummins... such a missed opportunity. But this 5.2 is sick! Huge advantage swap wise to having a single PCM ready to run the engine without all the other full integration. but some type of translation box will be needed to make the vehicle happy with or without its OEM PCM...

I've been dreaming of (someone else) starting a company that makes a module which can basically connect any engine to any vehicle by cracking the CAN communication/signal names/addresses.

If this translator box can do that, thats the ticket. Perhaps it requires a lot of testing to figure out each vehicle and donor motor, but still.

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

This is where I was leaning before the Bronco... Flying miata would do the conversion for you, just show up with your Miata ND and a check for $55,000.00. 525 HP and weighed in a 2650 lbs finished. 0 to 60 right at 3 sec. 6 speed manual and rear end out of a Camaro. The 6.2 was a create motor with racing cam from GM.

BUT... Owners decided to retire and sold the company to the employees who decided not to offer the conversion in house.... Was looking at doing the work myself but ended up choosing the Bronco instead.

Lots of online video about the conversion... FM called it the Habu.... Small poisonous snake from Japan like Cobra or Viper etc.... Several Mags did articles about it.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Got more details on that translation box? I think thats the key to doing swaps in any of these modern rigs.

Still breaks my heart that nobody wants to offer diesel crate engines, other than the made in china 2.8 cummins... such a missed opportunity. But this 5.2 is sick! Huge advantage swap wise to having a single PCM ready to run the engine without all the other full integration. but some type of translation box will be needed to make the vehicle happy with or without its OEM PCM...

I've been dreaming of (someone else) starting a company that makes a module which can basically connect any engine to any vehicle by cracking the CAN communication/signal names/addresses.

If this translator box can do that, thats the ticket. Perhaps it requires a lot of testing to figure out each vehicle and donor motor, but still.
I would contact Flying Miata out of Colorado.... I do not remember the name of the company that supplied the translator. I just remember it was a German Mining equipment company that sourced giant motors from one place and transmissions from another and and and.....

I also remember when they (FM) were in the process there was months and months that went by where they had to do can bus sniffing to learn the entire Mazda language and then the entire GM language and THEN teach the translation box how to communicate in both directions.... After that they started adding in all sorts of "fun" stuff like if the windshield wipers were "off" if you changed the "interval" for the wiper delay it would open/close (by interval percentage) a set of butterfly valves for a muffler bypass relative to the amount of throttle.
https://flyinmiata.com Talk to Keith Tanner.... He would have the info...

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Back in the day it was all about putting a pushrod 5.0 in a Miata. Monster Miata they called it. Had a car show at the parts store I used to work at and a guy showed up with an LS powered Miata. That thing was nasty.

Reminds me of a 427 AC Cobra. 😉

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is where I was leaning before the Bronco... Flying miata would do the conversion for you, just show up with your Miata ND and a check for $55,000.00. 525 HP and weighed in a 2650 lbs finished. 0 to 60 right at 3 sec. 6 speed manual and rear end out of a Camaro. The 6.2 was a create motor with racing cam from GM.

BUT... Owners decided to retire and sold the company to the employees who decided not to offer the conversion in house.... Was looking at doing the work myself but ended up choosing the Bronco instead.

Lots of online video about the conversion... FM called it the Habu.... Small poisonous snake from Japan like Cobra or Viper etc.... Several Mags did articles about it.
That would be a wild package for sure.
HABU Hellsfire All Balls Up SR-71 ;)

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Back in the day it was all about putting a pushrod 5.0 in a Miata. Monster Miata they called it. Had a car show at the parts store I used to work at and a guy showed up with an LS powered Miata. That thing was nasty.

Reminds me of a 427 AC Cobra. 😉
Yeah... but the "monsters" were running iron block that really upset the front rear balance.... The whole idea with the miata is to try to get to a 50/50 front rear and keeping total weight down. The 6.2 is all aluminum and weighs only 25 lbs more than the iron block stock 4.... the trans and the diff add another 225 lbs so total weight added was about 250 lbs and distribution went fron 51-49 to a 53-47.... With FMs racing suspension and a little wider tires it still was close to the same "momentum" car in the corners and yet had 2.5 times the HP and torque.

Habu = smaller Japanese version of Cobra... Snake and Car.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

better question: How do you make it fit?
Get some shops like 74weld to get in the business of making billet oil pans for different motors that fit around the Bronco subframe/Axle. maybe even dry sump. Someones gotta do it! The Bronco engine bay is actually pretty forgiving side to side. (if you dont mind moving batteries and modules out of the way). but the front axle and crossmember likes to get in the way.
Sponsored